Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twotwocharlie

don't know  why the bridge was overlooked for either of the games.

Sam of the Sarsfields

Quote from: twotwocharlie on September 05, 2010, 08:38:43 PM

Maybe because their main pitch is a disgrace.

1life 1club

Quote from: twotwocharlie on September 05, 2010, 08:38:43 PM
you avin a laugh,fair enuf the parking facilities is good and that but the playing pitch is terrible..the hill on it is as bad as the final mile at cheltenham
full forward son

DuffleKing

Took in all 3 game sover the weekend and was quite surprisingly entertained by the standard.

Nab v Dromintee

Nab opened the game like they meant business, racing ahead. but from the ten minute mark they were strangled and dromintee were always in control. after doing a nab and racing 5 clear at the start of the second half, dromintee stopped and nab fought their way back level. a high quality last ten minutes pushed dromintee clear in some style.
Dromintee looked poor in possession at times but in patches played some super football. great to see the kick pass still alive. Ballymacnab play a lot of tippy tappy footballl and dromintee let them build and took a lot of ball off them in their half back line. Grogan looks a very fine prospect. In a county where there is such a dearth of creativity and scoring power in the half forward line, it is a mystery how micheal O'Rourke isn't among the best 40 odd players - the lad was outstanding.
mom - m o'rourke

Granemore v Pearse Ogs

Granemore set such a tempo from the start that ogs were chasing possession all over the pitch. phenominal movement in the forward line and a very high work rate meant that Granmore were the best team on display over the weekend imho. Caolan Rafferty was the star. great pace and very direct. Ogs played very few forwards up and Granemore pressed the ball so hard that it was hard for the county champions to retain possession in the clutter around midfield. Ogs showed a very poor appetite in the first half and had no creative spark at all. hughes and toner had a great battle at midfield with toner only really coming into it late on.
It was probably frustrating for ogs men watching the wastefulness up front early in the second half and they started looking goals too early after they threw caution to the wind after the sending off. Granemore remained a threat on the break after the sending off because they have such pace all over the pitch. they were always in control and were very deserving winners. Anto Duffy had a fine second half when he came in but no other ogs man played to form. mallon should have been on rafferty from the off and the ogs tackling at the back let them down consistently.
mom - caolan rafferty

Crossmaglen v Harps

after starting with the breeze, the harps continually wasted possession in the first half. it was obvious they wanted to be direct into a very big full forward line but the delivery of the ball in was woeful. they needed two nippy swifts. one to pass and one inside to get on the end of it. the harps forward line - swift aside - showed no stomach for the battle and won next to no hard ball until the game was over.
Cross were pacey and efficient with the ball. they move out of defence very well and don't waste a ball. nothing is ever just kicked - always measured and percentage passes - a necessity given their lack of physique. it's interesting watching them operate with no means of winning primary possession. thei midfield is awful and they have a hard time winning break ball but turn a lot of ball over in their defence and counter attack. Jamie clarke is virtually unmarkable at the minute. wins every type of ball near him, beats his man comfortably and scores prolificly. Oisin is still kicking his frees as well as ever and that's a massive weapon.
Cross the foot off the gas with five to go and harps shought a bit of fight at last. the last 5 plus inj time showed quite a few frailties in the cross defence phtsically bit francie the red has to come back in.
mom - j clarke

Gripe of the weekend:
refereeing in armagh is awful. just awful.

thewanderer

Ogs very disappointed with their display on saturday night putting in their worst display in years. Still the injuries didn't help especially to key for wards which left them without a recognised free-taker. Ogs had 16 wides to Granemores 3. Still good luck to granemore who had a good start and built on it. But with the ogs having a relatively young team and with ronan clarke, mark cullen, sean moore scoring forwards to come back they will push on next year.

Cross let their guard down a bit against the Harps who wer very poor for most of the game until injury time when they plundered 2 goals. it is probably a wake up call for cross who will no doubt be glad to have seen the Ogs defeated. Well done Cross aka Benny per your comments.

The Nab were unlucky and i believe one of Dromintees goals should not have stood. The last 5 minutes beat the Nab with Dtees experience showing through

Have to say the referee in the Cross game was very poor with poor key decisions.

Scarface

"hughes and toner had a great battle at midfield with toner only really coming into it late on."

This is simply not true - Toner was excellent from start to finish....Ogs had no answer to him.

fitzroyalty

Quote from: Scarface on September 06, 2010, 10:46:56 AM
"hughes and toner had a great battle at midfield with toner only really coming into it late on."

This is simply not true - Toner was excellent from start to finish....Ogs had no answer to him.
Correct. Toner bossed midfield. McClelland was excellent aswell considering his circumstances.

