Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Kid

AFS why could moriarty not play corner back? i agree with u that half back is his best position but as we saw in the league final last year he can do a great man marking duty when asked so I would be confident in him playing corner back more so than duffy or martin. Dyas said last week he feels far fitter this year than he did last year and that can only be good for armagh. I still think most of our problems come from midfield and not being able to gain enough primary possession, Toner is a shoe in but I havent seen anyone else ie vernon/mackin/lavery do enough consistently to be certain starters, although maybe david mckenna could be an option. On another note, does anyone know how far away ronan clarke is from playing?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: crossfire on January 24, 2011, 10:14:00 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 24, 2011, 12:40:42 AM
Under 21 Championship final - St Patrick's 0-8 Crossmaglen Rangers 2-8

The under 21 championship which commenced in April 2010 finally reached its conclusion on Sunday last however there was to be no fairytale ending for the Cullyhanna side who were defeated by a well drilled Crossmaglen outfit at Killeavy. After a somewhat tempestuous opening with tackles flying, it was Crossmaglen who drew first blood when a lobbing effort dropped beyond the reach of the St Pat's netminder for a goal. Despite this horrific opening, St Pat's soon responded and a foul on Tony Donnelly allowed Kieran Hoey to open the Cullyhanna scoring after 5 minutes. A minute later an inspirational run from full back Colm Hoey ended in a Crossmaglen player dragging the former county minor to the ground only for Robbie Tasker to strike the ball perfectly over the bar from all of 40 yards. Kieran Hoey and Jamie Clarke exchanged further frees to leave the score 1-1 to 0-3. After 17 minutes, St Pat's finally managed to supply Robbie Tasker with quality ball however he was immediately fouled on gaining possession. Kieran Hoey made no mistake with the resultant free kick to draw the sides level and Cullyhanna went ahead soon after from a Robbie Tasker free. Although Cullyhanna had managed to gain a stranglehold on the match at this stage, their dominance was soon broken as Cross swept forward in a bright attacking movement. Despite some dubious handpasses in the build-up, a penalty was awarded following a clear foul and Armagh star Jamie Clarke made no mistake in dispatching the ball to the net from 11 metres. Cross forged 3 ahead with a Jamie Clarke point but in  first half injury time, a Gary McCooey free kick found Tasker well. Unsurprisingly given what had been happening throughout the half, Robbie was again unceremiously fouled but dusted himself down to score the free.

With the halftime score standing at St Pat's 0-6 Crossmaglen 2-2, the Cullyhanna faithful had every right to feel that they were well in the match. Although the quality of the match had not been high, Cullyhanna had slightly the better of the exchanges but trailed due to the clinical manner in which Crossmaglen made each attack count.

As so often happens, the opening minutes of the second half were to prove crucial and it was in this period that Crossmaglen laid the foundations for their victory. In the 10 minutes following half-time the Rangers achieved almost total dominance of possession and displayed remarkable accuracy to kick 5 unanswered points, 2 of which were from play. Having extended their advantage to seven, Crossmaglen were never likely to falter and so it proved as Cullyhanna never really looked like reducing their deficit by a significant margin. However it might all have been so difficult had Kieran Hoey not seen his powerful shot ricochet off the Crossmaglen post following a superb driving run while there were only four points between the teams. To be fair to the St Pat's side, they did put their opponents under pressure in the final quarter however Crossmaglen defended superbly to ensure that their goal remained in tact. Two Robbie Tasker pointed frees were all Cullyhanna could muster in reply as Crossmaglen ran out worthy victors by 2-8 to 0-8 and we warmly congratulate them on their success.

Although this was not to be Cullyhanna's day, they can take pride in their efforts throughout the competition. Given the haphazard manner in which fixtures arrived it was difficult for the side to build up any momentum. While no doubt the entire team will be disappointed in the second half performance, Pearse Casey, Colm Hoey and Kieran Hoey can take great pride in their individual displays.

