Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: illdecide on March 28, 2011, 05:04:01 PM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on March 28, 2011, 04:22:21 PM
The Cuchulainn Hurling Club are hosting their annual Texas Hold'em Nite this Friday 1st April, 9pm @ Pearse Ogs Club rooms. The entry is £20 and there is a large field of 70 plus expected to be there.

Thats unbelieveable Spirit

What? the attendance?

illdecide

I was just messing with ya ;)

70 is a good turn out if ya get it, had about 80 at ours there at Christmas with £2k paid out for £30 in
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: winsamsoon on March 28, 2011, 01:52:24 PM
I thought this debate was about St Pat's so how does the clans come into it??
If you are asking about how the clans of the last few years would cope with cross then yes they would be destroyed aswell. This doesn't change the fact that Cullyhanna are a very average team. This is nothing to do with arrogance it is simply m opinion that if cross hit top gear they would destroy cullyhanna is all departments. Cullyhanna have a few decent players but i certainly wouldn't mind drawing them in the later stages of the championship

So why didn't Cross hit top gear in both the championship semi-final and the subsequent replay? Genuinely, I'm interested. You mightn't "mind" Clans drawing us but unless there is a significant improvement in Clan na Gael from last year what you won't be "minding" is your club's exit from the championship.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

fitzroyalty

To be fair TAC you'll be hard pushed to ever see such a tame performance from any club in the SFC again, never mind the Clans.

winsamsoon

Tac i am not going to get into the ins and outs of my club on a public forum. As i have said before, what has happened in the past doesn't guarantee anything for the future so drawing with cross last year doesn't neccesarily mean you will draw with them this year.

I haven't seen anything in the Armagh championship over the last few years that has changed my opinion. That opinion being that Cross are the team to beat and the og's are probably next best. I think there is a net then that can be thrown around another 5 or 6 teams that could beat each other. That would include yourselves, Dromintee, Harps, Ourselves and Granemore. By the way i am not taking a dig at Cullyhanna i am only commenting on them because i know you are a cullyhanna man and we can have some sort of debate which others can join in.

To answer the question as to why cross didn't hit top gear last year, the answer is i don't know. But what i will say is that if they would have put in a performance like they did against Kilmacud i think they would have beaten anyone in Armagh comprehensively .
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Ulick

winsamsoon

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Orior

Bit of symmetry about the eyes there.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ogshead

Quote from: Scarface on March 25, 2011, 06:43:46 PM
"Despite the fact that the Harps got to the final once 2 years ago I still wouldn't have had them down as contenders"

Who would have thunk it eh..... ::)

There also seems to be some justification to my opinion now.

Armagh Cúchulainns

Quote from: ogshead on April 07, 2011, 09:13:05 PM
"Despite the fact that the Harps got to the final once 2 years ago I still wouldn't have had them down as contenders"

just some!!
Its all about the Hurling.

ogshead

Quote from: Armagh Cúchulainns on April 07, 2011, 10:00:50 PM
Quote from: ogshead on April 07, 2011, 09:13:05 PM

just some!!

6-18 to 0-4... big gulf in class. I know it was only a friendly match but there's no way the Ogs should be beating the Harps by that much if they are real challengers for the championship. Who knows, maybe they can turn it around.

BenDover

there should have been another 3-4 goals on top of the 6

bennydorano

Revised targets alrite. We've lost 9/10 starters from the County Final, unbelievable number to lose in such a short period of time. We've put out stronger B teams in recent years  than last night's team.

Scarface

"There also seems to be some justification to my opinion now."

Haha - well done you...you are a bright lad after all.

Thats some score alright...really bad - the Ogs are not that good so the Harps must have been really bad...did not make the match but got one or two texts about it....hardly believed the score I was hearing could be correct. It must have been a poor enough team fielded. Any reports on who was playing, who did the damage for the Ogs etc etc?

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: bennydorano on April 08, 2011, 09:16:42 PM
Revised targets alrite. We've lost 9/10 starters from the County Final, unbelievable number to lose in such a short period of time. We've put out stronger B teams in recent years  than last night's team.

I've always felt over the last decade or so that we have been in the top four or five in the County, without ever really threatening to be number one. Consequently, we could go far with a good draw, or get kicked out in round one with a tough draw. Indeed there were two occasions (2003 and 2008) when we went under to Cross in semi-finals where we gave them a good run, with young teams, and it might have reasonably been expected that we could buld on those performances and go on and make the breakthrough in the coming years.

However last year was the first time I felt our position in the grand scheme of things slipping. At the end of last season, I would have had Rangers, Dromintee, Ogs, Granemore, Ballymacnab and St Pats ahead of us. You could argue one or two others.

Against that background, we have since lost a number of significant players - Collie Holmes, all round legend and gentleman, has called time - the leader of the team who is quite simply irreplaceable. Kevin Kelly and Martn McCoy are in England and there are others who have quit for their own reasons ( ::)). There is now a significant danger that the potential brought by a rich seam of underage talent is going to turn to dust at Senior level. For instance, I'd be curious to know how many of our Ulster Minor Club winning team will feature regularly this year
at Senior Level.

This was always going to be a testing year. That said, what happened on Thursday night shocked me, and would increase my concerns for the short to mid term period.

Knowing that, I will not be going to Harps matches this year expecting success. All I would ask is that those that do play give off their best, and do so with pride in the jersey. I know for a fact that the Senior Management will!