Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wee Shea

Quote from: AFS on October 18, 2010, 02:22:19 PM
Quote from: Wee Shea on October 18, 2010, 01:08:35 PM
Quote from: cookstownblue on October 18, 2010, 12:52:40 PM
Anyone got the teams and scorers from cross game?

P Hearty
P McKeown
P Kernan
J Morgan
A Kernan (0-1)
D O Callaghan
S Finnegan
J Hanratty
D McKenna (0-1)
M McNamee
S Kernan (0-1)
F Hanratty (1-0)
T Kernan
A Cunningham (0-1)
O McConville (0-4)

Bellew for McNamee, K Carragher (0-3) for P McKeown, M Aherne for S Finnegan, M McNamee for F Hanratty

P McEvoy
C Fegan
E Martin
M McGahon
C McGuinness
A O Rourke
B Shannon
V Martin
G O Neill (0-2)
K Fearon
Micheal O Rourke (1-4)
S O Neill
K Dyas (0-1)
Martin O Rourke (0-1)
O Gaughran

P O Hare for K Fearon, P Courtney for O Gaughran, D McKenna for ?

I thought it was Cunningham that came off.

Could have been, I just copied from Irish News tbf.

mackers

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 18, 2010, 01:13:31 PM
Berf I think this is a very young team yet but a lot will depend on how they get on in the St Galls game.  In many respects it is set nicely for them in that there is very little expectation for them to do well but they have a great focus on for their first game, beating the AI champions in Cross.  The one thing that we like is a challenge and this is as big as they get.  Clarke will be back and the experience of Oisin and Francie will be vital but they definitely need more from the MF.  I still think they will struggle to beat St Galls but if they do that opens things up for them.  You would have to fancy whpever comes through that side of the Draw to win it outright with Burren and Coleraine in the other semi.
From what I hear bc, he won't be back for the St Galls game. He got 8 weeks for the incident in the Bridge, 4 weeks doubled because he was sent off earlier in the year.
On the game yesterday, it sort of backed up what I thought all year. The county team have never replaced the twins and Oisin so the job to replace them in Cross is even tougher. They're still a talented bunch but the Armagh championship is wide open again and I don't think Cross will beat St Galls (although the Ogs pushed them hard last year).
A lack of firepower hurt Dromintee with Miceal O'Rourke their only threat. A team with better forwards will punish Cross as even they can't keep winning games with 30-40% of possession. Worryingly, from Cross's perspective, without Oisin and Francie they would have been beaten yesterday.
David McKenna needs a good coach to take him to one side and teach him how to time his jumps (bring back Beefer and his balloons). Vincey Martin was giving away 3-4 inches in height but was timing his jumps much better.
It's tough on Dromintee who played well up until the final third of the pitch but in fairness, once Cross conceded the equalising score on two occasions they seemed to up the workrate and get important scores against the breeze.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Wee Shea

Quote from: mackers on October 18, 2010, 02:41:27 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 18, 2010, 01:13:31 PM
Berf I think this is a very young team yet but a lot will depend on how they get on in the St Galls game.  In many respects it is set nicely for them in that there is very little expectation for them to do well but they have a great focus on for their first game, beating the AI champions in Cross.  The one thing that we like is a challenge and this is as big as they get.  Clarke will be back and the experience of Oisin and Francie will be vital but they definitely need more from the MF.  I still think they will struggle to beat St Galls but if they do that opens things up for them.  You would have to fancy whpever comes through that side of the Draw to win it outright with Burren and Coleraine in the other semi.
From what I hear bc, he won't be back for the St Galls game. He got 8 weeks for the incident in the Bridge, 4 weeks doubled because he was sent off earlier in the year.
On the game yesterday, it sort of backed up what I thought all year. The county team have never replaced the twins and Oisin so the job to replace them in Cross is even tougher. They're still a talented bunch but the Armagh championship is wide open again and I don't think Cross will beat St Galls (although the Ogs pushed them hard last year).
A lack of firepower hurt Dromintee with Miceal O'Rourke their only threat. A team with better forwards will punish Cross as even they can't keep winning games with 30-40% of possession. Worryingly, from Cross's perspective, without Oisin and Francie they would have been beaten yesterday.
David McKenna needs a good coach to take him to one side and teach him how to time his jumps (bring back Beefer and his balloons). Vincey Martin was giving away 3-4 inches in height but was timing his jumps much better.
It's tough on Dromintee who played well up until the final third of the pitch but in fairness, once Cross conceded the equalising score on two occasions they seemed to up the workrate and get important scores against the breeze.

