Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on August 20, 2010, 05:12:42 PM
Quote from: LaurelEye on August 20, 2010, 01:12:54 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on August 20, 2010, 09:23:28 AM
Any news from the Four Courts?

I think the Reich developed a sense of shame after Sunday.

I hope someone took a picture.

Best of luck to the half-parish this weekend!

Cheers! We'll need all the luck we can get.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Congratulations to Slashers on a thoroughly-deserved win (2-11 to 0-8) in which we were completely taken apart in the second half.

Best of luck to Mostrim tomorrow - I expect you at least to give a better account of yourselves than we did.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

One point win for us this evening! Semi now v The Slashers! No good memories of games v Slashers going back to 1975. Good to beat Killoe! Tight finish..perhaps the full four minutes of added time at the end weren't played!

sammymaguire

Where is the best place to keep an eye on the fixtures/results from Longford club GAA?
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 28, 2010, 11:12:16 AM
Where is the best place to keep an eye on the fixtures/results from Longford club GAA?
stay well away from hoganstand anyway.
http://www.longfordgaa.ie/ is fairly on the ball with getting results up quickly i have to say.

i think the scoreline flattered us against mullinalaghta when the entire 60 minutes is taken into consideration, delighted to be back in the semi but there is a fear amongst us that repeats of '06 and '08 could be on the cards. we will be favourites against mostrim but they are a very useful team and the only thing i was surprised about with their result over killoe was not that they won but that the margin was only a point - i dont rate killoe at all and i rate mostrim very highly and definitely in the top 4 in the county.

dromard are in the final of that i have no doubt and if i can a decent handicap bet in town on that match il be throwin a few bob on it.

sammymaguire

Thanks. Got to head down and see a Ballymahon home game before the end of the season.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

The Forfeit Point

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 28, 2010, 04:03:08 PM
Thanks. Got to head down and see a Ballymahon home game before the end of the season.

the league will be over very shortly, only 4 or 5 matches left

sammymaguire

Quote from: The Forfeit Point on August 28, 2010, 04:23:55 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on August 28, 2010, 04:03:08 PM

the league will be over very shortly, only 4 or 5 matches left

I seen that on that Longford gaa so will have to get my finger out and do it soon. Where is the pitch in Ballymahon anyhow??
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Shamrock Shore

You can't miss it! On the Edgeworthstown road! Look for Derry corpses

sammymaguire

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on August 28, 2010, 11:31:02 PM
You can't miss it! On the Edgeworthstown road! Look for Derry corpses

Cheers. What's Derry corpses??
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Shamrock Shore

A reference to a famous league win there over Derry in, what, 2002 or so, for Longford to seal promotion to Div something more than where we were. Derry whinged and moaned over the facilities at the venue. Cows having a gawk over the fence. No stand on the other side. Micky Moran was in charge at the time and effed and blinded at the sun moon and stars at the end. We got a bit of craic out of Derry lads here on the board (or its precursor) at the time. Da Bishop is one lad I recall. Where did he go?

sammymaguire

Ah, I see, a memorable battle won against the invading army with bigger ammunition  ;D the spoilt lads from Derry did not know they were entering a shithole which would level things off, was that Micky Moran's master stroke??
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Billys Boots

I see the Critters won handy enough.  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

Critters seen in Lynn's recently. Sussing out the likely competition.

Slashers may find things uncomfortable this weekend.

Never been a Mostrim v Dromard final. We've lost to Cashel, Slashers and Killoe in the finals since I started remembering things (1974) - beat Ardagh (74 and 85 - after 3 epic games) and Connollys (92) for our three titles. I think we may have been in a final in 193something when my grandfather was a stalward (we were called Edgeworthstown Volunteers I think) but I'd have to consult the books.

Longfordian

one or two injury concerns coming into the game at the weekend , but everyone should make it , Slashers are rightly favourites and I would expect them to advance to the finals , however its a semi final and anything could happen ! ...so all we can do is our best and see what happens !
Its been 18 years since we've appeared in Pearse Pk in late September , (16yr long years I have played for) , so we are long overdue an appearance ! , might be a step too far for our current team at the moment