Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billys Boots

You were lucky to get that map before it was coloured in.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 24, 2008, 12:30:03 PM
You were lucky to get that map before it was coloured in.

;D

I see Colmcille's trainer has been banned from the sideline for Sunday.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

What did he do?  Throw a slap at Dowler in the semi?

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 25, 2008, 09:01:09 AM
What did he do?  Throw a slap at Dowler in the semi?

Went onto the pitch too often in the semi...
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

I can tell you the full story, sometime, about the booking of the Colmcille goalie against Killoe too - it's a bit too surreal even for this thread.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 25, 2008, 01:42:10 PM
I can tell you the full story, sometime, about the booking of the Colmcille goalie against Killoe too - it's a bit too surreal even for this thread.

Surreal even by Longford GAA standards?

Puckoon

Shamrock Shore

I believe it was over the non speedy removal of yon yoke that you put the ball on at the kickout. The umpire asked him to take it off the pitch. The Goalie ignored the request until after a break in play. The next time the ball came up and wide the umpire called the ref over, said the Goalie had given him verbals, and Goalie gets booked. He never said boo to the umpire at all.

Gobshite of an umpire.

Billys Boots

QuoteThe umpire asked him to take it off the pitch.

The keeper took a short kick-out, the Colmcille defender dropped the ball, and the keeper headed back to cover the goal - the umpire instructed him to go back out and retrieve the tee.  He ignored him and followed the play until the ball went out of play, at which point he retrieved the tee.  As SS says, the umpire called Dowler over and told him that the keeper had 'dissented' him.  Dowler didn't ask for details, but produced the yellow.

Bizarre, even by Longford standards.

Shamrock Shore

Congrats to Billy Boots and North Longford's beloved club Colmcille who won the senior championship for the first time in 50 years.

Great achievement lads.

Final Score:

Colmcille 0-13
Slashers 0-07

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 28, 2008, 08:02:11 PM
Congrats to Billy Boots and North Longford's beloved club Colmcille who won the senior championship for the first time in 50 years.

Great achievement lads.

Final Score:

Colmcille 0-13
Slashers 0-07

Seconded. Not a great game but a fantastic aftermath.

Time for Mullinalaghta and Mostrim to step up to the mark for next year :)

Owenmoresider

Congrats to the Boots clan, NL and all involved, always good to see different teams (and clubs in the best sense) making the breakthrough.

Billys Boots

Still feeling a bit light-headed this morning - and no drink (well not much) last night.  Left the celebrations at the cross before midnight, and they looked like they were only getting moving.  More a feeling of relief than jubilation in the parish, though that may change as the week progresses.

Am particularly happy for my brother - his 11th final in a Colmcille jersey, having played for the club since 1980, and his first medal. 

Fair play to North Longford - he looked a dazed man at the presentation, I hope he's enjoying it now.

As Eugene McGee said yesterday, perhaps in reference to our beloved neighbours - we won it playing football.

North Longford

Many thanks for all the good wishes. It was a great day and night altho like yourself Billy, relief was and probably still is the biggest emotion. it's been a ferocious couple of years and I can't even consider what a defeat again might have done.
Twas a late finish alright last night with the gardai emptying the pubs sometime after 4. Was funny....we had wee Dec home with us and we got to his house there wasn't a sinner there. The wife says to him its a terror the man of the match is home before his father and mother and granny....yeah says he and they don't even drink.!
Delighted for Gavin and Ollie and Gary and Francie Mulligan who has been a great influence over the past couple of months. It will probably really sink in over the next couple of days and hopefully I'll get my voice back soon...that bainisteoir job is hard on the throat!
Anyway have to go and get more painkillers and then line my stomach for the rest of the week!

AZOffaly

Well done lads. Remember the Leinster club is up next though!!. Fair play to finally getting there again after a good few years of heartache. If ye had a good goalie, ye'd have won more I'd say ;)