Tyrone v Kildare 14/04/13 Croke Park

Started by omagh_gael, April 08, 2013, 11:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Will this be a repeat of last year when Kildare ambushed us in the final? Will Kildare have their u-21s available or is the final the week after?

I'm sure we'll see a much improved 1st half performance by Tyrone following the catastrophic first 35 minutes yesterday.

I think we'll see:

Morgan
McCrory (i think someone else should be here instead though)
Justy
McCarron
Joe
Gormley
Clarke
Cavanagh 1
Cavanagh 2
Mark Donnelly
Peter Harte
Penrose
McAliskey
SoN
McCurry

Dinny Breen

I think must of the 21s will be available as they were largely rested yesterday.

Would love to see this team play on Sunday.

Connolly
P Kelly
Foley
McGrillen
Cribben
Morgan O'F
Bolton
Hurley
Daryl Flynn
O'Callaghan
N Kelly
Dan Flynn
Brophy
O'Connor
Johnson

A real attacking team. I've left off Johnny Doyle as I feel he can really make an impact coming from the bench. We are nearly approaching a fully fit squad for the first time in 2 years, real selection dilemma for the management and a cases can be made for Donnellan, O'Neill, Eoin Doyle, M Conway, E O'F, F Conway, Lyons, Moolick, Dowling, Fogarty, Hyland, Lynch which probably shows that we are starting to develop strength in dept, something that has been a weakness over the last 6 years.
#newbridgeornowhere

rodney trotter

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 08, 2013, 11:29:24 AM
I think must of the 21s will be available as they were largely rested yesterday.

Connolly
P Kelly
Foley
McGrillen
Cribben
Morgan O'F
Bolton
Hurley
Daryl Flynn
O'Callaghan
N Kelly
Dan Flynn
Brophy
O'Connor
Johnson

A real attacking team. I've left off Johnny Doyle as I feel he can really make an impact coming from the bench. We are nearly approaching a fully fit squad for the first time in 2 years, real selection dilemma for the management and a cases can be made for Donnellan, O'Neill, Eoin Doyle, M Conway, E O'F, F Conway, Lyons, Moolick, Dowling, Fogarty, Hyland, Lynch which probably shows that we are starting to develop strength in dept, something that has been a weakness over the last 6 years.

Will Hurley be around for the Championship with Oxegen on? McGeeney wasn't impressed 2 years ago, he is a quality player though. Kildare have a very strong panel with the u21 players coming through

Dinny Breen

Hurley has learned his lesson, sometimes the talented ones just need that kick up the hole to drive them on.
#newbridgeornowhere

Norf Tyrone

Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Fuzzman

Not decided yet but I'd be very surprised if the Dubs aren't on second.

Man Marker

I thought Colm Cavanagh was brutal yesterday, in a position where you can get on the ball without being marked or pressurised before recieving it. What does Mickey see in him?

God14

Quote from: Man Marker on April 08, 2013, 02:14:57 PM
I thought Colm Cavanagh was brutal yesterday, in a position where you can get on the ball without being marked or pressurised before recieving it. What does Mickey see in him?

With Aidan Cassidy injured, what was his alternate option? Who is available & a better option than Colm?

Rois

Colm wouldn't have been my first pick to put off the field first - at least he showed a bit of energy and enthusiasm in the first half, which was more than many of the team! 

Donnellys Hollow

Connolly
P Kelly
Foley
McGrillen
Cribben
Morgan O'F
Bolton
Hurley
Daryl Flynn
O'Callaghan
N Kelly
Dan Flynn
Brophy
O'Connor
Johnson

Having gone up to Newry yesterday I'd be half tempted to start the whole u21 team! I certainly wouldn't leave Johnny out of the starting 15. He was the only forward to make any real impact yesterday and we lack leaders without him. Johnston was poor and Smith was only slightly better. Daryl picked up a stupid early yellow card and was walking on eggshells afterwards. He badly needs games to get back up to pace.