Starting XV: D McArdle; E McArdle, C Hoey, S O'Neill; G McCooey, N McShane, M Murray; G McCooey, P Casey; K Nugent, T Donnelly, K Hoey (0-3), T Donnelly, K Nugent; K McEvoy, R Tasker (0-5), R McMahon. Subs Used: K McCooey, A McCooey, R O'Neill

Such a biased report.
You would think the Cullyhanna boys were all angels. ???

Club notes are, by their very definition, biased accounts. I'm happy to discuss any perceived inaccuracies.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AFS

Quote from: The Kid on January 24, 2011, 10:34:54 PM
AFS why could moriarty not play corner back? i agree with u that half back is his best position but as we saw in the league final last year he can do a great man marking duty when asked so I would be confident in him playing corner back more so than duffy or martin. Dyas said last week he feels far fitter this year than he did last year and that can only be good for armagh. I still think most of our problems come from midfield and not being able to gain enough primary possession, Toner is a shoe in but I havent seen anyone else ie vernon/mackin/lavery do enough consistently to be certain starters, although maybe david mckenna could be an option. On another note, does anyone know how far away ronan clarke is from playing?

He played there quite a lot under McDonnell and the consensus was that he wasn't very good. Barry Shannon edged him out eventually. Maybe he's worth another go, not a massive fan of Duffy and Martin back there either.

illdecide

Please note that the NFL Match v Dublin on Saturday 5th February 2011, will be an all ticket game.
the tickets are divdied into 3 sections Seated Stand , Terrace and Juvenile
(Please note the Juvenile tickets for the seated stand will be in specific areas only)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: illdecide on January 25, 2011, 11:01:31 AM
Please note that the NFL Match v Dublin on Saturday 5th February 2011, will be an all ticket game.
the tickets are divdied into 3 sections Seated Stand , Terrace and Juvenile
(Please note the Juvenile tickets for the seated stand will be in specific areas only)

Emails were sent late last night wanting clubs to know their requested allocation by Friday night.

How long have the County Board known about this fixture?!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

The Kid

What way does the season ticket work for the dublin game? Can I still get a seat in the stand?

crossfire

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 24, 2011, 10:37:13 PM
Quote from: crossfire on January 24, 2011, 10:14:00 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 24, 2011, 12:40:42 AM
Under 21 Championship final - St Patrick's 0-8 Crossmaglen Rangers 2-8

The under 21 championship which commenced in April 2010 finally reached its conclusion on Sunday last however there was to be no fairytale ending for the Cullyhanna side who were defeated by a well drilled Crossmaglen outfit at Killeavy. After a somewhat tempestuous opening with tackles flying, it was Crossmaglen who drew first blood when a lobbing effort dropped beyond the reach of the St Pat's netminder for a goal. Despite this horrific opening, St Pat's soon responded and a foul on Tony Donnelly allowed Kieran Hoey to open the Cullyhanna scoring after 5 minutes. A minute later an inspirational run from full back Colm Hoey ended in a Crossmaglen player dragging the former county minor to the ground only for Robbie Tasker to strike the ball perfectly over the bar from all of 40 yards. Kieran Hoey and Jamie Clarke exchanged further frees to leave the score 1-1 to 0-3. After 17 minutes, St Pat's finally managed to supply Robbie Tasker with quality ball however he was immediately fouled on gaining possession. Kieran Hoey made no mistake with the resultant free kick to draw the sides level and Cullyhanna went ahead soon after from a Robbie Tasker free. Although Cullyhanna had managed to gain a stranglehold on the match at this stage, their dominance was soon broken as Cross swept forward in a bright attacking movement. Despite some dubious handpasses in the build-up, a penalty was awarded following a clear foul and Armagh star Jamie Clarke made no mistake in dispatching the ball to the net from 11 metres. Cross forged 3 ahead with a Jamie Clarke point but in  first half injury time, a Gary McCooey free kick found Tasker well. Unsurprisingly given what had been happening throughout the half, Robbie was again unceremiously fouled but dusted himself down to score the free.

