Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Quote from: mattockranger on May 12, 2008, 11:27:02 AM
minors were average think meath will have two much power

the goal was the defining moment in the game
Gill and Quinn
stars for the future especially quinn if he stay away from ground ball
fair play to ya's hope yous go all the way to leinster

seperate question?}do ya's put alot into underage work down there? good pedigree there and steady supply of players over the years

Reasonable emphasis. Development squads from under-14 up, etc.

QuoteBest for Longford on the day were probably Michael Quinn from Killoe at full-forward and Leon Doherty from Slashers in the half-forward line.
leon doherty was centre back??

My mistake.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

QuoteReasonable emphasis. Development squads from under-14 up, etc.

I suppose the fact that both Moyne and Mels exist too means that most minors will probably get good quality colleges football during the winter too.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 12, 2008, 03:31:18 PM
QuoteReasonable emphasis. Development squads from under-14 up, etc.

I suppose the fact that both Moyne and Mels exist too means that most minors will probably get good quality colleges football during the winter too.

*cough*

There's also the County Vocational Schools' team, which has produced more county players over the last couple of years than Mel's has... :P
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

AZOffaly

Are Mels and Moyne boarding schools? Back in the day when we played them, Moyne seemed to have a pile of Cavan and Monaghan lads, and Mels had lads from everywhere?

LaurelEye

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 13, 2008, 09:43:39 AM
Are Mels and Moyne boarding schools? Back in the day when we played them, Moyne seemed to have a pile of Cavan and Monaghan lads, and Mels had lads from everywhere?

Mel's had a boarding section until about 8(?) years ago - certainly in Billy and Shamrock's time - but would still take in players from neighbouring parishes in Leitrim and Roscommon. Dessie Dolan and Martin Flanagan are ex-students.

Moyne always has been a community school but it's located up at the tip of north Longford and has a lot of territory in Cavan and Leitrim in its catchment area (Arva, Killeshandra, Gowna, Cornafean, Carrigallen, Aghavas, Cloone, Gortletteragh) as well as Dromard, Drumlish and Colmcille. No Monaghans though.

All the schools in Longford are located close to the county borders so pull in people from outside. Granard was about 30% Cavan and 15% Westmeath in my time.

Billys Boots

QuoteThere's also the County Vocational Schools' team, which has produced more county players over the last couple of years than Mel's has.

Apologies Laureleye, you're probably right on that one.

LaurelEye

Big win over The Reich this weekend, I see.

Billys Boots

Not before time - what was the score?

North Longford

Twas 0-16 to 1-04 Billy and if I told you we were 0-04 to 0-01 down at half time you might be a little surprised but there was a wind that wound nearly blow you out of your standing!! We managed to kick 12 wides as well so possession wise it was a good day but they were very poor. Even with the gale we should have been ahead at half time, missed an open goal and a 21 yard free. Best performance of the year so far but we're still not getting anywhere near the level of some of last years championship matches.
And as performances go, I wandered up to Ballybrien on a glorious Saturday evening to watch a couple of our neighbours play out a local derby. Must say it was also a very one sided affair!!

Billys Boots

Quotethere was a wind that wound nearly blow you out of your standing!

It wouldn't have helped the master-race that it was on the top of a big f*cking hill either.  ;)

Crayonman has a win for Clonguish on Crayonsite - he must have gone home at half-time.  Any other scores from the weekend - I should know better than to rely on that clown.  He's probably busy setting up a Longford-style celebrity magazine, in the format of 'Hello' - he'll probably call it 'Well?'

AZOffaly

Jaysus lads, ye have some amount of nicknames for clubs up there. I haven't a clue who you are talking about half the time. The half parish, the swamp critters, the Reich. The GAA will want to start printing these in programmes so we can keep up :D

North Longford

Billy.....you should know better. You have a dig a little. Whats running across the home page is results from a week ago. In the results section you can find this weeks scores. Its obvious really!

LaurelEye

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 27, 2008, 09:18:59 AM
Jaysus lads, ye have some amount of nicknames for clubs up there. I haven't a clue who you are talking about half the time. The half parish, the swamp critters, the Reich. The GAA will want to start printing these in programmes so we can keep up :D

Swamp Critters = Dromard.
Half-parish = Mullinalaghta (other half is in Cavan - Gowna).
The Reich = Clonguish - so named after they announced after their second successive senior title in 2004 that they were going for five-in-a-row. They haven't been near a final since.

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on May 27, 2008, 09:00:24 AM
Twas 0-16 to 1-04 Billy and if I told you we were 0-04 to 0-01 down at half time you might be a little surprised but there was a wind that wound nearly blow you out of your standing!! We managed to kick 12 wides as well so possession wise it was a good day but they were very poor. Even with the gale we should have been ahead at half time, missed an open goal and a 21 yard free. Best performance of the year so far but we're still not getting anywhere near the level of some of last years championship matches.
And as performances go, I wandered up to Ballybrien on a glorious Saturday evening to watch a couple of our neighbours play out a local derby. Must say it was also a very one sided affair!!

Good to see you're keeping a tight eye on us :) Not exactly sure why....

Billys Boots

The navigation on that mess is awful - if you look in the obvious places you haven't a hope, and I haven't the 'understanding' to find the places where I might find results.   ::)

Nice day in Bunlahy on Saturday - two weeks to the showdown with the half-parish?