Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Are American food standards lower than European? Undoubtedly
Does European food taste better than American? Most definitely
Is there a bigger range of American food produce? Yes
Is American food cheaper than European? In most cases yes but for the standard local staples I would say Europe is actually cheaper. Meat definitely cheaper but I believe its more to do with the qty that can be produced in a country as vast as America than hormones or clones.

Comparing food between the two i a case of swings and roundabouts but Anyway my point is fear of American food is a little bit overblown. Id safely say I am way healthier living in America than I was in Ireland, Im lighter and I actually exercise less. The reason? I choose to not eat processed crap. I'd safely say the jamiedodger or tunnocks tea cake that you scoff down with your tea is way worse for your health than imported chicken.

If this is your reason for Remaining tho Id say you could leave without any fear at all. Far worse would be the decimation of the rural economy due to farmers having to compete on the global market. Any FTA agreement with Brazil or USA would involve stripping away farmers competitiveness, there would be less subsidies and less regulation, farm produce value would drop and many farms would be no longer economically viable.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 28, 2018, 03:29:30 PM
If this is your reason for Remaining tho Id say you could leave without any fear at all. Far worse would be the decimation of the rural economy due to farmers having to compete on the global market. Any FTA agreement with Brazil or USA would involve stripping away farmers competitiveness, there would be less subsidies and less regulation, farm produce value would drop and many farms would be no longer economically viable.

Which has a knock on effect on tourism.

Rural Ireland isn't going to hold great appeal to the tourist if most of the land has degraded into whins and thorn bushes.
i usse an speelchekor

omaghjoe

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on November 28, 2018, 03:47:33 PM

Which has a knock on effect on tourism.

Rural Ireland isn't going to hold great appeal to the tourist if most of the land has degraded into whins and thorn bushes.

Well its unlikely to as dystopian as that...my point was there would be less "commerce per acre"  you would more likely have large commercial farms with employment and less money going back through the local economy.

Besides if the land turned to its natural flora it would be deciduous woodland... tourists would love it! ;)

trailer

Are American food standards lower than European? Undoubtedly
Does European food taste better than American? Most definitely
Is there a bigger range of American food produce? Yes
Is American food cheaper than European? In most cases yes but for the standard local staples I would say Europe is actually cheaper. Meat definitely cheaper but I believe its more to do with the qty that can be produced in a country as vast as America than hormones or clones.

Comparing food between the two i a case of swings and roundabouts but Anyway my point is fear of American food is a little bit overblown. Id safely say I am way healthier living in America than I was in Ireland, Im lighter and I actually exercise less. The reason? I choose to not eat processed crap. I'd safely say the jamiedodger or tunnocks tea cake that you scoff down with your tea is way worse for your health than imported chicken.

How many chlorinated chickens do you average a week? What about steroid beef? How many kilos of that?

Jeepers Creepers

We've been drinking chlorine for years at the swimmers!

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:55:07 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on November 28, 2018, 01:41:38 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:31:33 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2018, 01:26:31 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:17:50 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on November 28, 2018, 01:12:51 PM
Quote from: trailer on November 28, 2018, 01:08:07 PM
Quote from: upmonaghansayswe on November 28, 2018, 11:49:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uAounOTBYw

Ahh Jasus.
Fair enough, I give me.
Brexit means farmers out of a job, steroids in our beef, chlorine chickens, Ecoli in our lettuce and maggots in our fruit. Everyone happy now?

How do Americans survive?

Badly, especially the poor;

https://stateofobesity.org/data/

American food standards are a race to the bottom as the large lobby groups from these sectors wield far too much power.

Home come 1/3 of children in the UK are obese?
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action/childhood-obesity-a-plan-for-action

Lazy ass parents feeding their kids crap food.. and the fact that shit food is cheaper than actually making a dinner with natural ingredients .. But mainly lazy parents :)

So, poor food standards in the US is making people fat, but in the UK it's lazy parents.
So either way, Brexit or No Brexit we're getting fat?
If the US food is cheaper then shouldn't we be supporting Brexit if we're gonna get fat either way? At least we'll be richer. No?

Cant see a belly full of maggots making you fat but it might make you sick, why are you combining two different subjects. Its not really strengthening your case.