I know the match was meaningless for Kildare but the backs got a roasting yesterday. Foley who is usually rock solid was dragged all over the place. Centre back remains a big problem. I don't think the experiment of trying O'Neill there is going to be seen again and playing Peter Kelly so far up the field seems pointless. Cribbin impressed again but I think he might be a bit too peripheral being played as a wing back. I thought watching him for the u21s that he should be moved into a more central position where he can get on more ball and be more of an influence on the game.

1 Connolly - he has got to speed up his kickouts
2 Lyons
3 Foley
4 P Kelly
5 McGrillen
6 E Doyle
7 Bolton
8 Daryl Flynn - badly needs a run of games
9 Hurley
10 Daniel Flynn
11 Cribbin
12 Callaghan
13 Smith/Johnston/Brophy/Dowling/Fogarty - whoever is showing the best form
14 J Doyle
15 N Kelly - free role to drop deep and leave Johnny + AN Other inside

I think Brian Flanagan could well find himself straight back in the team if/when he recovers from his knee injury. We are far too porous when teams run at us.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Redhand Santa

Yesteray won't do Tyrone any harm at all going into this game. Would be great to make it through the final and possibly even getting a crack at the Dubs in Croke again. Hopefully a full high tempo 70 minutes can be produced. I'd like to see the following team:
Morgan
Gormley
Joe McMahon
McCarron (I'm starting to think a fit Carlin could be our best option here)
Clarke
Justy
McNamee
Colm
Sean
Penrose
Harte
Mattie Donnelly
McCurry
O'Neill
Mark Donnelly

There definitely is positions up for grabs in various area's of the pitch. Particularly in the full back line and either midfield or half forward line. I know some non Tyrone people won't agree but I think in the last few years Tyrone have become almost too nice. We've corner backs who won't lay a finger on their opponents. And some of the newer players don't have the same fight as the old guard.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 08, 2013, 06:07:46 PM

Connolly
P Kelly
Foley
McGrillen
Cribben
Morgan O'F
Bolton
Hurley
Daryl Flynn
O'Callaghan
N Kelly
Dan Flynn
Brophy
O'Connor
Johnson

Having gone up to Newry yesterday I'd be half tempted to start the whole u21 team! I certainly wouldn't leave Johnny out of the starting 15. He was the only forward to make any real impact yesterday and we lack leaders without him. Johnston was poor and Smith was only slightly better. Daryl picked up a stupid early yellow card and was walking on eggshells afterwards. He badly needs games to get back up to pace.

I know the match was meaningless for Kildare but the backs got a roasting yesterday. Foley who is usually rock solid was dragged all over the place. Centre back remains a big problem. I don't think the experiment of trying O'Neill there is going to be seen again and playing Peter Kelly so far up the field seems pointless. Cribbin impressed again but I think he might be a bit too peripheral being played as a wing back. I thought watching him for the u21s that he should be moved into a more central position where he can get on more ball and be more of an influence on the game.

1 Connolly - he has got to speed up his kickouts
2 Lyons
3 Foley
4 P Kelly
5 McGrillen
6 E Doyle
7 Bolton
8 Daryl Flynn - badly needs a run of games
9 Hurley
10 Daniel Flynn
11 Cribbin
12 Callaghan
13 Smith/Johnston/Brophy/Dowling/Fogarty - whoever is showing the best form
14 J Doyle
15 N Kelly - free role to drop deep and leave Johnny + AN Other inside

I think Brian Flanagan could well find himself straight back in the team if/when he recovers from his knee injury. We are far too porous when teams run at us.

