Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Golden Years

Quote from: GJL on October 17, 2017, 01:24:30 PM
Quote from: The Golden Years on October 17, 2017, 01:20:25 PM
On reflection the only surprise about Sundays result is how Omagh didnt win by far more?  Errigal are an average team.  They got to the final by beating three teams in the lower half of the league and struggled to beat two of them.

Would an average team not be mid-table as opposed to being clear at the top?

No, as teams put different emphasis on the league.  There is no real advantage of topping the league as to finishing 4th. IMO of watching club football this year errigal are at best 5th best team in Tyrone. Omagh, Coalisland, Trillick and Dromore all being above them. We got slated a few years back for having easy paths to the finals and the same applies to Errigal. 

tiempo

Quote from: The Trap on October 16, 2017, 06:00:51 PM
Poor final in good conditions. Omagh always looked likely winners despite errigle having goal chances. They need darragh caravan quickly as you can't rely on a Peter/Davy Harte forward line.
Omagh have the physicality for this time of the year and can give slaughneil a great game. Again though they are lacking scoring threat and this could be their downfall.

Last time Errigal won Tyrone and entered the Ulster Club Tommy Canavan was playing CHF, why is he not to the fore now?

rrhf

Quote from: Club boi on October 16, 2017, 11:20:09 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 16, 2017, 11:08:34 AM
Quote from: Under Lights on October 16, 2017, 11:05:26 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 16, 2017, 10:04:10 AM
Quote from: Wee Roddy on October 16, 2017, 10:01:11 AM
12 quid into that pish
The sooner some man changes the mindset in Tyrone football the better. Good players are becoming robots. The u21 final was twice the game

It was the lack of quality that made it so poor to watch rather than the defensive setups I thought.
A huge amount of handling errors, cheap turnovers and bad wides from both sides.

Are you saying that the two clubs that made it to the premier championship final in our county have a lack of quality?

I am saying the game had  a surprising lack of quality.
This might have been just down to an under performance from the teams on the day, nerves or whatever, but in general it was low quality stuff apart from a couple of good scores.

Kilcar won Donegal 0-7 to 0-4 and going by reports it was a dreadful game
Armagh Harps beat Maghery and again a few who watched it on Armagh TV (Fantastic Service) said it wasnt a good game either

Finals are there to be Won. Do you think Omagh care this morning it was a poor spectacle??

Omagh better team all around. Better spread of Quality ballers. Errigal depended too much on Peter Harte

So yes the Best Team in Tyrone (this year) won the Championship
Yes Omagh were the best team this year. I actually felt Errigal had more than they showed but I can't see them winning 1 in the next few years unless the draw is continually kind to them and they change their game plan.

redhandefender

Quote from: The Golden Years on October 17, 2017, 01:54:11 PM
On reflection the only surprise about Sundays result is how Omagh didnt win by far more?  Errigal are an average team.  They got to the final by beating three teams in the lower half of the league and struggled to beat two of them.

No, as teams put different emphasis on the league.  There is no real advantage of topping the league as to finishing 4th. IMO of watching club football this year errigal are at best 5th best team in Tyrone. Omagh, Coalisland, Trillick and Dromore all being above them. We got slated a few years back for having easy paths to the finals and the same applies to Errigal.

I love how you make them out as an average team because they beat teams in the lower half of the league then use a completely contradictory point saying that teams place different emphasis on the league therefore the league position is irrelevant?

Bitter I suspect. They have been one of the better teams this year without a doubt but Omagh have definitely been the best in the championship. Deserved winners why not just leave it at that

The Golden Years

Quote from: redhandefender on October 17, 2017, 04:01:43 PM
Quote from: The Golden Years on October 17, 2017, 01:54:11 PM

I love how you make them out as an average team because they beat teams in the lower half of the league then use a completely contradictory point saying that teams place different emphasis on the league therefore the league position is irrelevant?

