Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GerryFromDerry

Quote from: HIGH BALL CENTRE FIELD on November 09, 2010, 10:26:04 AM
In relation to the comments made by Phil Stuart and some other ballinderry members on this board, I would like to state that this is NOT the opinion of most people in Ballinderry. In 2006 & 2008 the 2 best teams in Ulsterat the time contested the Ulster Final and on each occassion the best team won. Everyone knows that cross have a physical aspect to their game but they also have some great footballers and a great team spirit. Ballinderry has always strifed to meet the winning standards that cross has set. We would always be the first to congratulate them for their success. Over the past few years Ballinderry and Crossmaglen have had a good relationship especialy when cross came down to Ballinderry last year to play in the Conor McCusker tournament and the cross players will tell you about how good a night it was. Letters in papers by men who have left the parish 50 years ago and comments made here recently do not reflect the real feelings of the Ballinderry Shamrocks Club. I hope the Crossmaglen people will not sour the good relationship between the club because of the pettiness of a few people.

PS - I would like to wish Cross and all the other teams the best this weekend and may the best teams win. We will be watching with a little bit of jealously!

+1
As a proud Ballinderry man i agree with everything outlined above. i have nothing but respect and admiration for Crossmaglen. They beat us fairly in both Ulster finals but there was very little between the sides. I wish them all the best in the remainder of the Ulster C'ship and beyond.
Up the Shamrocks!

JUst retired

Fairplay to Highball and Gerry. Every club has it`s share of idiots :)

Dell

I don't know where this sudden anti Cross backlash has come from, i was at the St Galls game and thought it was a good exciting tough game with very little real controversy. This current Cross team is nowhere near as physical as teams from the past. There were a lot more 'incidents' in other games in Armagh and Ulster that never ever made the papers or web sites. I can remember incidents in games with Clontibret, Ballinderry, Mayobridge and Errigal Ciaran that all had more life and 'thuggery' as Phil Stewart described it  :D  I can remember a Francie Tackle on Peter the Great in Omagh that was XXX rated (i still don't know how he wasn't sent off and how Peter walked away from it)  but no one mentioned it again!  Other teams seem to have taken their beating and tried to learned from it. May be St Galls are still hurting from having their ego brused. Thought the guard of honour was a master stroke :D :D :D
light travels faster than sound this is why some people appear bright until they speak

crossdoesitbest

Well done Highball and Gerry. It's just a pity these two men had to come on and defend the name of their club after the comments of a dillusional clown!!!!!!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Dell on November 09, 2010, 04:16:07 PM
I don't know where this sudden anti Cross backlash has come from, i was at the St Galls game and thought it was a good exciting tough game with very little real controversy. This current Cross team is nowhere near as physical as teams from the past. There were a lot more 'incidents' in other games in Armagh and Ulster that never ever made the papers or web sites. I can remember incidents in games with Clontibret, Ballinderry, Mayobridge and Errigal Ciaran that all had more life and 'thuggery' as Phil Stewart described it  :D  I can remember a Francie Tackle on Peter the Great in Omagh that was XXX rated (i still don't know how he wasn't sent off and how Peter walked away from it)  but no one mentioned it again!  Other teams seem to have taken their beating and tried to learned from it. May be St Galls are still hurting from having their ego brused. Thought the guard of honour was a master stroke :D :D :D

I think it is actually Ballinderry ones complaining about it.  St Gall's have been fairly gracious in fact and apart from a small bit of whining from CJ they have been magnanimous.  The eejits on here bitching and the ones in the paper would be better off looking at their own structures within the club and offering their help instead of being anonymous know it alls who have done nothing to bring their clubs forward. 

As for the guard of honour, I reckon it was just pure honest respect.  It was done for us many times and I feel was right and proper.

GerryFromDerry

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 10, 2010, 09:24:35 AM

I think it is actually Ballinderry ones complaining about it.  St Gall's have been fairly gracious in fact and apart from a small bit of whining from CJ they have been magnanimous.  The eejits on here bitching and the ones in the paper would be better off looking at their own structures within the club and offering their help instead of being anonymous know it alls who have done nothing to bring their clubs forward. 

As for the guard of honour, I reckon it was just pure honest respect.  It was done for us many times and I feel was right and proper.

One Ballinderry man mentioned it in the Irish News. As someone said above he left the parish 50 years ago and probably hasn't seen us play since the 06 final plus a WUM on a discussion board. You make it sound that our whole club are up in arms ???
Up the Shamrocks!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: GerryFromDerry on November 10, 2010, 11:00:39 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on November 10, 2010, 09:24:35 AM

One Ballinderry man mentioned it in the Irish News. As someone said above he left the parish 50 years ago and probably hasn't seen us play since the 06 final plus a WUM on a discussion board. You make it sound that our whole club are up in arms ???

All I said was it was Ballinderry ones and not St Galls ones, calm down FFS. I was simply trying to point out to Dell that ST Gall's were actually pretty decent about things.  You and HBCF are no doubt more representative about of the feelings of true Ballinderry folk and your best wishes and wise words are welcomed. 

get up there

i really dont think crossmaglen would disrespect all ireland champions like that, when they have been there

thewanderer

cross locals are very gracious and gave the ogs a guard of honour this year when we travelled to cross for our league game. well one car load of boys who were stopped on the cullyhanna road by masked men, who said well done in winning the championship but yous wont win today and they wer right ;D

winsamsoon

Back to the good old days Wanderer. I remember years ago going to clans games with my da in the big blue bus we used to have and everytime we entered a zone anywhere near south Armagh the whole bus was took out and searched. At that time i hadn't a clue what was going on and thought it was good craic. Needless to say these guys weren't wishing us any luck.

I also remember going to some of the grounds for county minor training during the dark nights and thinking christ if someone would have been stopping on some of them roads what would i do. Scary stuff you wouldn't have known who would have stopped you.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Joxer

Quote from: winsamsoon on November 12, 2010, 12:08:25 PM
Back to the good old days Wanderer. I remember years ago going to clans games with my da in the big blue bus we used to have and everytime we entered a zone anywhere near south Armagh the whole bus was took out and searched. At that time i hadn't a clue what was going on and thought it was good craic. Needless to say these guys weren't wishing us any luck.

I also remember going to some of the grounds for county minor training during the dark nights and thinking christ if someone would have been stopping on some of them roads what would i do. Scary stuff you wouldn't have known who would have stopped you.

Why were you going to watch Minor training in South Armagh Winsam?  ;D

illdecide

Because Paddy Power was invented then ;) :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

crossfire

Quote from: thewanderer on November 12, 2010, 10:44:50 AM
cross locals are very gracious and gave the ogs a guard of honour this year when we travelled to cross for our league game. well one car load of boys who were stopped on the cullyhanna road by masked men, who said well done in winning the championship but yous wont win today and they wer right ;D

Them Cullyhanna boys are always up to some mischief. ;)

winsamsoon

Joxer and I'lldecide two comedians now i see, watch out  ;) :D
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.