Can't see past Cross regaining their title. I think the biggest threat will come from Cullyhanna if they overcome Maghery. Think they'll relish a good go at Cross. Dromintee will no doubt choke if they get to the final. Granemore were impressive though that was against a poor Ogs side, so its hard to judge them. Their forwards are unreal though and will cause any team problems.

lolafrola

Quote from: fitzroyalty on September 06, 2010, 01:22:21 PM

Correct. Toner bossed midfield. McClelland was excellent aswell considering his circumstances.

Can't see past Cross regaining their title. I think the biggest threat will come from Cullyhanna if they overcome Maghery. Think they'll relish a good go at Cross. Dromintee will no doubt choke if they get to the final. Granemore were impressive though that was against a poor Ogs side, so its hard to judge them. Their forwards are unreal though and will cause any team problems.

I don't know about that Fitzie, Dromintee and St Pats will fancy their chances against Cross. After the Og's beating Cross last year a few teams would have a bit more beliefe now, Dromintee are vastly experienced and i think they could be the surprise winners this year. St Pats are 2-3 players short of a good team.
Be nice to the people you meet on the way up, because you may meet them on the way back down.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: lolafrola on September 06, 2010, 02:32:21 PM

I don't know about that Fitzie, Dromintee and St Pats will fancy their chances against Cross. After the Og's beating Cross last year a few teams would have a bit more beliefe now, Dromintee are vastly experienced and i think they could be the surprise winners this year. St Pats are 2-3 players short of a good team.

Would agree there about Dromintee, I reckon it is there's to lose this year.  It is set up for them as Cross are not as strong as they have been, St Pat's/Maghery I just think are a small bit short.  Granemore though could be the winners as there is nothing expected of them.  the thing is though can they cope with the tag of the team that beat the Ogs?  How will Dromintee deal with the "champions elect" label that they will no doubt pick up?

pearseog

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 06, 2010, 03:03:14 PM

Would agree there about Dromintee, I reckon it is there's to lose this year.  It is set up for them as Cross are not as strong as they have been, St Pat's/Maghery I just think are a small bit short.  Granemore though could be the winners as there is nothing expected of them.  the thing is though can they cope with the tag of the team that beat the Ogs?  How will Dromintee deal with the "champions elect" label that they will no doubt pick up?

WUM  :D :D

fitzroyalty

Bcb trying to be cute I see  ;)
Well maybe if its a different Dromintee team from the one I saw at the weekend youse are on about ya's might be right, otherwise Cross haven't much to fear. Dromintee on paper might be better than Cullyhanna but I think Pats are starting to peak at the right time and unlike Dromintee won't have psychological issues when it comes to playing cross.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: fitzroyalty on September 06, 2010, 03:15:15 PM
Bcb trying to be cute I see  ;)
Well maybe if its a different Dromintee team from the one I saw at the weekend youse are on about ya's might be right, otherwise Cross haven't much to fear. Dromintee on paper might be better than Cullyhanna but I think Pats are starting to peak at the right time and unlike Dromintee won't have psychological issues when it comes to playing cross.

Not even my wife would ever describe me as cute :P  I just seen this as a great chance for Dromintee.  Whether people see me as a WUM or not is immaterial to me.  I call it as I see it, last year I called a 3 point win for the Ogs and I was right, this year I reckon it is Dromintees championship, at last , if they can keep their heads.

shawshank

That was a real turn up for the books, with the Ogs getting beaten, didn't expect that. Cross cant have gone back that far as for them not to be favourites, especially with their record.

Sam of the Sarsfields

What are you smoking!? Who, other than you just there now, is labelling Dromintee as "champions elect"?

Dromintee are decent and I've no doubt you believe they pose a threat which explains your outlandish statements trying to tag them as favourites but I think their best chance to win the championship has been and gone.

The bookies will seriously disagree with you anyway. Cross were 4/9 before the weekend and I'd expect them to be in and around 2/7 now at best with Ogs gone. It's Cross' championship to lose.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Sam of the Sarsfields on September 06, 2010, 04:16:01 PM

What are you smoking!? Who, other than you just there now, is labelling Dromintee as "champions elect"?

Dromintee are decent and I've no doubt you believe they pose a threat which explains your outlandish statements trying to tag them as favourites but I think their best chance to win the championship has been and gone.

The bookies will seriously disagree with you anyway. Cross were 4/9 before the weekend and I'd expect them to be in and around 2/7 now at best with Ogs gone. It's Cross' championship to lose.

I don't know Sam, bookies badly wrong last year so they can be wrong again.  Cross obviously will be tough to beat but I have a feeling in my bones and it is not from all the rain today ;)