At the moment we we are mixing and matching defensive systems, since the Cork game we seem to have tried something in every game and I think McGeeney, Ryan and Hendy are trying to find a new system to suit the players rather than players to suit a system. So when in the process of changing systems and the way players have been coached you will lose and suffer anomalies such as the Dublin and Tyrone hammerings. Under McGeeney in the Championship we have always been defensively sound but the Cork defeat seems to have cut deep and Einsteins 'Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results'  is something he has definitely thought about. He has already changed the coaching set-up, started the process of introducing new players so it stands to reason that systems will also change. If we leave O'Moore after conceding 2 goals or more to Offaly then I'd be worried but not till then, I do however expect to a see a tighter Kildare defence on Sunday.

Cribben needs a freer role I think, he seems to have so much time on the ball and against Laois he just seem able to see so much of what was happening in front of him. At the moment I think he's just been eased back into football, I'm sure he had plenty of demons to deal with on his return from Oz.

Anyhow O'Byrne Cup won, League semi-final and a Leinster U21, been a really good year so far and the fact their is so much positive discussion regarding team selection probably means we are in a much better place than we have been for a good few years.
#newbridgeornowhere

trileacman

Quote from: Redhand Santa on April 08, 2013, 08:14:07 PM
Yesteray won't do Tyrone any harm at all going into this game. Would be great to make it through the final and possibly even getting a crack at the Dubs in Croke again. Hopefully a full high tempo 70 minutes can be produced. I'd like to see the following team:
Morgan
Gormley
Joe McMahon
McCarron (I'm starting to think a fit Carlin could be our best option here)
Clarke
Justy
McNamee
Colm
Sean
Penrose
Harte
Mattie Donnelly
McCurry
O'Neill
Mark Donnelly

There definitely is positions up for grabs in various area's of the pitch. Particularly in the full back line and either midfield or half forward line. I know some non Tyrone people won't agree but I think in the last few years Tyrone have become almost too nice. We've corner backs who won't lay a finger on their opponents. And some of the newer players don't have the same fight as the old guard.

I'd have Mark Donnelly in the FF line, does his best work running towards the opposition 21. I'd also have Matty Donnelly back at 12. McNeice was tried in the sweeper role yesterday and it didn't work too well. Despite alot of vocal criticism I think Matty has had a good league playing in a deeper sweeper role from where he is likely to score little but he is able to link the play very well on the turnover. Most guys seem to see his name on the teamsheet at half-forward and expect him to be contributing a scoring return but I think he is being utilised in a more defensive manner and it seemed to work well in our impressive victories over Mayo, Donegal and Down.

For me McAliskey has delivered the most so far this season as the other FF, have seen little promise from Coney, McCurry or Ronan so far to suggest they deserve a shirt ahead of McAliskey. Colm was poor the last day, takes alot of criticism but he's a curates egg, much like Hughes was. He was outstanding in last year's victory over Armagh but his consistency is poor, varying wildly even during the course of a match. Potential for the sublime but every bit as equally can be a hindrance. Doesn't get the credit for his good performances but some of the heavy criticism can be, at times, warranted.

Justy was poor the last day, would easily have Clarke ahead of him, don't think he should hold onto his spot. McNamee is a real gem, very impressed by his composure. McKenna has shown well to date but was MIA the last day, hoping for a return to form from him.

Anything to be said for Pete to half-back, Joe to wing half, Clarke to FB and Sean Cav to CHF?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Redhand Santa

Would agree with what you said about Colm Cavanagh. Criticism can be over the top at times though. Wouldn't mind Sean going to centre half forward but not sure what that leaves us in midfield. Really wouldn't be convinced with Colm and Cassidy together.

Stephen O'Neill has just had his most consistent and best league campaign in years. I'm nearly afraid to say that in case I put a curse on him. Would be great if he could stay fit for the summer. An on form O'Neill makes some difference in the forward line.

Redhand Santa

In relation to Justy he really just needs game time. He hasn't played much county football in the last 2 or 3 years and a run of games now would bring him on a lot. He's got a few games now in league so again hopefully can stay fit to get a good run before the championship. Definite worth his place if fit.