Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

The only problem with Paul Duffy is finding a place for him. He is not a tight enough marker in my opinion for the corner and that only leaves wing half back. I would worry about both he and AK on the wings and don't believe there is much between them when they play wing back. AK is a reliable free taker, however, and that is why I would give him the nod - but only just. My only regret is that we do not yet have as big a problem in midfield or half forward!

DuffleKing

You all seem to be skirting around he issue that a lot of people do. ak isn't good enough to start on a team with potential half backs the calibre of mckeever, duffy, donaghy, moriarty and dyas.

Carrying a defender for frees is not on at this level. either he earns a place in the forwards or he sits on the bench.

The Kid

But Aaron Kernan is the best ball carrier in the back line and probably the best passer of the ball so in my opinion he has to start. I agree with what you are saying about Duffy aswell as he was one of our best players last year but that was when Kernan was stranded up in centre half forward running around like a headless chicken. A solution could be to play dyas in corner back and duffy in half back but then again that would hinder dyas as he is so comfortable on the ball. young morgan for cross looks like a very good defender but as of yet I don't thinkk he is on the panel, but def one for the future

pearseog

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 18, 2010, 05:54:41 PM

You all seem to be skirting around he issue that a lot of people do. ak isn't good enough to start on a team with potential half backs the calibre of mckeever, duffy, donaghy, moriarty and dyas.

Carrying a defender for frees is not on at this level. either he earns a place in the forwards or he sits on the bench.

spot on...i think paul duffy is a better passer and ball carrier than AK and anyone who followed our championship win in '09 and armagh last year should see that??

DuffleKing

I don't buy this ball carrying and passing stuff with ak. He carries the ball in ineffective areas - McKeever, Dyas, Moriarty and duffy are all much more penetrating carriers of the ball. Also, he is neat and tidy with his punt passing - he always takes the sure option and does it well - good quality - but he will never open a defence up or create with a pass. Steven and tony are much better in that department. We have always known his defensive frailties, although i thought he had shown signs of improvement in 08 & 09. He had a poor armagh championship though. Dyas, who isn't even a forward, destroyed him in the county final.

In my view, our best defence looks something like: Mallon, Donaghy, an other, Dyas, McKeever, Duffy.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: winsamsoon on December 17, 2010, 03:27:46 PM
Quote from: orchard 8195 on December 17, 2010, 02:10:59 PM
Quote from: winsamsoon on December 17, 2010, 12:57:44 PM
In the defense Mc Keever gets my vote at chb. He will be there to snuff out the dangers and hold the middle. Ak on one wing and acting as the link up man between backs and forwards and probably Dyas on the other wing. Think Moriarty would be better coming on as a sub as he will always run himself into the ground. Duffy is another option at half back, again powerful going forward.  just don't feel he is as good on the ball as the others and possession is key.

FF line would be Tasker, R Clarke, Mc Donnell

Hf line                J.Clarke,?,?  Think we need a player in here who can win the dirty ball and double up in defense if Kernan or Dyas was to move forward. Also have the diversity to be able to move into the defense and vice versa.               
do u mean u wouldnt have jamie clarke on then?

No i would have clarke and two others but wasn't sure who. I think Brian Mallon has a great workrate but he just doesn't have enough creativity and Micheal O Rourke for me is lacking pace meaning any good man marking could sniff him out. The lad can take a score but i have yet to see him perform in big games (i must confess i have only really seen him against Cross and Harps so other lads are probably in better positions to comment on him) IMO we need a ball winner, a natural scorer and a playmaker in Hf. That combination for me would work best and the more players we have with two or three of these attributes then even better

think he got 1-3 or 1-4 in county final this year?also tortured finn mo in sigerson final

DuffleKing

Mallon is not a hard worker in my view. The reason for that seems obvious - not as fit as those around him

RealSpiritof98

So despite a good year last year Duffy must be benched to make way for the mighty AK. Are you joking?

Duffy is a gain line breaker, great distributer, point taker and is a must in this Armagh team if we are to get back and challenge the top teams.

fitzroyalty

In that case AK would be cut from the same cloth as CV. Two brilliant athletes but nowhere to play them. I'd have Duffy ahead of both of them.

thewanderer

some crap being stated on here. not to pick paul duffy about the only player to take the fight to monaghan would be madness. halfback line will probually be ak cmck paul duffy. full-backs am bd fm.

thewanderer

i heard from a cruppin source that willie j padden has transfered to them recently. what happened that he went of the radar for mayo last year? hope he didnt see last years cship match with cross or he will change his mind.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: thewanderer on December 21, 2010, 09:07:56 AM
some crap being stated on here. not to pick paul duffy about the only player to take the fight to monaghan would be madness. halfback line will probually be ak cmck paul duffy. full-backs am bd fm.

That's the one i'd go with. Plenty of pace & experience in there... all coming to their peak!

Slicker

Id go with:

Hearty
Mallon
Donaghy
Duffy
AK
McKeever
Dyas
Toner
Lavery
Swift
SK/MOR
Vernon/Grugan
Clarke
Clarke
McDonnell

I know two players cant play in the same position so i would play vernon, only if grugan doesnt show something in the early stages of his young career. People can sometimes get carried away with throwing names into teams without seeing them at that level. So basically i would only play vernon if grugan takes bit of time to develop at senior level. Vernon built up by all to be certain starter but def not the case. For no.11 i am in bit of trouble. B.Mallon doesnt cut it, as much as i like his effort and will to do well i think we need someone creative like sk or mor.

mackers

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on December 21, 2010, 11:03:49 AM

That's the one i'd go with. Plenty of pace & experience in there... all coming to their peak!
But not much defending either Goats, we can afford to have one ball playing HB bombing up the field but not two. I would have Duffy on ahead of AK myself going on last year's performances. It's a pity we didn't have such a choice in the HF line.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: mackers on December 21, 2010, 02:09:09 PM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on December 21, 2010, 11:03:49 AM

But not much defending either Goats, we can afford to have one ball playing HB bombing up the field but not two. I would have Duffy on ahead of AK myself going on last year's performances. It's a pity we didn't have such a choice in the HF line.

Says who? - says you!
If they're going forward all the time, i've no problem with it... means Armagh have posession! - As long as they use it well, then Armagh won't be exposed!

Attack (& Defend) in numbers!  ;)