Mice

Started by Mickey Linden, March 05, 2013, 09:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Apologies, if there is a thread on this already. i couldnt find it.

Anyhow, I have seen a couple of mice in the house this past few weeks and was wondering what is the best way to get rid of them? I caught one last Friday but the wife seen another one last night.

We have set traps around the house and have bought one of those plugs that send out a signal, though Im not too sure how effective this actually is.

Any other ideas?

brokencrossbar1

A sheet of word or strong cardboard with bait, poisin and DAC on it.  If they get stuck in the Dac you can watch the wee buggers chewing through their own legs if you so wish :D

johnneycool

Quote from: Mickey Linden on March 05, 2013, 09:06:06 AM

Anyhow, I have seen a couple of mice in the house this past few weeks and was wondering what is the best way to get rid of them? I caught one last Friday but the wife seen another one last night.

We have set traps around the house and have bought one of those plugs that send out a signal, though Im not too sure how effective this actually is.

Any other ideas?

Put the tiniest bit of the caramel bit of a mars bar or snickers on the end of a trap and they'll go for that rather than cheese. Bacon rind is also good but hard to get to stick onto the end of a trap.

Bingo

Get a cat.

Has been a couple of cracking threads on this before if someone can find (not me by the way, I'm far too unhelpful for that  ;) )

Olly

My uncle used to befriend them. After a while he had about 20-30 running around the house wily-nily in broad daylight. Then one day he went on a mad rampage and killed every one of them. His wife said it was like a scene out of Platoon. He says it was his plan all along but we weren't sure and got him committed in case it happened to us.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

No Soloing

Any other ideas?

We had a problem with mice a couple of years ago. I think they came in from the walls through the fireplace. One would be sitting on the dining room floor when we came down in the morning. I cleared as much furniture as possible out of the room so they had nowhere to hide and caught them using a bucket. Drowned the first. Wife though that was cruel so I left the next one outside to set it free, but it froze to death before I had the chance. Next mouse was chased but never caught. I thought it had escaped but found it dead under the washing machine a while later. Used traps but never caught one.

Fill any holes or gaps round pipes etc with wire wool. We got the ultrasound plug ins - one for each room - plus an electromagnetic plug in. It is supposed to send a signal or whatever through the electrical wiring which they dont like so the mice dont like living in your walls. You need one for each storey in your house. We havent had any problem since. 

haveaharp

peanut butter in the trap, you will have one within a few mins.

theskull1

Quote from: Bingo on March 05, 2013, 09:42:01 AM
Get a cat.

Has been a couple of cracking threads on this before if someone can find (not me by the way, I'm far too unhelpful for that  ;) )

Just make sure you don't live next door to Iceman before you get that cat. He's as deranged as Olly uncle when it comes to animals he doesn't like.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

nrico2006

I got an ultrasonic plug in as had bother with rats.  Fingers crossed as have had no problems since.  Apparently these devices will only keep mice/rats away, not much use in dealing with ones already in your house.  If you spot a mouse and shout as loud as you can at the wee critter, they are meant to drop dead. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Aristo 60

Was chattin on the phone to my 80 year old uncle the other night who is having trouble with vermin in the house. Apparently the neighbours walked over to see if he was alright as he hadn't answered the phone for two days or so.

Turns out the blighters had gnawed through the phone wire under the floor boards.

Did you get it fixed says I ?

Yes, says he, sure aren't I talking to you now....

mylestheslasher

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 05, 2013, 10:46:53 AM
I got an ultrasonic plug in as had bother with rats.  Fingers crossed as have had no problems since.  Apparently these devices will only keep mice/rats away, not much use in dealing with ones already in your house.  If you spot a mouse and shout as loud as you can at the wee critter, they are meant to drop dead.

Completely useless I'm afraid. Poison and traps is all that will work.

spuds

Quote from: mylestheslasher on March 05, 2013, 02:13:48 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on March 05, 2013, 10:46:53 AM

Completely useless I'm afraid. Poison and traps is all that will work.

Told by a guy that sells the poison that if using the likes of Storm block poison to break it up as he would often find their nest hoarded with the blue blocks untouched. If broken up they either will eat it or leave it.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

The Gs Man

Lost my iphone for a week there. Turns out there was a mouse using it as a wide-screen TV in under the kitchen kick-boards. He had a wee bed set-up in a match-box and everything.

I let him tear away for a while to see what the craic was but I had to put a stop to it when he started downloading apps.  Anyway, to cut a long story short, I gave him an old Nokia and he's happy enough.   
Keep 'er lit

Tony Baloney

Any other ideas?
You are some craic  ;). By using the search word "mice" you get the following...

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20723.0

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=14177.0