Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DuffleKing

Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2010, 02:29:10 PM
Deccie McKenna might get a run in defence. Natural CHB but could do a job at FB, with Donaghy with UUJ he might get a go, but a big ask of a 19 yr old I suppose.

Can he mark Benny? Haven't really see him excel in that department to date

bennydorano

Probably a fair enough assessment tbh, a good reader of a game and played mostly for us in a holding/springboard to attack role.  He can mark ok, but this is a step up.  By the looks of that panel he'll get a chance to show us if he can at this level.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 16, 2010, 03:06:00 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2010, 02:29:10 PM
Deccie McKenna might get a run in defence. Natural CHB but could do a job at FB, with Donaghy with UUJ he might get a go, but a big ask of a 19 yr old I suppose.

Can he mark Benny? Haven't really see him excel in that department to date

He seemed to pick up the opposition danger man at minor level.

DuffleKing

Yip - Any time i've seen him lay for the harps though (not that often) he seems a loose defender and more of a ball player?

fitzroyalty

Quote from: mackers on December 16, 2010, 12:36:26 PM
Who are these players who are not getting a fair crack of the whip?
Ryan McQuillan Wolfe Tones sticks out for me. How he hasn't got a call up for at least McKenna is baffling considering some of the players who have.

Edit - Who have the in past, not directing that at any one on the 2011 McK Cup panel

The Kid

Does anyone know who the ten are in the senior development squad? I know mc verry and tasker are in it, just wondering who else is in it? From what I've seen of him, Stephen Harold from Cruppen looks a good prospect, one of the few cruppen players who played well against cross in the c'ship. Also, good to hear ronan clarke is on the mend, no longer have to rely solely on stevie

winsamsoon

I think Stefan Campbell from the clans is also in it. My own personal view on that development panel is that it is a load of balls and a cop out. If a manager can't select his team ie a panel of 30 then he shouldn't be there . It isn't fair to ask lads to knock their pan in training and at the end of it they may not even get a jersey on the day as they are outside the the 24. I have seen it done and it is horrible on lads that have done all the same training and not to be even given a skip to kit out. Tell them there and then and be done with it. This is not the same as closing the door and the panel should be open all year round.

Mackers you seem to be facinated with naming people and a few lads have taken the bate and jumped at your command. when you start naming names the crux of the debate then become lost as people then start voicing their opinions on players. This is not what i am saying I on the other hand am speaking in general terms. I don't get the chance to watch all club games every week but i have seen and heard reports of players in Armagh putting in sublime performances for their clubs. There is no doubt there are worthy players in the county. People say we have no mid fielders then you go out and find two . You don't keep calling back the same pair year after year in the hope they will someday put in a god performance. If we don't have scoring half forwards then you go out to the club games and find them. It ain't rocket science and these players are within the county.

There is also the other option if you don't like the topic of debate then don't comment  :-X
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

mackers

Quote from: winsamsoon on December 16, 2010, 04:21:59 PM
There is also the other option if you don't like the topic of debate then don't comment  :-X
I think it's reasonable to ask a fella who keeps on saying that there are players in the county who aren't being given a fair crack of the whip to name them. If you don't give him that chance that he's gonna sound like he's talking crap. :)

You seem happy to have a pop while saying yourself that you don't see these players play but you "have heard reports of players putting in sublime performances for their clubs".

Some fringe players are being given a chance in an extended squad to impress the county management but you say it's a load of balls.

I think you just like a good moan.

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: The Kid on December 16, 2010, 04:00:49 PM
Does anyone know who the ten are in the senior development squad? I know mc verry and tasker are in it, just wondering who else is in it? From what I've seen of him, Stephen Harold from Cruppen looks a good prospect, one of the few cruppen players who played well against cross in the c'ship. Also, good to hear ronan clarke is on the mend, no longer have to rely solely on stevie
james lavery tones also

winsamsoon

Well if i am not seeing these players week in week out how else am i supposed to know about there consistency if i don't hear from people at the games? I see my own club week in week out and to be honest they have had a low key year. A brutal championship campaign and a struggling league one. But there are players in our team with potential ie Stefan Campbell and certain other very young lads that if given the proper coaching could be potential decent players. I am sure the same can be said for the majority of clubs in Armagh certainly the first division. Naming names has nothing to do with the point i am making so i still can't understand your infatuation with this point. I am saying that there are better players in the county that have potential and are potentially better than the status quo that is returned each year on merit. These players (a group) are not being given a fair crack of the whip. I don't see how you cannot grasp this.

Also and i stand to be corrected but this extended squad is not giving these lads a chance as it is simply putting them from 30-40 in the pecking order. So the management are saying you are not good enough to be in the actual squad but you can come into a squad within a squad. I would find it difficult to get motivated for such a scenario and i would say i am not the only one.

For the past decade Armagh have chosen mainly big men year in year out. Now some of these lads had little brain and restricted football ability. In comparison to tyrone the skill levels and football ability throughout most of the pitch was evident. Had we no smaller footballing players in the county. Had we no natural scoring forwards that could have been used? These are all hypothetical questions that don't need any names
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

AFS

Has Stefan Forker been jettisoned completely, or is he with a university team?

maddog

What ever happened to that lad Gaughran that was suggested as potential star a few years ago ?

illdecide

Quote from: maddog on December 17, 2010, 10:11:25 AM
What ever happened to that lad Gaughran that was suggested as potential star a few years ago ?

The dromintee lad? aye he looked the business a few years ago but went backwards...although he may have had an injury?
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

mackers

Winsam, I agree with you on some points (we've definitely been concentrating on beef over brawn) but I just haven't seen any club players that will solve our glaring problem.
I don't think we are far away from being contenders on the big stage but to do that we need an additional 2/3 forwards and inject some badly needed pace into the team. IF Ronan Clarke is fully fit this year (it's a big if) then we have a FF line to beat the band with as J Clarke,R Clarke and S McDonnell are a serious threat to any defence. We need scoring HFs. I see big potential in Nippy Swift and would have him in there so IMO we're looking for two forwards.  Young Grugan is going to be a hell of a player but it's unfair to put pressure on him to perform this year but I'd certainly have a look at him.  Stefan Forker is definitely worth keeping in the panel as he is accurate although inconsistent. If he's throwing the head then he may not be kept on the panel.
You've mentioned Stefan Campbell, I've only seen him twice and he didn't go well in either game but I've heard good reports and maybe he should be given a chance.
A lad that I was impressed with a couple of times I saw him last year was Paul Forker but I hear he has soccer as a distraction. Robbie Tasker is potentially the best forward we have in Armagh and hopefully he keeps the head down and works hard at his game. I'd say if he were to stay committed to this elite/development training squad (or whatever it's called) and the u21s he may well be drafted in to the senior set up later in the year. Eugene McVerry is another one to be looked at.
In the management's defence, I'd say they'll want to make a big effort to stay in Division 1 and as such, experimentation will be minimal.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

illdecide

My 6 forwards would be...

10. Swift
11. B Mallon or S McDonnell
12. J Clarke
13. R Henderson
14. R Clarke
15. McDonnell

If McDonnell played at 11 then tasker or McVerry could possibly line out at 15 or whatever other young lad showing in training. I'm pretty sure I've left a player out here somewhere (the snow's distracting me this morning...lol)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch