Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skiddybadoo

winsamsoon

Is that the final under 21 squad??? surely there will be more cross
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

illdecide

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 11, 2011, 01:21:48 AM
Is that the final under 21 squad??? surely there will be more cross

No sir, that's it. A few surprise exclusions from a few south armagh clubs...North Armagh manager ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

winsamsoon

It seems a strong enough squad on paper. Won't be a bad thing to shake things up a bit with a mixture of a lot of clubs. But i just hope with the North Armagh man at the helm he hasn't overlooked certain players based on regional placement. I wouldn't advocate that as i have complained in the past as this biased has been noticeable  IMO from certain south Armagh managers towards North Armagh players.

AFS

Three starters from last year's under 21 team not even retained on this year's panel as far as I can make out. This is a bit odd.

DuffleKing

Quote from: fitzroyalty on February 10, 2011, 06:12:25 PM
Why are the county board so opposed to double headers?

Doesn't generate the same revenue as two stand alone fixtures.

Of course, it's more important to maximize attendance at all games and to generate atmosphere if you are concerned about promoting armagh football.

Applesisapples

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 11, 2011, 12:16:22 PM
It seems a strong enough squad on paper. Won't be a bad thing to shake things up a bit with a mixture of a lot of clubs. But i just hope with the North Armagh man at the helm he hasn't overlooked certain players based on regional placement. I wouldn't advocate that as i have complained in the past as this biased has been noticeable  IMO from certain south Armagh managers towards North Armagh players.
Get over yourselves, Armagh doesn't stop at Poyntzpass, no matter what Tony Fearon says!! :D You all seem to forget that this North Armagh man built the team that won sam in 02 for joe. He and POR seem to have a good understanding when it comes to players being used in Senior and U21 squads.

winsamsoon

This arguement of people building teams for future success is a load of bollix and is only another excuse for failure (talking about senior level), The arguemnt can only be used if this is your intention from the start. when the lad in question was running Armagh his aim wasn't to prepare the team for 3 or 4 years down the line it was to achieve there and then or at least in the short time these guys were in charge. They didn't do this, therefore they underachieved so stop trying to turn failure round as if it was planned .

armaghniac

Doesn't generate the same revenue as two stand alone fixtures.

Use the Athletic grounds and charge more for the stand than the terrace, and it might generate the same revenue, and have decent crowds.

QuoteArmagh doesn't stop at Poyntzpass, no matter what Tony Fearon says!!

it does, if you head down over the canal!  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pearseog

plus more neutrals would go to a double header for say £10 than a standalone fixture at £7

DuffleKing

You are both right on the double headers but that's not how the county board thinks.

At least they have made some progress... championship matches on at the same time seem to be a thing of the past.

crossfire

Frank Kernan who was right half back on the 1953 team has died.

Frank also played on the successful 1949 minor team and up to 2009 was the only Cross man to hold an all Ireland minor medal.

May he rest in peace.

Applesisapples

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 12, 2011, 04:19:56 PM
This arguement of people building teams for future success is a load of bollix and is only another excuse for failure (talking about senior level), The arguemnt can only be used if this is your intention from the start. when the lad in question was running Armagh his aim wasn't to prepare the team for 3 or 4 years down the line it was to achieve there and then or at least in the short time these guys were in charge. They didn't do this, therefore they underachieved so stop trying to turn failure round as if it was planned .
You are the one talking bollix and your obvious bias is showing quite clearly. The two Brians made the best of what talent was available winning back to back Ulsters and were unlucky not to have gone all the way. At no stage did I say that they were building for the future. What they brought to Armagh was a structure and a training regime that had been missing. Ask any one who played under them. Brian McAlinden was not universally like by the players but was respected for what he had done. I'm not taking away from Joe Kernan but he brought an element of luck in 02 that we didn't get before and some might argue since. As an Armagh fan first and foremost I get sick of this North/South split...One county one team. I also think the failure of other Clubs to get behind Cross is another example of short sightedness.

winsamsoon

You did clearly imply that they were building for the future when you said that they done the ground work for the team that won the all Ireland. It is easy to say this afterwards but it is only an excuse for underachieving and trying to take a positive out of a negative. This argument doesn't hold any water IMO as Kernan came in with his own background team and setup and it was his influence on the team and the attitudes of the players that won the All Ireland in 02' it was nothing to do with what had gone before.

The fact is that the Armagh team under the two Brians and under Kernan did not win as much as they should have. That is nothing to do with opposition or luck. Look at Tyrone, a team that never won half as many Ulster titles as Armagh in the last decade but compare their number of All Ireland titles.  Previous to the last two years Armagh was in the mix up for All Ireland honours for a decade, winning one title was an under achievement . I remember many of occasions were the management made the wrong decisions regarding subs ie Ger Houlahan coming on as a done man, Mc Geeney our rock being taken off in Croke handing the incentive to Tyrone, starting players when other things had gone wrong prior to the kick off ie Mc Conville starting and staying on for so long after the sad loss of his father . Of course these things are only my opinion but the bottom line is Armagh underachieved so the two Brians argument is wearing thin and holds no credibiltiy

ogshead

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 15, 2011, 05:10:47 PM
You did clearly imply that they were building for the future when you said that they done the ground work for the team that won the all Ireland. It is easy to say this afterwards but it is only an excuse for underachieving and trying to take a positive out of a negative. This argument doesn't hold any water IMO as Kernan came in with his own background team and setup and it was his influence on the team and the attitudes of the players that won the All Ireland in 02' it was nothing to do with what had gone before.

The fact is that the Armagh team under the two Brians and under Kernan did not win as much as they should have. That is nothing to do with opposition or luck. Look at Tyrone, a team that never won half as many Ulster titles as Armagh in the last decade but compare their number of All Ireland titles.  Previous to the last two years Armagh was in the mix up for All Ireland honours for a decade, winning one title was an under achievement . I remember many of occasions were the management made the wrong decisions regarding subs ie Ger Houlahan coming on as a done man, Mc Geeney our rock being taken off in Croke handing the incentive to Tyrone, starting players when other things had gone wrong prior to the kick off ie Mc Conville starting and staying on for so long after the sad loss of his father . Of course these things are only my opinion but the bottom line is Armagh underachieved so the two Brians argument is wearing thin and holds no credibiltiy

Despite the All Ireland succes, I feel Armagh underachieved under Big Joe. The two Brians came in after Armagh had been hammered by Derry and built an Ulster Championship winning team. They brought a winning mentality to the table and the belief that they just had to make the final leap. Joe to his credit put the finishing touches to that team. Would Armagh have the All Ireland if Joe had to build from scratch?