With the halftime score standing at St Pat's 0-6 Crossmaglen 2-2, the Cullyhanna faithful had every right to feel that they were well in the match. Although the quality of the match had not been high, Cullyhanna had slightly the better of the exchanges but trailed due to the clinical manner in which Crossmaglen made each attack count.

As so often happens, the opening minutes of the second half were to prove crucial and it was in this period that Crossmaglen laid the foundations for their victory. In the 10 minutes following half-time the Rangers achieved almost total dominance of possession and displayed remarkable accuracy to kick 5 unanswered points, 2 of which were from play. Having extended their advantage to seven, Crossmaglen were never likely to falter and so it proved as Cullyhanna never really looked like reducing their deficit by a significant margin. However it might all have been so difficult had Kieran Hoey not seen his powerful shot ricochet off the Crossmaglen post following a superb driving run while there were only four points between the teams. To be fair to the St Pat's side, they did put their opponents under pressure in the final quarter however Crossmaglen defended superbly to ensure that their goal remained in tact. Two Robbie Tasker pointed frees were all Cullyhanna could muster in reply as Crossmaglen ran out worthy victors by 2-8 to 0-8 and we warmly congratulate them on their success.

Although this was not to be Cullyhanna's day, they can take pride in their efforts throughout the competition. Given the haphazard manner in which fixtures arrived it was difficult for the side to build up any momentum. While no doubt the entire team will be disappointed in the second half performance, Pearse Casey, Colm Hoey and Kieran Hoey can take great pride in their individual displays.

Starting XV: D McArdle; E McArdle, C Hoey, S O'Neill; G McCooey, N McShane, M Murray; G McCooey, P Casey; K Nugent, T Donnelly, K Hoey (0-3), T Donnelly, K Nugent; K McEvoy, R Tasker (0-5), R McMahon. Subs Used: K McCooey, A McCooey, R O'Neill

Such a biased report.
You would think the Cullyhanna boys were all angels. ???

Club notes are, by their very definition, biased accounts. I'm happy to discuss any perceived inaccuracies.

Please accept my apologies for not realising that you were posting the Cullyhanna notes on this forum.
As club notes are usually posted on a clubs own site you will understand why i thought you were posting a match report for the benefit of gaa board members.  ???

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: The Kid on January 25, 2011, 07:48:35 PM
What way does the season ticket work for the dublin game? Can I still get a seat in the stand?

All season ticket holders are guaranteed seats in the stand yes.

Onion Bag

Is the Armagh game still on tonight?

what time?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

usa07

what was the armagh team tonight?

CountyMan

St Marys 1-16 Armagh 2-7

1. Mccullaugh
2. Martin
3. Toner
4. McKenna
5. Duffy
6. Dyas
7. Feeney
8. Lavery
9. Vernon
10. Grugan
11. Watters
12. Anto Duffy
13. Murtagh
14. Nippy swift
15. Stevie

handocommando

Pics of the changing rooms in the Athletic grounds prob as close as any of us will ever get !!
http://www.armatile.com/gallery/6/sport-and-leisure.aspx

bennydorano

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 26, 2011, 08:09:13 AM
Quote from: The Kid on January 25, 2011, 07:48:35 PM

All season ticket holders are guaranteed seats in the stand yes.

Not so:

A chara
Following consultation with ticket staff in Croke Park it has been
decided that the cost of tickets for the Armagh v Dublin NFL game will
be €13 or £11 for all parts of the ground.
There will also be Juvenile tickets available priced as follows €5 or
£4. There will be concessions for pensioners but no prices have been
agreed as of yet.
As a result it was agreed that tickets will only guarantee entry into
the ground after that it's first come first served.
Therefore to allow clubs extra time to collect requests from members
the deadline for placing of orders is extended to Sunday at 6pm

winsamsoon

So a season ticket doesn't guarantee you every game?
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

armaghniac

QuoteSo a season ticket doesn't guarantee you every game?

A season ticket does guarantee you every game, but does it get you a seat?

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B