Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cut the crap

Interesting points made about secretary, let me add , there's no doubting he works hard but sometimes it's better to work smarter not harder , he doesn't delegate so gets little help , he likes to have control of everything Down does that make him a bad , no just a control junkie,we have a few things wrong at present , it's incomprehensible that we have several still on the executive that presided over the Burren bridge fiasco, they should be asked to leave, we have a high profile county player who delighted in rubbishing his beloved county in the local newry newspaper, again he should be asked to choose, paper or county he can't ride two horses at the same time, why wasn't Croke park not advised what was going down with Burrenbridge deal, apparently they were pulled in when the extent of the loss was revealed-a mess , and finally what's the feeling regarding the proposal which was voted down to let the executive have sole control in appointing all county managers, thankfully it was defeated but it leaves me questioning the motive and finally as an east down Gael why did we as a county fund the erection of lights in the Abbey , presently the minors are training in Ballykinlar , why did we as a county not upgrade those lights, maybe to sensible

imagine

Quote from: cut the crap on December 19, 2015, 10:13:52 PM
Interesting points made about secretary, let me add , there's no doubting he works hard but sometimes it's better to work smarter not harder , he doesn't delegate so gets little help , he likes to have control of everything Down does that make him a bad , no just a control junkie,we have a few things wrong at present , it's incomprehensible that we have several still on the executive that presided over the Burren bridge fiasco, they should be asked to leave, we have a high profile county player who delighted in rubbishing his beloved county in the local newry newspaper, again he should be asked to choose, paper or county he can't ride two horses at the same time, why wasn't Croke park not advised what was going down with Burrenbridge deal, apparently they were pulled in when the extent of the loss was revealed-a mess , and finally what's the feeling regarding the proposal which was voted down to let the executive have sole control in appointing all county managers, thankfully it was defeated but it leaves me questioning the motive and finally as an east down Gael why did we as a county fund the erection of lights in the Abbey , presently the minors are training in Ballykinlar , why did we as a county not upgrade those lights, maybe to sensible
My God,your grammar is terrible.

cut the crap

The use of the English language isn't the topic here but if it's your field of expertise why not  create a new topic for discussion.

Gaffer

Quote from: cut the crap on December 20, 2015, 09:39:42 PM
The use of the English language isn't the topic here but if it's your field of expertise why not  create a new topic for discussion.

No grammatical errors there except for the missing ? at the end!
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

thebar

x2

TheClutch

Could any one provide a general explanation of this Burrenbridge deal please?
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

johnneycool

Quote from: TheClutch on December 21, 2015, 10:16:59 AM

On the Burrenbridge/St Patricks Park, Newcastle/Tesco deal which I believe you are referring to I think you're wrong to single out the executive for this as our CB delegate was able to keep us informed of the progress/lack off and your CB delegate should have been able to do the same. I don't think any club delegate spoke out against it.
TBH the figures bandied about at the time would have been a game changer for Down GAA and it was no wonder they pursued it.
The land deal at Burrenbridge was to facilitate the move of Bryansford from St Patricks park and rightly so. The land prices mentioned were crazy, but so was the money on offer for the land in Newcastle.
I can't say there was one particular reason it fell through, delays in planning applications, the building bubble bursting and all that, but in all fairness if our executive hadn't seriously looked into this they'd have been castigated for being too conservative.
Of all the mistakes they've made over the years, this is one mistake, a costly one yes, is one they had to take.

johnneycool

Quote from: rosskarr on December 21, 2015, 11:59:54 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on December 21, 2015, 11:39:13 AM
Quote from: TheClutch on December 21, 2015, 10:16:59 AM

On the Burrenbridge/St Patricks Park, Newcastle/Tesco deal which I believe you are referring to I think you're wrong to single out the executive for this as our CB delegate was able to keep us informed of the progress/lack off and your CB delegate should have been able to do the same. I don't think any club delegate spoke out against it.
TBH the figures bandied about at the time would have been a game changer for Down GAA and it was no wonder they pursued it.
The land deal at Burrenbridge was to facilitate the move of Bryansford from St Patricks park and rightly so. The land prices mentioned were crazy, but so was the money on offer for the land in Newcastle.
I can't say there was one particular reason it fell through, delays in planning applications, the building bubble bursting and all that, but in all fairness if our executive hadn't seriously looked into this they'd have been castigated for being too conservative.
Of all the mistakes they've made over the years, this is one mistake, a costly one yes, is one they had to take.
JC,you're correct in most of what you say but the MISTAKE made was that we paid a non-refundable Deposit of over 400K,against the advice of our County legal people.

Two points, who's to say the land owner in question would have accepted the terms of a refundable deposit and if they'd refused we'd be looking for somewhere else to house Bryansford. In hindsight it was the wrong decision, but if they'd pulled it off there wouldn't have been a word about it, and secondly 'we' is the key word here, I'm presuming the entire county executive, trustee's and all were informed all along and part of the decision making process.

cut the crap

But that's the point no one other than the executive members involved knew about the non refundable deposit, those executive members went against legal advice in making such a deposit.The same members didn't inform the county board, had they done so it wouldn't have occurred as there are enough gifted businessmen and women in Down football to ensure such folly wouldn't occur.
Sack those executive members as they failed Down Gaels and I would hazard a guess that some of the same executive members are failed business people themselves and are hardly the calibre we need to steer us out of this mess.In order to achieve success on the field we need the proper administrative structures in place and the right people to be part of these structures.
It will be some achievement to rid the county of 1.4 million of debt payable by 10k each month for 17yrs , set up a centre of excellence and get Sam to come up again and see the mountains of Mourne, I wait more in hope than anticipation.

SamFever

Quote from: cut the crap on December 21, 2015, 06:58:49 PM
But that's the point no one other than the executive members involved knew about the non refundable deposit, those executive members went against legal advice in making such a deposit.The same members didn't inform the county board, had they done so it wouldn't have occurred as there are enough gifted businessmen and women in Down football to ensure such folly wouldn't occur.
Sack those executive members as they failed Down Gaels and I would hazard a guess that some of the same executive members are failed business people themselves and are hardly the calibre we need to steer us out of this mess.In order to achieve success on the field we need the proper administrative structures in place and the right people to be part of these structures.
It will be some achievement to rid the county of 1.4 million of debt payable by 10k each month for 17yrs , set up a centre of excellence and get Sam to come up again and see the mountains of Mourne, I wait more in hope than anticipation.
GM,quiet please.Sshh!

rosskarr

Quote from: cut the crap on December 21, 2015, 06:58:49 PM
I can't understand the fuss now over this as this has been flogged to death on here over the years.It's over and we are slowly sorting it.

snoopdog

What's the story with Benny. 1 minute its reported he is coming back to Down now he says he isn't. 
County board looking like idiots again.
Best of luck to Benny he owes Down football nothing. He gave his all for long enough.

SHEEDY

any word of a panel being named yet for the mckenna cup?
nil satis nisi optimum

Line Ball

Quote from: snoopdog on December 22, 2015, 03:38:18 PM
What's the story with Benny. 1 minute its reported he is coming back to Down now he says he isn't. 
Best of luck to Benny he owes Down football nothing. He gave his all for long enough.

Tweeting in the early hours of the morning that he is sticking with Mayobridge next year :-\

interested

Quote from: Line Ball on December 22, 2015, 05:07:22 PM
Quote from: snoopdog on December 22, 2015, 03:38:18 PM

Tweeting in the early hours of the morning that he is sticking with Mayobridge next year :-\
Maybe having a few pints after closing time. :'(