Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crossdoesitbest

Quote from: Joxer on December 13, 2010, 12:27:01 PM
From BBC NI:

Armagh are to sell the naming rights for their new 19,500-capacity stadium which is due to be opened in February.

The county's Athletic Grounds venue has been redeveloped and includes a new 5,600-seat stand and a covered terrace accommodating 2,500 spectators.

"We are offering a great opportunity for a brand to be associated with what will be one of the top sporting venues in Ireland," said official Paul Kelly.

Armagh's first match at the new venue will be against Dublin on 5 February.

Other features in the £4.5m scheme are dressing rooms, medical facilities, 36 turnstiles and improved access for disabled spectators.

Kelly, chairman of the My Armagh development body, added: "The stadium will be the home of major National League, Ulster and All-Ireland qualifiers matches for football and hurling.

"It will also host, through time, hundreds of club championship games at all levels for football, hurling and camogie."

A few suiters might include,

Club Orange

Applegreen

Orange

Magners

camloughlad

On the 2nd January 2011 Corrinshego GFC will play St Pauls school in a charity match in aid of the Ryan Cinnamond Fund. The match will take place at St Pauls playing field with the throw in at 11am. There will be some "celebrities" playing and it promises to be a good mornings craic. There will be no admission charge but a voluntary donation can be made at the gate. Please come along and support this very worthy cause.

winsamsoon

Quote from: orchard 8195 on December 14, 2010, 12:19:59 PM
Quote from: gander on December 14, 2010, 11:37:49 AM
Think Oisin has already said he definitely wont be back.  I think he could still do a job but unless he's going to be the difference between winning a championship or not there's no point in him coming back.  Its time to let the younger forwards prove themselves
Personally think that armagh aren't that far away. The way he is playing I think he could make the difference in winning another ulster title at least. Armagh have 4 major deficiencies. Half forward line, midfield, over relience on stevey in forward line and in my opinion anyway free taking. I think he could go some way in solving 3 of these. I know the man is getting on but just think he is playing some  unbelievable stuff lately that warrants thinking about it

To say that a team is not too far away but cite 4 major deficiencies , two of which are crucial positions is a contradiction. There is no doubt there players to succeed are in the county but the selection process is the major issue. There are lads in the county That aren't given a crack at the whip. There has been manager after manager coming in and sticking with the status quo. Now the bulk of players from last year would be on the panel but we have natural scoring half forwards and decent midfielders. Therefore change the structures and bring in the players to strengthen the team. Enda Mc Nulty was allowed to occupy a place on last years panel. What purpose did this serve? If it was for experience then he should have been added to the management setup and not occupying the place of a lad at 21 years of age.  Armagh as a team have always under achieved even in the so called good old days. We have never had the diversity and in depth panels that the Tyrones and Kerrys have had in the last decade. We have witnessed errors over the years ie bringing Houllie on in extra time against Kerry when the man was done, taking MC Geeney off the field against Tyrone and handing them the pyshocological advantage to name a few. Forget about Mc Conville the man has done more than his bit and understands that he has to make way for the young lads like Clarke and co. We should structure the team better with these lads and over the next four or five years we will be competing again and see the v
benefits.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

The Kid

I agree with winsamsoon, the talent is there, look at the minor team of a few years ago who had no problem scoring. I'm looking forward to seeing young grugan and mc parland getting a chance this season, and with jamie clarke and stevie playing together, could be a promising season. does anyone know what the story is with ronan clarke? is he near a comeback yet?

DuffleKing

Play the best players in the best positions whatever their ages. this develop for the future and play the kids is bollox.

Joxer

For any of you who dont know what this is about,  I think this link works but it will fill you in.

http://radiotime.com/program/p_164650/The_Stephen_Nolan_Show.aspx

Hopefully it works!

Don Johnson

Any word from the Clans meeting last night over the management?

mackers

Quote from: winsamsoon on December 15, 2010, 10:52:31 PM
Think Oisin has already said he definitely wont be back.  I think he could still do a job but unless he's going to be the difference between winning a championship or not there's no point in him coming back.  Its time to let the younger forwards prove themselves
Personally think that armagh aren't that far away. The way he is playing I think he could make the difference in winning another ulster title at least. Armagh have 4 major deficiencies. Half forward line, midfield, over relience on stevey in forward line and in my opinion anyway free taking. I think he could go some way in solving 3 of these. I know the man is getting on but just think he is playing some  unbelievable stuff lately that warrants thinking about it

To say that a team is not too far away but cite 4 major deficiencies , two of which are crucial positions is a contradiction. There is no doubt there players to succeed are in the county but the selection process is the major issue. There are lads in the county That aren't given a crack at the whip. There has been manager after manager coming in and sticking with the status quo. Now the bulk of players from last year would be on the panel but we have natural scoring half forwards and decent midfielders. Therefore change the structures and bring in the players to strengthen the team. Enda Mc Nulty was allowed to occupy a place on last years panel. What purpose did this serve? If it was for experience then he should have been added to the management setup and not occupying the place of a lad at 21 years of age.  Armagh as a team have always under achieved even in the so called good old days. We have never had the diversity and in depth panels that the Tyrones and Kerrys have had in the last decade. We have witnessed errors over the years ie bringing Houllie on in extra time against Kerry when the man was done, taking MC Geeney off the field against Tyrone and handing them the pyshocological advantage to name a few. Forget about Mc Conville the man has done more than his bit and understands that he has to make way for the young lads like Clarke and co. We should structure the team better with these lads and over the next four or five years we will be competing again and see the v
benefits.
Not this one again winsam, the last time you brought this up you wouldn't name names...........until you do it isn't a serious argument

Quote from: The Kid on December 15, 2010, 11:12:29 PM
I agree with winsamsoon, the talent is there, look at the minor team of a few years ago who had no problem scoring. I'm looking forward to seeing young grugan and mc parland getting a chance this season, and with jamie clarke and stevie playing together, could be a promising season. does anyone know what the story is with ronan clarke? is he near a comeback yet?
He's listed in the McKenna Cup panel and they're hoping to get him some game time before the league.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

illdecide

Quote from: Don Johnson on December 16, 2010, 09:53:37 AM
Any word from the Clans meeting last night over the management?

