Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Gold

Quote from: hardstation on April 28, 2009, 11:38:32 PM
Why not The Horseshoe?

I'll tell you why.......because yer boy is one of the most ignorant b**tards to walk this earth.

the horseshoe is great for a steak--id head there now if i could
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

FermPundit

Wednesday, 29 April.

SFL Division 1

Belcoo  1-10 0-6 St. Patricks   
St. Josephs  0-6 2-9 Devenish   
Teemore  1-11 1-11 Roslea 
Enniskillen beat Tempo
Newtown v Derrygonnelly - unknown result

SFL Division 2

Erne Gaels  0-5 1-4 Derrylin   
Aughadrumsee  1-4 1-10 Coa
Brookeboro  1-11 1-8 Kinawley
Irvinestown v Skea - unknown result

We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

FermGael

According to the Hoganstand Fermanagh page the Derrygonelly v Newtown game was abandonded due to Raymie Johnston picking up a nasty injury.
Anybody shed any light on this story??

Good result for Ourselves last night.  was not at the game but heard that McCarron played very well.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

FermPundit

Quote from: FermGael on April 30, 2009, 10:55:40 AM
According to the Hoganstand Fermanagh page the Derrygonelly v Newtown game was abandonded due to Raymie Johnston picking up a nasty injury.
Anybody shed any light on this story??

Good result for Ourselves last night.  was not at the game but heard that McCarron played very well.

Yeah, apparently Raymie broke his leg pretty badly last night. He has been a loyal servant to Fermanagh football over the years so I hope he makes a speedy recovery and is back playing club football in the not too distance future.

I hear Aiden McCarron (hoganstand, so a very reliable source) scored 8 points last night. With him at full forward, assisted by McCabe, Mattie Keenan, Bradley and Tom Brewster in the forward line, the Gaels will be very dangerous this season.

A big surprise last night with Derrylin beating Erne Gaels. I was a bit harsh on Belleek, given that they beat Kinawley last week, but a home defeat against Derrylin is very poor, especially for a team pushing for promotion to division one.

Caid

Quote from: No1 on April 29, 2009, 10:40:20 AM
Caid, that's absolutely brilliant, thanks a million.

Not a bother.  You can buy me a pint in Enniskillen sure.  I'll be the semi concious one singing "ye can stick yer 5 Sams up yer ass"

Na I won't really. Honest, Jaysus i'd love a Sam....
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

FermPundit

Quote from: Caid on April 30, 2009, 09:59:43 PM
Quote from: No1 on April 29, 2009, 10:40:20 AM
Caid, that's absolutely brilliant, thanks a million.

Not a bother.  You can buy me a pint in Enniskillen sure.  I'll be the semi concious one singing "ye can stick yer 5 Sams up yer ass"

Na I won't really. Honest, Jaysus i'd love a Sam....

Calm youself, Caid. An Anglo Celt would do us for now.

KIDDO 4

Leitrim 1.18, Fermanagh 1.8, in the Connacht junior championship played last night in Carrick OnShannon.

ExiledGael

Connacht Junior Championship? Sometimes the GAA really baffles me.
Any word on Raymie Johnston? Big blow for Newtown, must have been pretty bad to lead to the match being abandoned.

Caid

Juniors brush aside Fermanagh to advance
PJ Leddy
773 words
7 May 2009
Leitrim Observer
English
© 2009. Johnston Publishing Limited

Leitrim had a relatively easy win over Fermanagh in Friday evening's high scoring Connacht Junior championship preliminary game in Páirc Seán MacDiarmada as they advanced to meet Mayo in the semi-final on Friday, May 15.

CONNACHT JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIP

LEITRIM 1-18

FERMANAGH 1-8

Fermanagh were slightly more impressive than Leitrim in the opening quarter and narrowly shaded the proceedings in this period before Leitrim stormed ahead in the second quarter and built up a double scores halftime lead after holding Fermanagh scoreless for the last nineteen minutes of the first half.

Matters were evenly matched in the first three minutes with Dara McKiernan popping over a Leitrim free and James Connolly replying with a Fermanagh point from play, although the Erne men had a let off when Dara McKiernan hit a fifth minute goal chance weakly into the hands of Fermanagh 'keeper James McGrath.

