Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on June 02, 2008, 09:44:21 PM
Quotebelieve one Longford Slasher member of the county panel has headed stateside. Tournament match in the Heart of Darkness this afternoon - most entertaining aspect was probably the many and various ways in which Cavan fail

I assume thats Paul Kelly who wasn't there today.

That would be correct. I was informed of a rumour later on last night that there might be another departure westwards in another few weeks before the qualifiers, but it wouldn't affect the club scene and it's only a rumour in any case.

QuoteThought the Mullinalaghta contingent may have been gone also as they didn't appear today either!!!

Ah, the dirty rub....

Well now, you weren't observing as closely as you might have been or you'd have seen one of them in the dugout. Not togged out, but there anyway. Maybe you didn't recognise him without the smig.

The other fella was spotted moving cattle later in the evening but I don't believe he was in Legga.

QuoteA few other noticeable things about today. Longford in the space of a 15 minute half time break changed there whole approach which they have been using for the last 3 years. Were they copying Cavan.......it actually worked to a certain degree.
Also is it possible that McGee could have a bigger chip on his shoulder than young Barden. I'm not actually sure why he togged out today because he certainly had no interest in being there.
Was chating to Deco before the game and he reckoned we had only 18 togged!!

We had no-one to do a kick-around at half-time anyway. I think there might have been a number of soreish heads, but that would only have been an impression that I might have gotten from a casual remark from someone who wasn't togged out if you understand what I mean.

QuoteSombody must have given out to him at half time he certainly upped his performance in the second half. Would also say I was impressed with Waters in the goals. All in all 1-19 was a good score considering these boys haven't seen each other since the Westmeath game......of course 1-16 was a lot to concede!!

I'm sure they've seen each other on the field - just not on the same side. Off the field I couldn't possibly comment.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 02, 2008, 08:12:53 PM
I never knew Legga was called Párc na nGael before - it makes sense, in the context of the sort of fellahs me oul lad used to call 'fíor gaels'.

An amusing Bank Holiday so, Laureleye?

Sort of.

Got drenched on Saturday evening in the Laurels. The rain was so heavy even the midges had to get out their umbrellas. I have a nice cough as a souvenir.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

QuoteGot drenched on Saturday evening in the Laurels.

Sun was splitting the stones all day in Boots-land: 24C all day, though I was told it spilled rain on the other side of the lake on Saturday too.  For punishment, I worked all day yesterday.  Not as bad a punishment as traipsing down to Legga though.   :)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Billys Boots

Well men, what are the predictions for next weekend, and the start of the feast of football?

(i) Rathcline -v- Dromard  Pearse Park 14/06/2008 18:00 Aidan Dowler   
(ii) Longford Slashers -v- Abbeylara  Pearse Park 14/06/2008 19:30 Derek Fahy   
(iii) Mostrim -v- Clonguish  Pearse Park 15/06/2008 18:00 Michael O Brien   
(iv) St Columbas -v- Colmcille  Pearse Park 15/06/2008 19:30 John Bannon

(i) Swamp Critters look too strong here, sadly.
(ii) Townies could be pushing all the way this year, and should have too much for Abbey.
(iii) The Reich are not going very well, could be a surprise here.
(iv) Not going here, hopefully we can trigger a mass exodus stateside from the other side of the lake.  :P

North Longford

Quote(i) Swamp Critters look too strong here, sadly.       ..................agreed, far too strong
(ii) Townies could be pushing all the way this year, and should have too much for Abbey..........I'd agree but with Paul kelly and Stephen Philips both supposed to be out I'd say it will be very tight...
(iii) The Reich are not going very well, could be a surprise here..............Still think Clonguish will win with a few to spare
(iv) Not going here, hopefully we can trigger a mass exodus stateside from the other side of the lake.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on June 09, 2008, 04:25:04 PM
(iv) Not going here, hopefully we can trigger a mass exodus stateside from the other side of the lake.  :P

Agree completely, hopefully we can trigger a mass exodus stateside from the other side of the lake. :P

Longfordian

clean bill of health to report from on our end ..... our centre back will be flying in from Germany ...where he's on work placement and our centre half forward is making the long trek from Liverpool ...where hes also on work placement .....

we'll want to be at our best to beat the Reich ! ....