I'm not. Others are. Johnnycool and MR2 L think.
Look, I appreciate your point. I get it that American standards are lower. I understand it. I just think everyone is getting carried away on headlines of Chlorinated Chicken.
The UK hasn't left the EU yet. They haven't done any trade deals with any countries let alone the USA. Now, who knows, a future trade deal with the US may or may not involve chlorinated chicken or Ecoli lettuce coming into the UK or TB infected cattle, or pig meat with dioxins heading out to them but I think everyone should take a deep breath and dial down the sensationalist hyperbole just a tad.

Cheap food by and large is bad for you irrespective what side of the Atlantic you live on. The poorer you are the more likely you are to depend on cheap food.

If McDonalds can produce a burger and sell it for 99p you really got to ask what's in it.

In the US they are allowed to put even more shit in it than the EU would allow. UK deregulation and opening up to US foodstuffs currently banned is only going to impact on the poorest in society when the HFCS starts clogging everything up. Obesity will only get worse when this happens.

MR may avail of cheaper Californian wine though.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: omaghjoe on November 28, 2018, 04:13:31 PM
Well its unlikely to as dystopian as that...my point was there would be less "commerce per acre"  you would more likely have large commercial farms with employment and less money going back through the local economy.

Besides if the land turned to its natural flora it would be deciduous woodland... tourists would love it! ;)

The large commercial farms would be by-and-by large around the less landscaped areas of the country (who goes to visit the lagan valley for the scenery?) - whereas the Mourne/Sperrin foothills and the Glens would be a disaster zone.

[Given the demographics of these areas - maybe the DUP are happy enough with that.]

I suppose the landowners could be given a grant for planting into woodland - the proverbial last rites to the hill farm.
i usse an speelchekor

bcarrier

QuoteHome come 1/3 of children in the UK are obese?

The quick answer is that the food pyramid we grew up with was the wrong way round. If you have the time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM

Milltown Row2

Wouldn't touch the stuff Johnny!!!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 28, 2018, 06:35:38 PM
Wouldn't touch the stuff Johnny!!!!

As they say up here "you would suck it through a sh..y sock"
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Eamonnca1

Did any of you ever read Fast Food Nation? Some eye-opener, that. The workers in American slaughterhouses love it on the days when they're producing goods for the EU. The line has to be slowed down to reduce the number of errors when separating the guts, bladders and bowels from the edible meat. In American burgers you have higher incidences of 'fecal contamination." In other words, there's sh1t in the meat.

The bottom line is, if Britain leaves the EU, they'll be literally eating sh1te.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 28, 2018, 07:13:03 PM
Did any of you ever read Fast Food Nation? Some eye-opener, that. The workers in American slaughterhouses love it on the days when they're producing goods for the EU. The line has to be slowed down to reduce the number of errors when separating the guts, bladders and bowels from the edible meat. In American burgers you have higher incidences of 'fecal contamination." In other words, there's sh1t in the meat.

The bottom line is, if Britain leaves the EU, they'll be literally eating sh1te.

Aye and you wouldnt touch any of that shite Eamon right ;)

Anyway the claim is more shit than the burgers are.... They found ecoli in the meat which while it is in shit it is also in most parts of the digestive tract. The fact is its bacteria not shit so its a bit of a stretch to say it is fecal matter. And if you cook your burger the ecoli will be dead

Contamination with ecoli on beef while undesirable is somewhat understandable but how does it get on Romain lettuce?

There are alot of crazy fundamentalist in America but the hard core vegan marketing crew are right up there. I query most stuff I read or watch esp online but with that lot I am extra vigilant

heganboy

Bank of England warning of a 25% drop in Sterling and an 8% drop off in the economy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46377309
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Keyser soze

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on November 28, 2018, 07:13:03 PM

Heh? Have you ever been in an abbatoir to see how they do this? There's not much slowing down required to separate the innards from the carcass I can tell you. 

RedHand88

Quote from: heganboy on November 29, 2018, 02:01:50 AM
Bank of England warning of a 25% drop in Sterling and an 8% drop off in the economy.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-46377309

Great time now to invest in cryptocurrencies.