Passport Problem

Started by Mickey Linden, July 05, 2011, 09:59:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

I know this topic comes up every year but Im starting to panic a bit regarding my passport. Im heading away on holidays on Saturday week and applied for my Irish passport about 2 weeks ago. I was originally given the date as 4th July tho this has now been pushed out to 5 working days after this date according to the online passport express.
Problem is that I got a teacher to contersign my photos. Someone was telling me that it must actually be a vice principal. Whats the chances of my application getting through? And if it is rejected how would I get a new one in a few days?
Cheers.

Tubberman

I sent mine in for renewal at end of March or start of April and still haven't heard anything!!
I didn't send it by passport express though and I forgot to take down the application number on the form  which means I can't track the application online:-[

I've tried ringing but couldn't get through (typical public service!), and have filled out the contact form on the website but nobody has contacted me. Was planning a weekend away in Europe this month, but that can't happen now  >:(
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Mickey Linden

Yeah I have tried ringing the number flat out too. It just goes straight onto an answermachine to tell u they are unable to take ur call. What a joke!
Im in a bit of a pickle of what to do now. When I logon to passport express I get the following,

Application Number Entered: 10192693034
Status: Application No. 10192693034. Received on 21/06/2011 and has been registered.

Issue Date: 04/07/2011 (This is the target date and is for applications received by Passport Express only, however the passport office is currently experiencing delays of 5 working days, which you should add to this date)
Website Last Updated:  05/07/2011 at 7:45

Where is Our Niall Loney when u need him?

Bingo

While I am no fan of public service and its lacking in so many ways, both of you have made feck ups in your applications - one left it close to the bone and a potential error in getting photo's signed and the other sent it in snail mail and has no idea of the reference number on their form to track it.  ???

And ye are wondering why no-one is answering the phone to help you. Maybe they are all busy trying to sort through the mistake ridden applications that they have received.

Tubberman

Quote from: Bingo on July 05, 2011, 10:27:41 AM
While I am no fan of public service and its lacking in so many ways, both of you have made feck ups in your applications - one left it close to the bone and a potential error in getting photo's signed and the other sent it in snail mail and has no idea of the reference number on their form to track it.  ???

And ye are wondering why no-one is answering the phone to help you. Maybe they are all busy trying to sort through the mistake ridden applications that they have received.

I know I should have taken down the ref number, but I sent it over 3 months ago! Surely I should have received some form of response from them by now?

Bingo

In a normal working public service yes but its Ireland and the pasport problems of the past year should have told you otherwise.

No offence, but you made a terrible decision by sending it snailmail. How much did you save doing it that way, regardless of the timeframe you thought you had.

Mickey Linden

Can anyone clarify if a teacher signing the form is acceptable or does it actually have to be a V.P? Whats the chances of it getting rejected?

Bingo agreed. I should have been more careful in the application.

Im a bit disapointed with the passport express service. To be honest its not really giving me any info at the minute and what sort of service are not able to be contacted?

Tubberman

Quote from: Bingo on July 05, 2011, 10:36:57 AM
In a normal working public service yes but its Ireland and the pasport problems of the past year should have told you otherwise.

No offence, but you made a terrible decision by sending it snailmail. How much did you save doing it that way, regardless of the timeframe you thought you had.

It wasn't a case of saving a few pence, it was sheer laziness! I just stuck it all in an envelope and put it in the 'out' tray at work.
God knows, it could be lying in a corner of the mailroom somewhere for all I know. You're right, terrible decision. Will get off my arse and go to post office next time, I'll guarantee you that much.

Bingo

Quote from: Mickey Linden on July 05, 2011, 10:39:00 AM
Can anyone clarify if a teacher signing the form is acceptable or does it actually have to be a V.P? Whats the chances of it gettign rejected?

http://www.dfa.ie/uploads/documents/Passport_documents/aps2%20e%20form.pdf

I assume that this is the form you used and yes it quite clearly says a Principal or VP. No idea what steps they'll take to check this, maybe the official stamp will do them?

Hardy

Quote from: Tubberman on July 05, 2011, 10:44:29 AM
Quote from: Bingo on July 05, 2011, 10:36:57 AM

It wasn't a case of saving a few pence, it was sheer laziness! I just stuck it all in an envelope and put it in the 'out' tray at work.
God knows, it could be lying in a corner of the mailroom somewhere for all I know. You're right, terrible decision. Will get off my arse and go to post office next time, I'll guarantee you that much.

I'd say you'll have to make a new application on a lost passport basis - see Section 6 on Bingo's linked form above. You have to go to the guards and get them to stamp your declaration that the passport is lost. It might get complicated if you say you sent it with an application and it's lost in the passport office.

Minder

Quote from: Bingo on July 05, 2011, 10:46:00 AM
Can anyone clarify if a teacher signing the form is acceptable or does it actually have to be a V.P? Whats the chances of it gettign rejected?

I assume that this is the form you used and yes it quite clearly says a Principal or VP. No idea what
steps they'll take to check this, maybe the official stamp will do them?

If there is no official stamp they will try and contact your witness twice, if they don't make contact the application will be landed back to you. As regards the "we are unable to take your call", you just have to keep trying.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Bingo

Can anyone clarify if a teacher signing the form is acceptable or does it actually have to be a V.P? Whats the chances of it getting rejected?

Bingo agreed. I should have been more careful in the application.

Im a bit disapointed with the passport express service. To be honest its not really giving me any info at the minute and what sort of service are not able to be contacted?

Just mentioned the passport service on Ray Darcy there. A woman text to say it took her 16 days to get passport back through passport express.

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Minder on July 05, 2011, 11:19:28 AM
Quote from: Bingo on July 05, 2011, 10:46:00 AM

I assume that this is the form you used and yes it quite clearly says a Principal or VP. No idea what
steps they'll take to check this, maybe the official stamp will do them?

If there is no official stamp they will try and contact your witness twice, if they don't make contact the application will be landed back to you. As regards the "we are unable to take your call", you just have to keep trying.

There is an offical school stamp on it alright. The problem is that they are a teacher and not a VP. When asked occupation they stated teacher. Just hoping that it might get through as they will assume they are a VP but slim enough chance I would think.

fitzroyalty

Sorry for hijacking but when you get your passport renewed, does your passport number change?

armaghniac

QuoteSorry for hijacking but when you get your passport renewed, does your passport number change?

Yes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B