Re: Clarke, from Armagh forum:

QuoteHe will be back, wrongly reported somewhere as an eight-week suspension when it was four.

AFS

He's not assertive enough either. He still plays like it's his first year of senior football. A lad of his size, and now build, should be bullying opponents. Unfortunately from an Armagh perspective, I doubt that type of natural aggression, that lads like Ciaran McKeever have in abundance, can be coached.

armaghniac

In Cross they are expecting Jamie Clark back and that is a serious addition to any team. Cross' didn't get much  at midfield yesterday, apart from other issues McKenna seems not to be fit and to have problems with the pace in the second half. It is hard to see Corss' beating St Galls. As noted above Dromintee almost seemed unwilling to take the game by the scruff of the neck yesterday, Galls will not be intimidated by the modern Rangers.

Someone said that Cross' have now more county titles than any team in any other county (this may exclude hurling championships in counties with a handful of teams). They'll not win any more 13 in a rows but Kyle Carragher, James Morgan and Jamie Clark are good young players and McKenna may well do better than this year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mackers

Quote from: AFS on October 18, 2010, 03:21:12 PM

He's not assertive enough either. He still plays like it's his first year of senior football. A lad of his size, and now build, should be bullying opponents. Unfortunately from an Armagh perspective, I doubt that type of natural aggression, that lads like Ciaran McKeever have in abundance, can be coached.
You're right. Looking at yesterday's match from an Armagh prospective, what additional players need to be looked at and who's stock has gone down?
For me, we need to look at SK again (impressed me in Cross's championship matches, a better no 11 that AK), Miceal O'Rourke and James Morgan (he's plenty of the aggression you're talking about). There's potential in Kyle Carragher who has a lot of what we lack in our county team which is pace but he needs proper coaching as aside from yesterday when he played really well, he tends to do everything at 100 mph including shooting.
How TK still gets on the Cross team let alone the county panel would have to be questioned. David McKenna and Paul McKeown have gone down in the pecking order for me (with McKeown particularly poor in the drawn Cullyhanna game). Paul Kernan seems very poor under a high ball with Martin O'Rourke outfielding him for the Dromintee goal.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: mackers on October 18, 2010, 03:48:51 PM

You're right. Looking at yesterday's match from an Armagh prospective, what additional players need to be looked at and who's stock has gone down?
For me, we need to look at SK again (impressed me in Cross's championship matches, a better no 11 that AK), Miceal O'Rourke and James Morgan (he's plenty of the aggression you're talking about). There's potential in Kyle Carragher who has a lot of what we lack in our county team which is pace but he needs proper coaching as aside from yesterday when he played really well, he tends to do everything at 100 mph including shooting.
How TK still gets on the Cross team let alone the county panel would have to be questioned. David McKenna and Paul McKeown have gone down in the pecking order for me (with McKeown particularly poor in the drawn Cullyhanna game). Paul Kernan seems very poor under a high ball with Martin O'Rourke outfielding him for the Dromintee goal.

Was it Tony Kernan or Oisin who missed the free straight in front of the goals?

