Newspaper Items

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, February 26, 2015, 01:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G@@

Quote from: clonadmad on October 19, 2017, 08:51:40 PM
Cheddar being sounded out for a position on Pat Gilroys management team

Hmm, I would if I was him - just for the year though. Sound out what exactly is going on in the Dublin hurling circles and learn from it.
We should also be trying to get Dempsey up from Kilkenny. Himself and Cheddar for 2019 involved would be some backroom team.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Keyser Söze

Quote from: G@@ on November 03, 2017, 08:22:33 PM
Himself and Cheddar for 2019 involved would be some backroom team.

Some very prominent club officials couldn't wait to get rid of him, the county board didn't exactly fight to keep him and now we want him to go away, study other models of excellence and come back and implement it here.
Ignoring the fact that he already did this here 5 years ago!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

portlaoisekid

The CB should hang their heads in shame over the way Cheddar was treated at the end.

After everything he gave to the Laois set up it was  a joke  the way he was treated.

Best of luck if he gets involved with Dublin, he is better off away from this county.

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 05, 2017, 09:59:52 PM
Quote from: G@@ on November 03, 2017, 08:22:33 PM
Himself and Cheddar for 2019 involved would be some backroom team.

Some very prominent club officials couldn't wait to get rid of him, the county board didn't exactly fight to keep him and now we want him to go away, study other models of excellence and come back and implement it here.
Ignoring the fact that he already did this here 5 years ago!
Couldnt agree more. Jesus what I'd give to get Cheddar into the County Board Chairmans role, could you imagine?

South Laois man

It's a disgrace the way the county board handled the whole Cheddar situation. It's a pity common sense couldn't prevail and Cheddar was given a role within Laois hurling.

redsetanta

Maybe a board shake up will see him being asked back in in some capacity.

What is the job situation with Cheddar? Maybe he's not in a position to give all his time.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Fears that teams may play for 'desired outcome' in Super 8 and calls for a two-tier championship
http://www.the42.ie/gaa-super-8-football-3735037-Dec2017/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Mad Mentor

Interesting to see Laois in fifth place in the list. What have we done with the money?

Don Draper

Quote from: Mad Mentor on March 14, 2018, 10:11:05 AM
Interesting to see Laois in fifth place in the list. What have we done with the money?
Man United are second in the Premier League, doesn't mean they're even remotely on the same level as the team in first.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on March 14, 2018, 11:04:35 AM
Quote from: Mad Mentor on March 14, 2018, 10:11:05 AM
Man United are second in the Premier League, doesn't mean they're even remotely on the same level as the team in first.

No but it is a valid question. Hard to see value for money in Laois. We haven't been competitive in either code at any level or age group for many years.

Mad Mentor

We can't stand on both sides of the fence. We can't argue that we need more money to be successful because Dublin got more, while at the same time denying that counties that got less than us are more successful.
I'm not looking to blame anyone individually, but it would seem our county development model is not working. I have had some experience of the hurling development squads over the last five or six years and I have to say hand on heart it hasn't been great. Similarly our Setanta programme has been poor in terms of the coaching delivered. Some of our intercounty players have been involved and while I thank them for their effort, their coaching skills leave a lot to be desired. It takes years to become an effective coach and some of the greatest hurlers make the worst coaches.
Development squads can only be as good as the players coming from the clubs and as anyone involved in underage coaching will tell you, that is a very mixed bag.
Forget about the development squads, put more resources into up-skilling club coaches and you will see better county teams.

clonadmad

Quote from: Mad Mentor on March 14, 2018, 10:05:34 PM
We can't stand on both sides of the fence. We can't argue that we need more money to be successful because Dublin got more, while at the same time denying that counties that got less than us are more successful.
I'm not looking to blame anyone individually, but it would seem our county development model is not working. I have had some experience of the hurling development squads over the last five or six years and I have to say hand on heart it hasn't been great. Similarly our Setanta programme has been poor in terms of the coaching delivered. Some of our intercounty players have been involved and while I thank them for their effort, their coaching skills leave a lot to be desired. It takes years to become an effective coach and some of the greatest hurlers make the worst coaches.
Development squads can only be as good as the players coming from the clubs and as anyone involved in underage coaching will tell you, that is a very mixed bag.
Forget about the development squads, put more resources into up-skilling club coaches and you will see better county teams.

On the topic of development squads,some of the underage hurling squads aren't bothering with running trials this year.

Whoever was on last years squad will do for this year.