Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Quote from: winsamsoon on April 17, 2011, 03:51:02 PM
Ballymacnab beat clans by 5. Decent game . Result stinking.

Jasus I thought the result wasn't too bad
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

winsamsoon

I suspect we were looking from different perspectives onion lol
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Onion Bag

Quote from: winsamsoon on April 17, 2011, 04:05:47 PM
I suspect we were looking from different perspectives onion lol

You could be onto something there alright winsam ::)

anportmorforjfc

An Portmor 2-11 Clonmore 1-6
Great start to the year!

crossfire

Cross beat Sarsfields by about 9 points....2-16 to 2-7 i think.

crossfire

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: crossfire on April 17, 2011, 07:46:38 PM
Any other results lads.?

Mullaghbawn beat the Bridge in Division 2 I heard.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

TacadoirArdMhacha

ACL Division 1: St Patrick's 2-9 Culloville 0-8

St Patrick's and Culloville served as the curtain raiser to the Armagh Leagues for 2011 as the sides met at High Noon in Culloville on Sunday. Missing seven regular players from last year's side, victory was always likely to be a difficult task for a Cullyhanna side who have picked up an unfortunate habit of making poor starts to League campaigns in recent seasons. St Patrick's began this game brightly however by creating a glorious goal chance which was unfortunately missed. It wasn't long until the account was opened with a point which was added to soon after by Shane McKeever who pointed a free after being fouled himself. St Patrick's were beginning to get on top as Micky Murray won a ball well in defence and initiated a good Cullyhanna movement which resulted in a Kieran Hoey point. Hoey was again the benefactor as a purposeful run from Liam O'Hare ended in another Cullyhanna score to put the away side four in front. While Cullovile had not yet troubled the scoreboard, they were still well in contention and indeed only some very poor shooting from the home side prevented them from narrowing the deficit.

After around 20 minutes, Culloville finally broke their scoring duck with an excellent long range effort. Another pointed Culloville free followed before St Pat's re-asserted their domination of affairs when a long ball forward was well won by Kieran Hoey who laid the ball off to the onrushing Rory O'Neill who kicked a good point. These direct tactics worked again minutes later when a great crossfield ball from Kieran Hoey found Shane McKeever who laid the ball off to Rory O'Neill for another score. A key phase of play came late in the first half just after Mal Mackin was forced to switch to full forward having picked up a knock. This proved to be a fortuitous injury as a Kieran Hoey free was well caught by the county man close to the Culloville goal. Mal turned his marker well and slid a low shot past the Culloville goalkeeper for a goal which meant that despite a late Culloville point, Cullyhanna's half time advantage was reasonably comfortable as they led by 1-6 to 0-3. However the disparity on the scoreboard was not truly reflective of the evenness of the exchanges , the main difference between the sides being that fact that Cullyhanna were more adept at turning possession into scores.

The second half began well for St Pat's as Liam O'Hare kicked a superb point with the outside of the boot. A Culloville free kept them in touch but 11 minutes into the half a good St Pat's move resulted in Rory O'Neill adding another point. Scores were at something of a premium during the next phase of the match however Culloville began to dominate affairs and reeled off three points in a row between the 16th and 22nd minutes of the half. With only four points now between the sides, a goal would certainly have been crucial and Culloville were presented with a golden opportunity for a major score when an attacker was pulled down for a penalty. The crucial kick was well saved by Deaglan McArdle however and as the ball was scrambled away for a 45 which was eventually cleared, the Cullyhanna faithful breathed a huge sigh of relief. Four minutes later, St Pat's eased themselves further in front when a sweeping attacking move involving Liam O'Hare and substitute Eugene Casey resulted in Rory O'Neill kicking his fourth point of the match from a difficult angle. With two minutes to go the result was put beyond doubt when Eugene Casey was hauled down for a St Patrick's penalty. Shane McKeever made no mistake in goaling from 12m to ensure a Cullyhanna victory. A late Culloville point served as nothing more than consolation as Cullyhanna ran out comfortable victors on a scoreline of St Patrick's 2-9 Culloville 0-8.

While this was a pleasing and probably deserved victory, the seven point margin was flattering to a Cullyhanna side that played in patches rather than producing a sustained performance. Nevertheless, with so many players missing, those who stepped into the breach can be proud of their efforts. Kieran Hoey, Deaglan McArdle and Liam O'Hare all had good games but pride of place should certainly go to Rory O'Neill who kicked a magnificent four points from play on his debut for the side. Next up for St Pat's is a match against Granemore on Wednesday night.

