Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 12, 2008, 09:14:24 AM
Does this mean we'll see you in the Maroon and White Laureleye, or will you be keeping the head down?

They're paying me to stay out of the way until after the throw-in... :P

(I'll be in consultations with the GPA as to the appropriate level of "expenses" required.)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

Seemingly Mostrim have never bayten Clonguish in the Championship since records started being kept by Tommy O'Brien (RIP) in 1876.

Will that change on Sunday? As I am so long away from the local scene I can't give an assessment of our chances.

Do we have someone to get a rise out of David Barden?

Longfordian

auld Shore has been keeping careful eye on our preparations for the last couple of weeks ..... cycles in every evening we're out ! ....

final preparations tonight ...... to be honest Shamrock ...we'd want to be at our very best Sunday ..... have the forwards to hurt them ...its how much we can restrict theirs .......

Shamrock ....have you any info on the potential team line up for the game after ours ..... as info has been at a premium from North and Laurel

LaurelEye

Quote from: Longfordian on June 13, 2008, 01:30:39 PM
auld Shore has been keeping careful eye on our preparations for the last couple of weeks ..... cycles in every evening we're out ! ....

final preparations tonight ...... to be honest Shamrock ...we'd want to be at our very best Sunday ..... have the forwards to hurt them ...its how much we can restrict theirs .......

Shamrock ....have you any info on the potential team line up for the game after ours ..... as info has been at a premium from North and Laurel

If we knew, we'd tell you...
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

Mostrim being mauled by Clonguish

2-07 to 0-02 at half time.

It ended

Clonguish 3-13
Mostrim 2-05

Ouch  :o

Shamrock Shore

Another Ouch

Colmcille 2-10
St. Columbas 0-05

:-[

LaurelEye

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on June 15, 2008, 08:58:19 PM
Another Ouch

Colmcille 2-10
St. Columbas 0-05

:-[

Disappointing for us in that a penalty and an "own point" went in in the last two minutes of stoppage time to put an unrespectable look on it. Having said that, we only managed one point in the entire second half and there were a lot of wayward passes coming out of defence. When we were only 1-5 to 0-4 down at half time, I was allowing myself the occasional moment of stunned semi-optimism (not enough to start thinking about a first Senior Championship win since 1952, but nevertheless there was the flicker of hope for a shock result). In comparison with what I was expecting before the throw-in, 11 points is at the better end of the range.

Congratulations and best of luck to Colmcille. The qualifier draw next weekend awaits us.

North Longford

Quoteflicker of hope
There was more than a flicker where I was standing. Final score is a big injustice to Mullinalaghta. Colmcille were very poor, the only thing that saved us was that our backs were decent and so was Enda Farell but from there to 15 you'd imagine we'd just been introduced to each other. Only thing is 3 of the forwards have missed a good bit of training recently with injury (hence my " could be better" comment last week) but it still doesn't excuse the inabilty to do anything remotely resembling combined play. If Mullinaghta could get Kevin Mulligan back they could still cause an upset along the line, just might struggle to get the scores but there are certainly worse teams in the senior championship and I hope yee at least get the win to keep yee in it next year and yee can build with some of the good young players.

Billys Boots

QuoteFinal score is a big injustice to Mullinalaghta.

I believe Mullinalaghta were without a lot of key players too.  Well, at least the wagon keeps rolling on, for the moment.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

North Longford

QuoteI believe Mullinalaghta were without a lot of key players too.  Well, at least the wagon keeps rolling on, for the moment.

I believe quite a few of them came on....some very early but Laurel could confirm this. It certainly didn't help their cause starting without them.

Billys Boots

QuoteIt certainly didn't help their cause starting without them.

What was that all about?  Saving them for more important games???

North Longford

Again I can't answer for them but I know the county minor thing is a little issue at the moment. Something along the lines of they're not supposed to play but they haven't been told not to play but they shouldn't play but they can play if they want to sort of thing!! Shane Mulligan starting to warm up after about 5 minutes I can't answer. He didn't seem particularly worse for wear when he came on but I'm sure he would have started if demed fit enough.

Billys Boots

Is Kevin Mulligan still injured since the Westmeath game?

LaurelEye

The county minors had been told not to play (or it had been implied to them that they had a choice between playing with their clubs and playing with the county) but then on Friday night the county management relented and said that they could play as long as they didn't play the full match. JJ Matthews would not be 100% and I see that the pondlife at Hoganstand are taking a pop at us for him playing.

Shane Mulligan had had an eye operation the week before last and was not supposed to play for three weeks after it. He togged out and came on - at his own insistence - but wouldn't have been at full form - he got a knock from a collision with another Mullinalaghta player during the match so we were worried about keeping him on.

Our regular goalkeeper tore a thigh muscle during a league match against Ballymore, and wasn't able to play or tog out. Kevin Mulligan's ankle (the "other" ankle) still isn't sorted.

We also had injury worries about a couple of the players who started, so expectations among the support would have been very low beforehand, not that I was going to announce that in public. It was less a "game face" than a brave one.

Billys Boots

When are the 'backdoor' games scheduled Laureleye, are ye likely to have a good pop at it this year, or will ye be able to keep a full panel, with the draws of the cheap dollar?