Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 07, 2008, 12:31:41 PM
Is that all we get?  :P

Patience... Only another three months or so to go before the first round of the championship :P
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

Right so.  NL you better pay a trip to the Laurels for a gander at the new prodigy.  ;)

North Longford

Ah we're alright Billy, we have insiders planted already!

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on April 07, 2008, 02:19:22 PM
Ah we're alright Billy, we have insiders planted already!

Or alternatively, yis haven't, but yis are just going to make us think yis have...

Billys Boots

Ah shure there are several half-parishers who want to rejoin the mainland.  ;)

North Longford

Laurel I'm sure there is a double bluff in there somewhere but I can't work it out!
We'll go over it in training tomorrow

Owenmoresider

How are yis fixed for Sunday lads? Go easy on us now please, you wouldn't want to put provincial champions into the wasteland of D4*?

* Assuming we don't both end up going there anyway!

North Longford

Anyone at the game yesterday. See lots on the Sligo team but wondering how the locals played or are we getting anywhere. Couldn't make it meself as our county board fixed a Bertie Allen game with Killoe for half 12 which didn't start till quarter to 1 and with Hughie in charge it was farily free flowing in all respects meaning it was 20 past 2 before we got showered and togged in. Would have been near half time before I would have gotten in so decided against.
A few regulars not playing, Dermot Brady, Noel Farrell, Kevin Mulligan etc and a few new lads in...how do we think the championship team is panning out?

Billys Boots

I don't think any of the regulars, for one reason or another, were at the game.

Did ye bate Killoe?

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on April 21, 2008, 02:30:59 PM
Anyone at the game yesterday. See lots on the Sligo team but wondering how the locals played or are we getting anywhere. Couldn't make it meself as our county board fixed a Bertie Allen game with Killoe for half 12 which didn't start till quarter to 1 and with Hughie in charge it was farily free flowing in all respects meaning it was 20 past 2 before we got showered and togged in. Would have been near half time before I would have gotten in so decided against.
A few regulars not playing, Dermot Brady, Noel Farrell, Kevin Mulligan etc and a few new lads in...how do we think the championship team is panning out?

A bit puzzled by the match times myself. Our match started at 12.45 and was similarly, eh, free-flowing, although we were helped by the fact that the opposition only had 14 on the pitch in the first half. (They did manage a fifteenth man for the second half - although they failed to score for the thirty minutes.)

Brady and the older Mulligan came on in the second half and the younger Mulligan is back from his travels and was on the bench.

Guess as to the Championship team:

Sheridan; Brady, Masterson, N Farrell; S Mulligan, O'Connor, DC Reilly; Keenan, K Mulligan; Martin, P Barden, Berry; McGee, D Farrell, Kavanagh (though Dowd might start at midfield with the older Mulligan replacing Martin on the wing).

No word as to whether Kofi Annan has been dispatched to the Killashee end of Clonguish yet?

North Longford

Billy we did indeed which was good enough as we were not exactly at full strength. Came from 6 down at half time to win by one but there was a strong breeze. Hughie lets a level of agression go that most other refs don't. And I'm glad to say both teams got into the spirit of it!!!

Laurel would Dowd not make the 15 and is there any particual reason that so many regulars are not playing so close to the championship?

On Kofi's predicamant I would doubt if he is actually up to the job!

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on April 21, 2008, 03:40:05 PMLaurel would Dowd not make the 15 and is there any particual reason that so many regulars are not playing so close to the championship?

On further reflection, I'd expect Dowd to start at midfield and Kevin Mulligan on the wing. But Dowd had a number of poor performances during the league according to reports, which is what lead me to the idea that Mulligan might be played at midfield. At 6'0" he is one of the taller players on the team.

Kevin Mulligan's hamstring played up during the warm-up for the Limerick match and I suppose it would have been difficult to justify dropping Foy after the goal. Not sure what the problem was with Brady or Noel Farrell, but I suppose Masterson's medical situation might have explained why he didn't start.

QuoteOn Kofi's predicamant I would doubt if he is actually up to the job!

Ow...

Billys Boots

QuoteOn Kofi's predicamant I would doubt if he is actually up to the job!

Did ye hear that Bertie is going to work for Kofi, starting shortly - a trip to Clonguish might be his first (and last) task.  :P