Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

North Longford

Merry Christmas and  Happy new year to all from the home of the county champions. (Don't get to say that too often!)
By the way the champions have an arduous task on St. Stephens day when they come up against the might of the  beaten finalists from 94. Should be a thriller!!!!

The Forfeit Point

God bless us and save us i saw the result of the louth match! :'( what on earth happened? couldnt make it to the game, looks like i didnt really miss out. anyone able to name the team?

mattockranger

was at the game!
first time in pearse park and was impressed!

team from the programme
1james mckenna
2brian mahon
3barry gilleran
4paddy mcdonnell
5kevin smith  'bull' as the fans were cheering was your best player!
6noel farrell
7aidan rowan

8colm flynn
9rory mcelligott
two mid fielders battled well opposite to our two in that were good in the air but not very mobile!

10declan farrell     
11 david morgan
12 willie skelly named but did not start
13 cian mimnagh played well
14 kevin mulligan
15 francis mcgee livliest forward our biggest threat throughout

padraig berry enda williams were introduced in the second half

could you give me an insight to the amount of starter you's had playing today or wat level that team is at?
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

LaurelEye

Quote from: mattockranger on January 11, 2009, 08:01:19 PM
was at the game!
first time in pearse park and was impressed!

I hope it was with the grounds.

Quoteteam from the programme
1james mckenna
2brian mahon
3barry gilleran
4paddy mcdonnell
5kevin smith  'bull' as the fans were cheering was your best player!

Smyth didn't start - the "Bull" is actually Diarmuid Masterson of Dromard.

Quote6noel farrell
7aidan rowan

8colm flynn
9rory mcelligott
two mid fielders battled well opposite to our two in that were good in the air but not very mobile!

10declan farrell     
11 david morgan
12 willie skelly named but did not start

Shane Doyle of Kenagh started instead.

Quote13 cian mimnagh played well
14 kevin mulligan

Billy will be delighted with your favourable review of all those Dromard players ;)

Quotepadraig berry enda williams were introduced in the second half

could you give me an insight to the amount of starter you's had playing today or wat level that team is at?

Masterson, the two Farrells, Mulligan and McGee - along with Berry and probably Williams - would have been expected starters last year.

Of the remainder of last year's team, the regular goalie is out for the year (I think) and his expected replacement is playing with the under-21s, Paul Barden is out injured until April, David Barden is out as well for the foreseeable future, Brian Kavanagh is concentrating on the Club Championship with Kilmacud, Liam Keenan is out long-term, Cathal Conefrey has retired, and Declan Reilly and Shane Mulligan aren't being considered for the panel at the moment. Bernard McElvaney was away in Australia for all of last year and I'm not sure if he's rejoined the panel or not.

I'd hope - I'd pray - that the team that starts the National Leagues will be stronger than we saw today. Today was at such a low level that you'd get dizzy on getting back to ground level.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

Very grim year ahead, I'd be thinking.  Are none of the Slashers world-beaters being considered, at this stage?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 12, 2009, 09:14:16 AM
Very grim year ahead, I'd be thinking.  Are none of the Slashers world-beaters being considered, at this stage?

Dermot Brady was on the bench yesterday. Mark Smith has gone to Australia for the year.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

QuoteQuote
14 kevin mulligan

Billy will be delighted with your favourable review of all those Dromard players

They scored 0-3 in total, frees included, this full-forward line; perspective is a great thing. 

Is the Cavan game first, and is it in Breffni?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 12, 2009, 12:41:17 PM
QuoteQuote
14 kevin mulligan

Billy will be delighted with your favourable review of all those Dromard players

They scored 0-3 in total, frees included, this full-forward line; perspective is a great thing. 

Is the Cavan game first, and is it in Breffni?

Yes, and No.

North Longford

Gilleran was full back.
Is Paul Kelly not involved?

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on January 12, 2009, 03:29:10 PM
Gilleran was full back.

How could I have erased that from my mind?

QuoteIs Paul Kelly not involved?

Doesn't seem to be.

Longfordian

Happy new year to one and all ....

I have heard from the cousins and our other lad on the panel ...that the trainings are like nothing they have ever done before ...unbelievable hard ....thats from the little red lad ! ... who would and can run all day and night .... have heard they were out lumberjacking around derrycassion a week or so ago .... dont know if that was a factor in such a poor performance ....

I suppose we had an experimental side and Louth (so I heard , could be wrong ) , were close enough to full strength ....

McElvaney back on home soil and has joined the panel , by all accounts ,

any update on S Mulligan and D Reilly ? .....  need them back for first round of leauge !

LaurelEye

Quote from: Longfordian on January 13, 2009, 01:38:29 PM
Happy new year to one and all ....

I have heard from the cousins and our other lad on the panel ...that the trainings are like nothing they have ever done before ...unbelievable hard ....thats from the little red lad ! ... who would and can run all day and night ....

Heard the same from the cousin (different cousin before anyone gets too confused).

Quotehave heard they were out lumberjacking around derrycassion a week or so ago .... dont know if that was a factor in such a poor performance ....

That's right - blame poor Mullinalaghta  :P

Quoteany update on S Mulligan and D Reilly ? .....  need them back for first round of leauge !

The word I heard was that they were told that the panel was closed but that they would be considered based on their performances in the (club) league. Whether this stance will be reconsidered after last Sunday remains to be seen.

North Longford

QuoteThe word I heard was that they were told that the panel was closed but that they would be considered based on their performances in the (club) league. Whether this stance will be reconsidered after last Sunday remains to be seen.

I struggle to figure that one out. I would say it is highly unlikely but they will be two of the better players in any club league game they play in.
So what they are saying is if they were willing to go back next week they wouldn't take them until mid March so they can prove they are still as good as they were when they were asked in in the first place!!!

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on January 13, 2009, 03:42:18 PM
QuoteThe word I heard was that they were told that the panel was closed but that they would be considered based on their performances in the (club) league. Whether this stance will be reconsidered after last Sunday remains to be seen.

I struggle to figure that one out. I would say it is highly unlikely but they will be two of the better players in any club league game they play in.
So what they are saying is if they were willing to go back next week they wouldn't take them until mid March so they can prove they are still as good as they were when they were asked in in the first place!!!

Your problem is that you're looking at this logically... you should know by now not to expect logic to be applied where Longford GAA is concerned.