Stephen Feeney edged Leitrim in front when he fisted over three minutes later after receiving a pass from Emmett Mahon.

A Leitrim defensive error in the eleventh minute allowed Kevin Connolly through to blast home a Fermanagh goal and give the visitors the lead for the only time in the game.

To their credit, Leitrim responded well to this setback as Dara McKiernan whipped over a free, which was awarded for a foul on John McGuinness.

A foul on Ronan Gallagher four minutes later was punished by McKiernan when he levelled proceedings from the resultant free. The homes side regained the lead in the 22nd minute after a foul on Christopher Prior was similarly dealt with by McKiernan.

The Kiltubrid man put Leitrim further ahead from another free two minutes later after John McGuinness was fouled.

After receiving a pass from John McGuinness, Darren Sweeney shot a 30th minute point, which sent Leitrim in at the break with a healthy 0 – 8 to 1 – 1 advantage.

Leitrim increased their lead within 47 seconds of the restart when Dara McKiernan converted another free after he was fouled. It was sixty seconds later when Fermanagh registered their first score in twenty-one minutes after James Connolly shot over from play.

Any hopes fo a Fermanagh comeback were quickly dismissed as Dara McKiernan replied with his first Leitrim point from play within the space of another minute after receiving a pass from John McGuinness.

Over the next three minutes Leitrim stretched their lead to eight points after Wayne McKeon, Emmett Mahon and Christopher Prior shot over in turn from play. Meanwhile Seamus Ryder replied with a 39th minute Fermanagh point from play.

Leitrim refused to give their opponents a glimmer of hope as they hit back with two more points during the next five minutes when Christopher Prior and Dara McKiernan hit the target in turn. Lee McQuaid hit back with a Fermanagh point at the end of the third quarter while Leitrim 'keeper Anthony Conway made a smart save from an Eoghan Donnelly goal bound effort shortly afterwards.

Leitrim pulled further ahead in the first four minutes of the final quarter with Dara McKiernan and Christopher Prior adding a point apiece.

Fermanagh staged a mini rally between the 51st and 57th minutes when they closed the gap on Leitrim to seven points.

In this spell sub Daniel McGuillon shot two points for the Erne men and Seamus Ryder added a point. But Leitrim snuffed out the Fermanagh comeback when Sean McGourty finished off a good move with a 58th minute goal and sub Sean Murray added a point from play two minutes later.

Centre-back Darren McQuade hit a consolation point for Fermanagh just before the final whistle after a fine individual effort when he surged forward quite a distance with the ball before shooting over.

Leitrim:

Anthony Conway, Liam Ferguson, David Flynn, Wayne Gilgunn, Aidan Bohan, Stephen Feeney 0-1, Ciaran Kennedy, Darren Sweeney 0-1, Ronan Gallagher, Wayne McKeon 0-1, Sean McGourty 1-0, Christopher Prior 0-3, Dara McKiernan 0-10(7f.), Emmett Mahon 0-1, John McGuinness. Subs Sean Murray 0-1 for Gilgunn (56 mins.), Nigel Maguire for Mahon (56 mins.), Emmett Lee for Bohan (60 mins.), Conor O'Rourke for Ferguson (60 mins.).

Fermanagh:

James McGrath, Paul O'Brien, Niall McGovern, Shane McAloon, Paul O'Brien, Darren McQuade 0-1, Brian Óg Maguire, Eoghan Donnelly, Mark Lyons, Terry Flanagan, Niall McElroy, James Connolly 0-2, Kevin Connolly 1-0, Seamus Ryder 0- 2, Lee McQuaid 0-1. Subs Declan Drumm for M. O'Brien (HT), Paul McCusker for McEnroy (37 mins.), Daniel McGuillon 0-2 for Flanagan (39 mins.).