Was there a meeting last night Don? I'll have to make a few enquires...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orchard 8195

Quote from: winsamsoon on December 15, 2010, 10:52:31 PM

benefits.

The point i was trying to make about not being to far away is look at last year. we beat down in the league final who were v close to winning the AI and could have beat dublin who were within a point of an AI final. This was despite these problems. If these were rectified what could we acheive? However i agree totally with your other statements regarding players not getting a fair crack of the whip. There are players added to the mckenna panel  and have been there before and have simply not cut it. Also their form in the club championship did not warrant their inclusion. (Not talking about o'rourke who had a great club season.) Totally agree with u about enda where it was pointless having him on board last year however he is finished the way oisin looks at the min he is far from finished and is a shoo-in for ulster club player of year. I know it is very unlikely that it will happen though was just trying to point out that the man could still be the answer to a lot of Armaghs problems regardless of age and was trying to see what other thought on the matter. Think Tasker and Carragher should have been included on panel

mackers

Who are these players who are not getting a fair crack of the whip? Division 1 in the league is not somewhere that we can do widespread experimentation. We need to find 2/3 more forwards and there have been a number of lads added to the panel with that in mind. Robbie Tasker is on an extended panel and if he shows well with this I'm sure he'll get on the senior squad, he has the talent.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Goats Do Shave

Armagh McKenna Cup Panel - 2011

1. Conor Clarke (Pearse Og)
2. Ronan Clarke (Pearse Og)
3. Kevin Dyas (Dromintee)
4. Anto Duffy (Pearse Og)
5. Paul Duffy (Pearse Og)
6. Joe Feeney (Madden)
7. Rory Grugan (Ballymacnab)
8. Paul Hearty (Crossmaglen)
9. Ryan Henderson (Clann Eireann)
10. James Lavery (Maghery)
11. Steven McDonnell (Killeavy)
12. Philip McEvoy (Dromintee)
13. Ciaran McKeever (St Patrick's)
14. Declan McKenna (Armagh Harps)
15. Gavin McParland (Ballymacnab)
16. Malachy Mackin (St Patrick's)
17. Andy Mallon (Pearse Og)
18. Brian Mallon (Tir na nÓg)
19. Vincent Martin (Dromintee)
20. Finnian Moriarty (Wolfe Tone)
21. Gareth O'Neill (Dromintee)
22. Michael O'Rourke (Dromintee)
22. Gareth Swift (Armagh Harps)
24. Kieran Toner (Granemore)
25. Charlie Vernon (Armagh Harps)
26. Colm Watters (Culloville)

AFS

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on December 16, 2010, 01:54:12 PM
Armagh McKenna Cup Panel - 2011

1. Conor Clarke (Pearse Og)
2. Ronan Clarke (Pearse Og)
3. Kevin Dyas (Dromintee)
4. Anto Duffy (Pearse Og)
5. Paul Duffy (Pearse Og)
6. Joe Feeney (Madden)
7. Rory Grugan (Ballymacnab)
8. Paul Hearty (Crossmaglen)
9. Ryan Henderson (Clann Eireann)
10. James Lavery (Maghery)
11. Steven McDonnell (Killeavy)
12. Philip McEvoy (Dromintee)
13. Ciaran McKeever (St Patrick's)
14. Declan McKenna (Armagh Harps)
15. Gavin McParland (Ballymacnab)
16. Malachy Mackin (St Patrick's)
17. Andy Mallon (Pearse Og)
18. Brian Mallon (Tir na nÓg)
19. Vincent Martin (Dromintee)
20. Finnian Moriarty (Wolfe Tone)
21. Gareth O'Neill (Dromintee)
22. Michael O'Rourke (Dromintee)
22. Gareth Swift (Armagh Harps)
24. Kieran Toner (Granemore)
25. Charlie Vernon (Armagh Harps)
26. Colm Watters (Culloville)

Really only one natural FB in the panel. The are a couple of lads that can drop back, but its far from ideal to have to shoehorn players into positions they rarely look comfortable in. With such a paucity of options, its maybe no wonder Enda McNulty was retained for so long.

bennydorano

Deccie McKenna might get a run in defence. Natural CHB but could do a job at FB, with Donaghy with UUJ he might get a go, but a big ask of a 19 yr old I suppose.

AFS

Quote from: bennydorano on December 16, 2010, 02:29:10 PM
Deccie McKenna might get a run in defence. Natural CHB but could do a job at FB, with Donaghy with UUJ he might get a go, but a big ask of a 19 yr old I suppose.

Might be worth trying him in the corner? Would perfer he be tried there than have Moriarty or Martin drop back anyway. It would also be worth trying Toner in at FB again to see if he can replicate the couple of displays from last year back there. And that would free up a space in the middle for the likes of O'Neill or Martin or even Anto Duffy to get a run.