Bitter I suspect. They have been one of the better teams this year without a doubt but Omagh have definitely been the best in the championship. Deserved winners why not just leave it at that

Bitter of what? Losing in a county final?  Certainly not.  I have been around long enough and been involved in enough success to be bitter of Errigal or any other team for that matter.  My point with regards teams putting different emphasis on league refers to the stronger teams and nothing contradictory about it. Was it the same Trillick team we seen in the league as we seen in the Championship for example?

skeog

Conan Grugan has to get a recall into the Tyrone setup surely he has been best midfielder by far IMO.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: skeog on October 17, 2017, 04:24:05 PM
Conan Grugan has to get a recall into the Tyrone setup surely he has been best midfielder by far IMO.

Conan Grugan has had a superb championship but hasn't even been playing midfield never mind being the best midfielder by far. Definitely agree he is worth a recall and it would be a shame if Mickey's stubbornness prevented it

tiempo

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on October 17, 2017, 04:30:44 PM

Conan Grugan has had a superb championship but hasn't even been playing midfield never mind being the best midfielder by far. Definitely agree he is worth a recall and it would be a shame if Mickey's stubbornness prevented it

What is this stubbornness you speak of, the men not see eye to eye last time?

rrhf

I dont think Omagh will beat Slaughtneil, but Id love to see them win Ulster.  Mightnt have that level in them.   Im saying that in the context that I have said from the start that Slaughtneill will win the all ireland club this year unless another juggernaught from Dublin hits them. 

Walter Cronc

Quote from: rrhf on October 17, 2017, 04:44:50 PM
I dont think Omagh will beat Slaughtneil, but Id love to see them win Ulster.  Mightnt have that level in them.   Im saying that in the context that I have said from the start that Slaughtneill will win the all ireland club this year unless another juggernaught from Dublin hits them. 

Agreed. IMO Ballymun are the only side that could beat them. Dr Crokes & Corofin unlikely to have the same hunger. I don't think Omagh have the athletes to match Slaughtneils running power.

Next weeks hurling final is unlikely to take too much out of them.

ose 14

slaughtneil omagh will be a kick of the ball just like last time. slaughtneil had to be pumped and primed for kilcoo last week hurling this week omagh didnt have to get out of first gear v errigal they will be fresher.. killyclogher were very poor last year against slaughtneil when faced with the maroon wall, omagh have smarter footballers playing against the defensive screen than the bluemen. omagh are physically very strong and whilst they may lack legs in the middle they have enough pace elsewhere to deal with the run they also have a stonger bench than 2014. slaughtneil will be worried.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: ose 14 on October 18, 2017, 07:14:23 AM
slaughtneil omagh will be a kick of the ball just like last time. slaughtneil had to be pumped and primed for kilcoo last week hurling this week omagh didnt have to get out of first gear v errigal they will be fresher.. killyclogher were very poor last year against slaughtneil when faced with the maroon wall, omagh have smarter footballers playing against the defensive screen than the bluemen. omagh are physically very strong and whilst they may lack legs in the middle they have enough pace elsewhere to deal with the run they also have a stonger bench than 2014. slaughtneil will be worried.

Why has Justy started the semi and final off the bench?

Is he carrying an injury?

Redhand Santa

As someone else said Grugan doesn't even play midfield for Omagh. He made one great catch on Sunday but didn't win that much other possession around the middle. From what I've seen of him in a few championship games this year he has the same issue of some of Tyrone's existing and former players. He is classy and will produce good moments in the game like the great left footed point he scored on Sunday or the catch I referred to. But he doesn't do enough in games or dominate them. That was the same problem I thought he had the last time he was involved. If he was to get another go I'd say it would be around the half forward line as opposed to midfield.

sensethetone

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on October 18, 2017, 08:08:51 AM

Why has Justy started the semi and final off the bench?

Is he carrying an injury?

Justy had some warm up on Sunday, I would have thought Slaughtneil would progressed more since playing Omagh 2014. Omagh deservedly winners in Tyrone.

Walter Cronc

When facing Slaughtneil you need forwards with serious athleticism and a workrate to track. You can be sure they will try and exploit Ronan O'Neill here, most likely through Karl McKaigue. They are very smart at working a free man from the kick out (usually Cassidy or McGrath) and thats where the overlap begins when Feeney, McKaigue x 2 and Rogers are all bombing forward.