Victor Chandler - A sorry excuse for a bookmakers

Started by Atticus_Finch, August 13, 2011, 03:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atticus_Finch

One of my friends got his account closed by Victor Chandler today on the basis that "his win/loss ratio was too high" over the course of the last year.

He was in profit of roughly two grand during this period of time.  Sure, that is a nice healthy sum but it is ridiculous to think that any other major bookmakers would close your account for this sum of money, let alone for this reason.

I closed my account with them out of disgust.  I'm sure they won't lose any sleep over the loss of my account but there is no way I would ever want to punt with them again.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Hardy

They'll all do that for that reason.

Long live Betfair, Betdaq, etc.

magpie seanie

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Hardy on August 13, 2011, 03:15:04 PM

Amen to that.

I've found there's only three of the traditional firms that will still lay a decent bet. They only want to lay soccer accums and lucky 15s/patents etc on the bucket and sand stuff at the likes of Lingfield and Southwell these days.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Atticus_Finch

Hardy it's hard to imagine any other bookmaker closing an account over that sum ...  hopefully someday I will be able to put that to the test  ;)

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on August 13, 2011, 03:27:30 PM
Hardy it's hard to imagine any other bookmaker closing an account over that sum ...  hopefully someday I will be able to put that to the test  ;)

Largely depends on what he was punting on and more importantly how he was punting.

Backing e/w on any horse they're top price on in a maiden or a bumper is a big no no.

Atticus_Finch

It was mainly football accums DH with the odd horse here and there.

Excuse my ignorance, I don't know that much about horses, *I know you do ... work with another poster on here called Mickey Linden, I think his fiancee is on the verge of leaving him because of his love for you !*

But are you saying that backing horses at big prices e/w in a maiden or a bumper is a no no because it'll suggest you have a bit of inside info which the bookies obviously won't like.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on August 13, 2011, 03:49:17 PM
But are you saying that backing horses at big prices e/w in a maiden or a bumper is a no no because it'll suggest you have a bit of inside info which the bookies obviously won't like.

Essentially, yes. They despise each way punters because they simply don't have as many losing bets. Far more chance of an each way punter producing a consistent long term profit in my experience.

Smokin Joe

Hardy, Betfair are in the same boat.  Their new PC charging scheme is scandalous.

vertigonights

Why dosnt he just start up a new account with a different credit card, say his brothers or girlfriends and take another 2 grand. I would see it in terms of getting one over on them and name your account ladbrokes xi

Boycey

Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 13, 2011, 06:08:33 PM

Hardy, Betfair are in the same boat.  Their new PC charging scheme is scandalous.

Unless you are lucky enough to be 1 of the Betfair 500 it'll hardly effect you?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Boycey on August 14, 2011, 07:17:21 PM

Got to be way more than 500 affected.  You could win £50k per year (which isn't huge) for 5 years and you are caught.

Making the point that Betfair don't welcome winners with open arms, despite what most think.

Boycey

Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 14, 2011, 09:20:01 PM

Got to be way more than 500 affected.  You could win £50k per year (which isn't huge) for 5 years and you are caught.

Making the point that Betfair don't welcome winners with open arms, despite what most think.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/29/betfair-premium-charge-increase

Yeah I know what you meant and I'd have plenty of gripes with Betfair but I thinks Hardys point stands certainly for the likes of small punters like me.. This betfair charge hits mainly those scraping with automated systems and colossul banks behind them.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Boycey on August 14, 2011, 09:53:39 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 14, 2011, 09:20:01 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jun/29/betfair-premium-charge-increase

Yeah I know what you meant and I'd have plenty of gripes with Betfair but I thinks Hardys point stands certainly for the likes of small punters like me.. This betfair charge hits mainly those scraping with automated systems and colossul banks behind them.

Disagree with you on the scraping with automated systems.  Yes, those people are caught, but so too are normal position taker punters.