Longford Football (& Hurling) Thread

Started by North Longford, November 17, 2006, 09:47:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Connolly's 1-2 Dromard 0-2, early in second half.

Owenmoresider

Connolly's 1-4 Dromard 0-5. Still plenty of time left.

Owenmoresider

Colmcille v Dromard final it is. Dromard won 0-9 to 1-5, late free missed by Connolly's.

The Forfeit Point

i dont think i ever saw a worse first half performance by two teams in my entire life!
i thought dromard were much better than that, colmcille have to be licking their lips at the prospect of playing that outfit

LaurelEye

If Connollys had been able to take a few of the chances they had in the first half, they'd have been home and dry.

The first half was generally so bad as to be funny. The second half wasn't a great deal better.

From Hoganstand today:

QuoteMcGeeney involved with Dromard in Longford
06 September 2007

Former All-Star and current Armagh senior player Kieran McGeeney who was with Mullahoran GFC last year in an advisory capacity when they won the Cavan SFC title, is performing a similar role with Longford side, Dromard – a club which lies close to the Cavan/Longford border.

Dromard are through to the Longford senior championship semi-final where they play Sean Connolly's in Pearse Park, Longford on Sunday evening next at 6 p.m. – with the winners playing Colmcille in the county final. McGeeney.

Since McGeeney became involved with the Dromard club mid-season their fortunes have improved dramatically after they lost heavily to near-neighbours and keen rivals, Colmcille in the opening round of the current SFC. Since then they have turned their season around dramatically, and now they are in contention for a final place and another meeting with Colmcille, this time for the county title.

You could say McGeeney's influence has been beneficial to the Dromard side as they have kick-started their season in fine style in recent weeks!

I believe Jack O'Connor has been up as well.

Judging by this evening's performance, Dromard are getting poor value for it.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

Owenmoresider

What class of a masochist are u?

Brutal stuff I believe and I wish Colmcille all the best in the final.

WTF is Jack O'Connor doing around Pearse Park? Perhaps eyeing Luke's job. After all - it's a step above the Kerry one  ::)

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 09, 2007, 09:42:56 PM
Owenmoresider

What class of a masochist are u?
Was listening intermittently to Shannonside on the web, which possibly is a greater punishment than being at the game in many ways. :P Bad and all as it sounded, I'd say I've played in/been at worse, and that's just last weekend!

Shamrock Shore

Fair play OMS. I missed the opportunity to tune in cos I was off ceili-ing, as we used to say in Longford (i.e. out visiting)

Dromard have some heavy guns in this year on the training side but I fancy Colmcille to win the Connolly Cup for the first time since the 50s and I know that the one team they'd want to beat in the final is Dromard. Iran and Iraq, North and South Korea, Falls and Shankill are minor compared to Dromard and Colmcille.

Good luck to Mullinyarta in the Intermediate final agin Kayna who beat Carrickedmond this weekend.

Billys Boots

QuoteI fancy Colmcille to win the Connolly Cup for the first time since the 50s

Many, many thanks for the kiss of death SS, could you not do the daycent thing and tip the Swamp Critters.  The only thing worse would be Liam Hayes tipping Colmcille.  Cue three weeks of unbearable tension.

Owenmoresider, you are some man to be sure - keep taking the tablets.

QuoteGood luck to Mullinyarta in the Intermediate final

Ditto, come on the half-parish.  ;)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 10, 2007, 10:37:47 AM
QuoteI fancy Colmcille to win the Connolly Cup for the first time since the 50s

Many, many thanks for the kiss of death SS, could you not do the daycent thing and tip the Swamp Critters.  The only thing worse would be Liam Hayes tipping Colmcille.  Cue three weeks of unbearable tension.

Owenmoresider, you are some man to be sure - keep taking the tablets.

QuoteGood luck to Mullinyarta in the Intermediate final

Ditto, come on the half-parish.  ;)

Come on the men in maroon and white.... oh sorry, that's both teams...

I am hoping that the performance against Killashee will not be repeated. Kenagh are a good bit sharper up front than Killashee were. Hopefully we will not be favourites for this one, but thanks for the good wishes anyway and we will be reciprocating :)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Shamrock Shore

Billy

A vote of confidence from me is hardly a kiss of death. I am sure the Colmcilles and the Swampies are a-quiver as to who Shamrock Shore is fancying.

Pass on best wishes to Billys Slippers who lines out for the Aughnacliffe men.

Auld Shore is in your corner as well - I know that may sting but he told me the 'Richie Culhane' story and I'll relate it, off-line, at some stage.

Billys Boots

QuoteAuld Shore is in your corner as well

Jeez, what a compliment, he prefers us to the Swampies.  :P

Young Master Culhane was sitting in front of me at the Slashers match - hadn't seen him in years.

I see North Longford is keeping the head down now, the tension is surely building fast.

gortnaleck

I was in Gowna on Thursday night watching Tony Scullion showing the Colmcille boys what was needed to win the County Final.He is helping Ciaran get them ready and I think they looked good and I'm taking them to win.Of course Mullinalaghta will win the Intermediate and Northern Gaels the Minor

Billys Boots

QuoteTony Scullion showing the Colmcille boys what was needed

I believe this includes getting rid of flags, hats and headbands.