North Longford

Longfordian, I think they are beatable but I still believe they are capable of winning the championship as well. They are not as bad as the score against us would make them appear. Brendan Burke and Enda Williams were missing and they are the mainstay of their defence. Without them their backs are weak but adding 2 good players will strengthen that a good bit although I don't think Burke has played much football this year so I'm not even sure if he will be playing at the weekend. Added to that in Declan Reilly we have one of the few backs inthe county capable of getting the better of Paul Barden which puts a huge whole in their attack. The league game with us was strange in that it was a lovely sunny day with an 80 mile an hour wind blowing straight down the field. Thye played with it in`the first half and we dominated midfield so they were only 04 to 01 ahead. (On a calm day we would have been 5 or 6 points up). We had levelled about 6 or 7 minutes into the second half and about 10 minutes later they gave up completely and it was nothig more than shooting practice. All they got in the second half was a goal with about 5 minutes to go. I saw Jack Lynn there and its probably the worst game he could have watched. I put much more into the fact that they are the only team to beat the Conollys and Ballymahon.

Longfordian

North Longford .....
Yes I agree with you , if you dominate at midfield against them ... you will more than likely get the upper hand against them . I dont too many read this , so dont think I'll be giving away tactics !! ....but the elder Dowd wouldnt be the most mobile in the world .... so we will be looking to exploit this on kickouts and general play at midfield ....

I also agree with you that it was the worst possible game for him to watch ....and they will be a far different team on Sunday .... but we have are playing reasonably well ( albeit guaging that from playing Div 2) ...we have a reasonably young and quick team (obviously that doesnt include yours truely !!) . Like I said , we have the potential to beat them , Sunday will tell !!

How are ye fixed for Sunday North ..... ? ....and Laurel has the injury to the eldest Mulligan cleared up ?

North Longford

QuoteHow are ye fixed for Sunday North ..... ?
...don't think I'll  be answering that  :-X.......but it could be a little better

Quoteand Laurel has the injury to the eldest Mulligan cleared up ?
...and I'm certian he won't answer that ...unless he is going to lie  ;D

Quotethe elder Dowd wouldnt be the most mobile in the world

totally agree, terrible against us and taken off in the middle of the second half and we didn't have the most mobile guy in the world on him. They ended up going with P Barden to midfield which is a completely different proposition  but it robs their forwards a bit.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Longfordian on June 10, 2008, 04:10:43 PM
How are ye fixed for Sunday North ..... ? ....and Laurel has the injury to the eldest Mulligan cleared up ?

You'll find that out on Sunday at 7.30. No spoilers.

North Longford

QuoteYou'll find that out on Sunday at 7.30. No spoilers.

Its ok Laurel, the word has filtered across the lake that every county player from the age of 18 to 48 in Mullinalaghta is either injured or unavailable next Sunday. We're getting bombarded with this useful information from all angles.

Longfordian

havent we our game faces on very early in the week  :D.....

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on June 11, 2008, 08:45:45 AM
QuoteYou'll find that out on Sunday at 7.30. No spoilers.

Its ok Laurel, the word has filtered across the lake that every county player from the age of 18 to 48 in Mullinalaghta is either injured or unavailable next Sunday. We're getting bombarded with this useful information from all angles.

I won't swear to the 48-year-olds....

...all I'll say is that if you're male, able to stand up, and out in the open anywhere between Mullinroe Cross and the Scrabby Bridge on Sunday you're likely to be handed a pair of boots.

Billys Boots

Does this mean we'll see you in the Maroon and White Laureleye, or will you be keeping the head down?