James Morgan would seem the player from that Cross side most likely to be brought onto the panel. Interestingly I counted 11 of that Dromintee team who have played for Armagh seniors which was significantly more than on the Cross side.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

harlechman

Any chance of getting a decent game of football was ruined by a completely incompetent referee. Some of the tackles that were allowed wouldn't have been out of place on a rugby field. Blantant pulling, dragging, pushes as players went down to pick up the ball etc. Made for a very poor game.

mackers

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on October 18, 2010, 04:04:49 PM
Quote from: mackers on October 18, 2010, 03:48:51 PM

Was it Tony Kernan or Oisin who missed the free straight in front of the goals?

James Morgan would seem the player from that Cross side most likely to be brought onto the panel. Interestingly I counted 11 of that Dromintee team who have played for Armagh seniors which was significantly more than on the Cross side.
It was Oisin.
The only possible reason for having Tony Kernan on the field for Cross or Armagh is his freetaking and with Oisin taking the frees, I wouldn't have him on the team ahead of Martin Aherne or Kyle Carragher.

1life 1club

Quote from: thewanderer on October 18, 2010, 09:01:58 AM
took in the match and have to say that dromintee will never have a better chance of beating cross. unfortunately they don't have the belief to beat them when with 5 to go and elements in their favour they froze. the only consolation is that it ends home finals for cross. In relation to the minor final congrats to shane o neills but i have to say the standard of both teams was pretty poor not that shanes will worry. minor teams of cross, harps, killeavey, ogs and keady must regret they didn't put in a better effort as a title was there on the basis of yesterdays game. ps did either of yesterdays minor finalists defeat any of the above teams. think it could be the end of the road for a few dtee starlets, including aiden o rouke and e martin
r u forgetting cullyhanna minors,we knocked cross out in the first round..u from the bridge??lol
full forward son

AFS

Didn't think Tony Kernan was too bad myself. Played a few nice passes and covered a lot of ground. Steady I suppose.

Kyle Carragher would be a very good wee player if he could replicate that kind of performance on a more frequent basis. His shooting has let him down a lot of the times I've watched him.

Would definitely agree with the James Morgan sentiments. Looks to have the makings of an extremely good player.

1life 1club

the irish news got the man of the match spot on today..had to be michael o'rourke..he was the best player on the dromintee team yday and probably over 60mins to..but sure lets give it to heroic francie..lol.it will prob be his last year..
full forward son

crossfire

Quote from: 1life 1club on October 18, 2010, 06:33:00 PM
the irish news got the man of the match spot on today..had to be michael o'rourke..he was the best player on the dromintee team yday and probably over 60mins to..but sure lets give it to heroic francie..lol.it will prob be his last year..

Did any of your lads ever get man of the match in a senior county final. :)

Legs11

Quote from: 1life 1club on October 18, 2010, 06:22:28 PM
Quote from: thewanderer on October 18, 2010, 09:01:58 AM
took in the match and have to say that dromintee will never have a better chance of beating cross. unfortunately they don't have the belief to beat them when with 5 to go and elements in their favour they froze. the only consolation is that it ends home finals for cross. In relation to the minor final congrats to shane o neills but i have to say the standard of both teams was pretty poor not that shanes will worry. minor teams of cross, harps, killeavey, ogs and keady must regret they didn't put in a better effort as a title was there on the basis of yesterdays game. ps did either of yesterdays minor finalists defeat any of the above teams. think it could be the end of the road for a few dtee starlets, including aiden o rouke and e martin
r u forgetting cullyhanna minors,we knocked cross out in the first round..u from the bridge??lol
Whats with ur LOL all of the time..what age are u 6?plus whats with you and the bridge get over them lad....

Legs11

Quote from: crossfire on October 18, 2010, 09:46:43 PM
Quote from: 1life 1club on October 18, 2010, 06:33:00 PM

Did any of your lads ever get man of the match in a senior county final. :)
Well said crossfire..franice played a stormer so had 2 be in the runnin for man of the match..great 2 see him gettin hoisted up in the air at the end....