ACL Division 4: St Patrick's II 0-6 Dorsey Emmetts 1-6

Local pride was at stake at St Patrick's Park Cullyhanna as parish rivals Dorsey and Cullyhanna Seconds met in the opening game of the season. Played in brilliant sunshine, the match almost started perfectly for Cullyhanna as Patsy McKeever burst through the Dorsey defence but had his shot saved before Dorsey managed to scramble the ball clear. A minute later the St Pat's onslaught continued as Brendan Quinn passed to Peter Loughran who popped the ball over the ball for the opening score. However the lead did not last long as Gary Mackin surged through the Cullyhanna defence with a goal on his mind. Mackin was felled by the goalkeeper however the loose ball was kicked to the net for a Dorsey goal. This was a huge blow for a Cullyhanna side who had the best of the early exchanges but went further behind due to a long range pointed Gary Mackin free. Dorsey made St Pat's pay dearly for their indiscretions with three more pointed frees between the 14th and 26th minutes, the only St Pat's reply being from Patsy McKeever who kicked a point after being supplied the ball by Peter Loughran. With three minutes left in the half, Dorsey fisted another point to put themselves six points to the good however Cathal O'Neill had the final say in the half with a pointed free to leave the scoreline at the interval: St Patrick's 0-3 Dorsey 1-5.

While the half-time deficit was substantial, Cullyhanna's opportunity was far from lost particularly with the aid of the second half breeze. It was however Dorsey who started the half the brightest with a pointed free to increase the advantage to six again. Yet that was to be the Emmetts' last score of the match as St Pat's grabbed a strangehold on the game. Direct football from Paudie Mackin and Miceal Connolly began the fightback when a free from the former found Connolly well who made no mistake in turning and shooting the ball over the bar. Midway through the half Miceal almost fashioned a goal opportunity for himself but when that avenue was closed off, patient play worked the ball to Brendan Nugent who kicked a score. By this stage St Pat's were very much in the ascendancy but were still finding scores difficult to come by as numerous opportunities were wasted due to a failure to supply the final pass with precision.  While St Pat's enjoyed a lot of possession, their scoring rate was not doing justice to their efforts and indeed it was the 29th minute of the half before Cathal O'Neill's magnificent long range free brought St Pat's within a goal of the opposition. In the 3 minutes of injury time, the home side pressed for the goal that would have given them deserved draw but although the chance did eventually arrive, unfortunately it was scuffed wide as Dorsey held on to secure the victory.

While the St Pat's side will no doubt be disappointed with the result, they can at least take heart in the fact that while they slumped to two heavy defeats against this opposition last year, on this occasion they were very unfortunate not to get at least a share of the spoils. While the quality of football was not particularly high due to both sides displaying some early season rustiness, the application and effort shown by St Pat's augurs well for the season ahead. Best of the day were probably wing backs Christopher Thompson and Sean Nugent while Miceal Connolly was a constant threat up front.

Scorers: Miceal Connolly (0-1) P Loughran (0-1) P McKeever (0-1) C O'Neill (0-2) B Nugent (0-1)

Onion Bag

Fair play to u tac, u always give a great account of proceedings

ogshead

Quote from: Onion Bag on April 17, 2011, 09:27:55 PM

I was just thinking that myself

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ogshead on April 17, 2011, 09:44:50 PM
Quote from: Onion Bag on April 17, 2011, 09:27:55 PM

I was just thinking that myself

Thanks lads - appreciate it. They are the notes for the Cross Examiner and Armagh Down Observer. Actually takes longer to do than you'd think though I often regret my failure to properly proof read!

Onion Bag

Full roundup lads

Sunday 17th April Simplyfruit.com ACL
Division 1
Granemore 1-18 v Maghery 0-05
Pearse Og 1-19 v Dromintee 0-04
Clan na Gael 1-13 v Ballymacnab 3-12
Cullaville 0-08 v St.Patricks 2-09
Sarsfields 2-10 v Crossmaglen 2-19
Carrickcruppin 0-08 v Whitecross 0-13
Division 2
Keady 0-15 v Clann Eireann 1-08
Armagh Harps 1-11 v Wolfe Tone 1-11
Tullysaran 1-10 v Killeavy 1-15
Madden 0-12 v Tir na nOg 0-10
Silverbridge 0-08 v Mullabawn 1-10
St.Michaels 0-07 v Shane O'Neills 1-09
Division 3
Grange 2-20 v Forkhill 2-11
Collegeland 0-07 v Middletown 0-08
Annaghmore 2-11 v Belleek 1-11
An Port Mor 2-11 v Clonmore 1-06
St.Pauls 2-13 v Crossmaglen 2nds 0-11
St.Peters 0-08 v Ballyhegan 0-04
Division 4
Dromintee 2nds 0-05 v Lissummon 0-14
Clady 0-10 v Derrynoose 0-04
St.Patricks 2nds 0-06 v Dorsey Emmetts 1-06
Killeavy 2nds 1-11 v O'Hanlons 0-06
Eire Og 2-10 v Corrinshigo 1-04
Killean—Bye

Armaghgael

Granemore match was 1-19 to 0-4 not 1-18 to 0-5
;D ;D ;D
If in doubt.......take man and ball!

winsamsoon

Are the any clubs in Armagh that have folded the year? i heard shane o'Neills and belleeks but i see results for them
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Onion Bag

Phelim Bradys and Mullabrack are not in playing in the leagues but are playing in the reserve leagues