Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Launched today I believe.
Being played weekend 10/11 December.

Does anyone care?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

The All-Star beer-up continues. Our lads aren't good enough to make the provincial side, thankfully. And they're all injured anyways I hear.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2016, 04:35:36 PM
Launched today I believe.
Being played weekend 10/11 December.

Does anyone care?

4,000-5,000 cared a couple years back when final was in Armagh.

Playing it in December in a place nobody will go to will just be another excuse to beat it with.

rodney trotter

It was due to be played in December last year too, but the weather cancelled it. Supporters might not be keen on it but the player like it.There was a few Leitrim players on the Connacht panel when they won the Railway Cup in 2014 and were delighted with winning it.

Never a good time to play it. With the provincial club championship etc

screenexile

Rossfan

That 2014 Final Connacht won brought about 5 hundred to Tuam.
Other than a nice weekend junket for some leading players it has no further point and no public interest. :-\

rodney trotter

Not a surprise when Tuam was probably the worst location for the game.

They could have it in Carrick or Breffni.

BennyCake

Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2016, 05:40:45 PM
That 2014 Final Connacht won brought about 5 hundred to Tuam.
Other than a nice weekend junket for some leading players it has no further point and no public interest. :-\

500 people obviously thought differently.

I heard one of the Tipp footballers saying they would only get maybe 500 at NFL games. So do we throw Tipp out of the league?!

Zulu

Benny, if you enjoy it fair enough and if there are players who want to play it then go ahead but please don't put forward nonsense arguments for retaining it. National league games are hugely important games in the GAA even if some games are not particularly well attended. The inter provincial games are not important games regardless of the crowd. I don't see the point of them myself but if it was on close to me I'd probably trot on to it. But it's only a kick around and it demeans the argument for it by comparing it to senior inter county games.

BennyCake

Zulu, the arguments for scrapping are all based on the attendances. There's plenty of competitions will similar or worse crowds, so those arguments don't stand up.

Rossfan

It's only a friendly kick around, not as bad as the All Star games but isn't serious football.
But sure it does no one any harm and if the lads get a free weekend out of it.... 8)

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2016, 06:39:06 PM
It's only a friendly kick around, not as bad as the All Star games but isn't serious football.
But sure it does no one any harm and if the lads get a free weekend out of it.... 8)

Couldn't the same logic be applied to John Prenty and the rest of the Rashers Crew getting freebies to London and NY each year too?

Rossfan

Aye - but the travelling players have to take the game seriously.
However as far as I'm concerned the NY thing should be abolished or spread it around the 31 Counties.

Zulu

Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2016, 06:27:32 PM
Zulu, the arguments for scrapping are all based on the attendances. There's plenty of competitions will similar or worse crowds, so those arguments don't stand up.

I wouldn't agree with that Benny. I couldn't care less if it's played or not but I do object to lads saying this that or the other thing should be done to get it back to its glory days which is what was always the debate around here. If it's on in Parnell Park or wherever in December and they can get lads to play and a few hardy souls to go then have at it. I doubt anyone would really disagree with that, however, if you're taking about putting in money to promote it and the like that's where the argument starts and why the poor crowds are referenced.

BennyCake

Quote from: Zulu on December 01, 2016, 07:38:16 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 01, 2016, 06:27:32 PM

I wouldn't agree with that Benny. I couldn't care less if it's played or not but I do object to lads saying this that or the other thing should be done to get it back to its glory days which is what was always the debate around here. If it's on in Parnell Park or wherever in December and they can get lads to play and a few hardy souls to go then have at it. I doubt anyone would really disagree with that, however, if you're taking about putting in money to promote it and the like that's where the argument starts and why the poor crowds are referenced.

Fair enough, but little money was spend advertising it 2 or 3 years ago yet 4-5 thousands were at the final in Armagh.

Maybe instead of throwing money at it, play it in a place where the fans are most interested and will gain a much bigger crowd ie. ulster. Rather than Tuam (500) and Parnell probably the same.