JP splashes the cash!

Started by johnnycool, December 14, 2023, 11:41:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: time ticking away on December 14, 2023, 07:54:28 PM
Quote from: Rois on December 14, 2023, 07:37:50 PMThere are still some clubs that have separate men's and women's football, and camogie and hurling clubs are also included. So in Tyrone, each club might get £4k each.

It is a fantastic gesture that will cause plenty of headaches  ;D
Ah now, there isn't 250 clubs in Tyrone

No, the £4k was tongue in cheek, but I saw a figure of £20k mentioned on social media - that was very optimistic.  50 could become 100 when you add in hurling, camogie and separate ladies' clubs. 

Milltown Row2

Be great if your club only has one code and single sex
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 14, 2023, 10:46:59 PMBe great if your club only has one code and single sex
Depends on how many of those clubs are in the county though! Each individual club dilutes the share of the €1m.

square_ball

Quote from: Rois on December 14, 2023, 10:28:58 PM
Quote from: time ticking away on December 14, 2023, 07:54:28 PM
Quote from: Rois on December 14, 2023, 07:37:50 PMThere are still some clubs that have separate men's and women's football, and camogie and hurling clubs are also included. So in Tyrone, each club might get £4k each.

It is a fantastic gesture that will cause plenty of headaches  ;D
Ah now, there isn't 250 clubs in Tyrone

No, the £4k was tongue in cheek, but I saw a figure of £20k mentioned on social media - that was very optimistic.  50 could become 100 when you add in hurling, camogie and separate ladies' clubs. 

Yeah definitely not be €20k per club

There's 47 football clubs for starters. Add in the separate hurling, camogie and ladies football clubs probably getting between 60 and 70 in total?

WeeDonns

Did I see this year that some clubs have formally adopted the the "One Club" guidelines - have they done themselves out of payouts for each of their separate codes?

Nothing for handball & rounders  :P

Itchy

sam03/05

The £1million would be much better used by county boards rather than being allocated to clubs. It becomes far too diluted - like if a club gets say £4k it's not really going to make a massive difference over the next few years in the grand scheme of things and most of it will fall into the pockets of outside managers in brown envelopes.
But if the county board used one million to say  employ coaches in schools or clubs or even to improve facilities then  it would be money much better spent

Itchy

Quote from: sam03/05 on December 15, 2023, 10:09:39 AMThe £1million would be much better used by county boards rather than being allocated to clubs. It becomes far too diluted - like if a club gets say £4k it's not really going to make a massive difference over the next few years in the grand scheme of things and most of it will fall into the pockets of outside managers in brown envelopes.
But if the county board used one million to say  employ coaches in schools or clubs or even to improve facilities then  it would be money much better spent

Wouldnt agree with that at all. Clubs rarely get a penny from county boards, it's all take take take as far as I see. This way communities get some benefit.

naka

Quote from: sam03/05 on December 15, 2023, 10:09:39 AMThe £1million would be much better used by county boards rather than being allocated to clubs. It becomes far too diluted - like if a club gets say £4k it's not really going to make a massive difference over the next few years in the grand scheme of things and most of it will fall into the pockets of outside managers in brown envelopes.
agree with this
diluting the money means it will end up paying managers wages etc and not have a material impact
give it to county boards with the clear proviso its spent on a capital project
Armagh building the portadown training base a perfect example

Eire90

What about london and new york

Rossfan

Naka and Sam, isn't it a condition of the donation that its to be split evenly among all clubs of the 3 Associations?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: naka on December 15, 2023, 10:21:11 AM
agree with this
diluting the money means it will end up paying managers wages etc and not have a material impact

Don't agree with this at all and also don't agree with that map in the Irish Times based on the previous donation, for Down anyway.

Firstly I know where our part of it will be going and it's on improving our playing surface, not paid managers etc etc as we don't do such a thing and I'd hazard this amount could be put to good use by lots of the smaller clubs going year to year hand to mouth.

If anything I'd be more concerned about County boards using the money to pay managers than a lot of clubs.

Very seldom does the money from Croke Park trickle down to the clubs in a meaningful way, trust me.

Saffrongael

Quote from: johnnycool on December 15, 2023, 11:21:06 AM
Quote from: naka on December 15, 2023, 10:21:11 AM
agree with this

Don't agree with this at all and also don't agree with that map in the Irish Times based on the previous donation, for Down anyway.

Firstly I know where our part of it will be going and it's on improving our playing surface, not paid managers etc etc as we don't do such a thing and I'd hazard this amount could be put to good use by lots of the smaller clubs going year to year hand to mouth.

If anything I'd be more concerned about County boards using the money to pay managers than a lot of clubs.

Very seldom does the money from Croke Park trickle down to the clubs in a meaningful way, trust me.

100% - Antrim spent the guts of €250k last year on their senior hurling and football management teams, not prep or food or anything, paying them. I wouldn't trust them to put that money to any good use anytime soon, let clubs use it as they see fit.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

LeoMc