Referee: Oliver Kelly (Roscommon)
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

Caid

Conditioned to bring Gaelic footballers up to speed.
813 words
6 May 2009
Irish Times
English
(c) 2009, The Irish Times.
GAVIN CUMMISKEYhears Mike McGurn, the strength and conditioning coach for the Ospreys and WBA Super Bantamweight champion Bernard Dunne, explain why Gaelic games and athletics have always been a big part of his life
BEING FROM Fermanagh, Gaelic football and then athletics dominated my early sporting background. My passion became athletics. I did the 5,000, 10,000 and cross country.
It's funny because my uncle, Joe McGurn, was the chairman of the Fermanagh County Board for 21 years. I think he is the longest serving chairman in the GAA, so it was always part of our lives growing up.
I was attracted into athletics by the individual aspect. It always annoyed me when people weren't playing or training as hard as myself. I was very competitive and realised with athletics you only get what you put in yourself. You are not reliant on other guys. I started at around 15 or 16 and while I didn't have much talent, I worked hard at it.
Three years later I went on a four-year scholarship to Temple University in Philadelphia. I didn't really have a coach before I went to the States. My plans were to go to the European, Worlds and Olympics but I did my back in my junior year; a damaged hernia disc meaning a doctor was forced to tell me I couldn't run anymore.
This was the period in my life when I laid the foundations for what I do today. I was lucky in that I was the only Irish person in a university of 35,000 people so that got me a lot of privileges. They sent me down to spend time with 76ers (professional basketball team), the Flyers (Ice Hockey) and then the Eagles (NFL franchise), where I got to meet a guy called Pasquale "Pat" Croce.
Seeing Pat work, with both the Flyers and Eagles, certainly captured my imagination. This was 1992 and these guys were so far ahead of their time in their strength and conditioning techniques.
After my degree and post-grad in sports science I went over to lecture in England but became so bored of the lifestyle that I got involved with a small rugby league team up in Cumbria called Workington Town. I had never played rugby before in my life. I had some success with them leading to a guy called David Lloyd hearing about me. This led me to Hull, working with both the soccer (Hull City) and rugby league teams (Hull KR) in the town. Then I moved on to St Helens, where they won the treble – the world club championship, Superleague and Challenge Cup.
That eventually led to a meeting with Eddie O'Sullivan and a chance to come back and work in Ireland.
I played a lot with my club, Enniskillen Gaels, from under-14s and made the Fermanagh Vocational Schools side before I went off to the States. I didn't stop there, joining the Philadelphia Shamrocks in the summer time. There was a massive Irish league every summer with something like 12 to 14 teams playing every Sunday.
Last year I advised Fermanagh football manager Malachy O'Rourke right through the pre-season and during the year. I also do a lot of voluntary programmes for athletes. Basically I tell them what not to be doing.
The strength and conditioning element of Gaelic football remains a long way behind other sports. I took the (International) Rules squad with Seán Boylan last year. It was very intense but the boys were amazed by how little we trained and how specific the session were.
I'm not being critical of Gaelic games, they are amateur, but they do have a long way to go. Even in the gym. When I am up in Belfast I still see Gaelic footballers doing bench press and curls. There is no relevance to such work anymore.
When I agreed to give Malachy a hand last year I insisted on using four strength coaches, two in Fermanagh and two in Belfast, so that every session the boys did leading up to championship were supervised. I briefed the four fitness coaches and they briefed the players.
The conditioning of Gaelic players is improving, especially when you see the fruits of the work of guys like Pat Flanagan down in Kerry. John McCloskey has done a great job in Armagh and I believe there is a young lad up in Tyrone called Ryan Porter.
Fergus Connolly is now with Wales, he worked with Derry last year. He is a Monaghan man.
I'm coming back to Belfast this summer, to spend more time with my wife and six-month-old son Eoin, so I may be working more with the GAA and Irish athletes in the future.
Document IRTI000020090506e5560002t

FermPundit

I remember Mickey McGurn took us for a couple of training sessions a few years ago. Tough is one word you could use to describe them!! He's a superb fitness coach and he deserves a lot of credit for the recent success of the Irish rugby squad.

Mid Down Gael

I have a ticket for row A in John Vessey stand for sunday. Is this at touchline does anyone know. or is it like croke park AA at bottom and A first row under covered area?

FermGael

There are quite a few row A's in the John Vesey Stand Mid Down.
It should have someother identifer on it like,  CC or CU or EC etc???

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: FermGael on May 15, 2009, 11:23:11 PM
There are quite a few row A's in the John Vesey Stand Mid Down.
It should have someother identifer on it like,  CC or c* or EC etc???

Yeah section KC row A in John Vesey stand covered. Have i a good ticket or am i stuck in corner?

FermGael

As far as i can recall you are on the 21 at the front.