Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

ACL Division 1 St Patrick's 2-8 Killeavy 0-14

St Pat's and Killeavy met at High Noon on Sunday in entirely different circumstances to their last clash. Then it was Cullyhanna who were rooted to the bottom of the league but an excellent run of form since has eased relegation worries and on Sunday afternoon Killeavy were particularly desperate for 2 points to keep in touch with the sides immediately above them. Spectators travelled from far and wide for this fixture but John Feighan's trip from California, USA was a journey unlikely to be paralleled. The away side managed the opening point however Cullyhanna replied in emphatic fashion with a Mal Mackin goal and points from Eugene Casey and Micky Murray. Establishing a four point lead was only to signal a period of Killeavy dominance as they kicked 5 points without reply to take the lead. An excellent Robbie Tasker chipped score after a good pass from Eoin McArdle levelled matters however 2 late Killeavy points gave the visitors the half-time lead on a scoreline of 0-8 to 1-3.

The concession of two needless frees allowed Killeavy to further extend their advantage early in the second half before a somewhat ponderous Cullyhanna attack ended with Ciaran McKeever in possession who obliged with an excellent point. McKeever continued to be closely involved in matters as his searching ball forward was seized on by Robbie Tasker who dispatched a magnificent shot to the net to draw the sides level. Another excellent Robbie Tasker point put Cullyhanna in the lead before Killeavy kicked two scores to regain the lead. The visitors would have been further in front were it not for a superb point blank save from Deaglan McArdle. St Pat's rallied with an attack which resulted with Eugene Casey retaining possession in the corner of the pitch and working the ball to Ciaran McKeever who kicked a very good point to equalise. Two well taken points from Eugene Casey put the home side 2 in front but Killeavy were not to be denied and two excellent late points pulled them level. With only a minute remaining, Mal Mackin made a magnificent catch in the middle of the field and was felled in full flight however when the difficult resulting free drifted wide, the match was destined to end in a draw. The game finished level on a scoreline of St Patrick's 2-8 Killeavy 0-14.

While the point gained was useful, this was far from a vintage St Pat's performance and improvement will be needed if progress is to be made in the championship next Sunday afternoon in Abbey Park.

St Patrick's II 2-10 Killeavy 1-11

Having been well beaten by the same opposition earlier in the season, expectations were low heading into this fixture, however the Seconds side confounded any critics with their best display of the season to secure a magnificent victory. The Cullyhanna men powered out of the blocks with a superb opening quarter as Paudie Mackin's domination at midfield laid the foundation for an excellent spell in which St Pat's scored 2-4 without reply, including goals from Cathal McGlade and Brendan Nugent. As expected, Killeavy fought back before the break but Cullyhanna still led 2-4 to 1-4 at half-time. The second half was a nip and tuck affair however Cullyhanna just about did enough to keep their lead, aided an excellent cameo from second half substitute Brendan Murray who scored 2 points to secure an excellent win. Final Score: St Patrick's II 2-10 Killeavy II 1-11
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ogshead

Quote from: lurganblue on August 08, 2010, 09:48:00 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 08, 2010, 08:56:17 PM
Well done clans. Must be while since the B champ went to the north? Always seemed to be mid or south teams winnin it?

1990 since the clans won it. Long time. Would be sure about the rest. Did maghery win it 2 years ago?

Well done Clans... played well but I thought the Ogs done their bit for a good final!! Paudie Hughes ruined it though but I know that wouldn't surprise most people.

lurganblue

I thought his foot block penalty decision was awful but apart from that I thought he did ok. I don't think that decision changed the match.

ogshead

Quote from: lurganblue on August 09, 2010, 12:10:05 AM
I thought his foot block penalty decision was awful but apart from that I thought he did ok. I don't think that decision changed the match.

Na your right, the Clans were playing well up until that but he did make a bad call for the first penalty and for a free just before that as well... but sure these things happen!!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 08, 2010, 09:49:24 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on August 08, 2010, 09:48:00 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 08, 2010, 08:56:17 PM
Well done clans. Must be while since the B champ went to the north? Always seemed to be mid or south teams winnin it?

1990 since the clans won it. Long time. Would be sure about the rest. Did maghery win it 2 years ago?

3 years ago I think.

I've a feeling Tir na nOg won an All County 'B' Title in the mid 1990s? I recall it because Marty Breen - ex St Pats College man - was playing!! 

lurganblue

Must admit I didn't have a great view of the first penalty. It looked a push from where I was but I couldn't tell if that was inside or not

fitzroyalty

Quote from: lurganblue on August 09, 2010, 12:23:24 AM
Must admit I didn't have a great view of the first penalty. It looked a push from where I was but I couldn't tell if that was inside or not
Definitely inside. The other foot-block penalty was harsh. That said I think we were the better team throughout and would have won anyway.

JimStynes

Will the Clans be putting forward their manager for the armagh senior job. They only won that b championship because of him. Correct saan

orange2009

Videos as Cullaville hit three goals to defeat Madden in the Intermediate Championship

http://armagh-gaa.com/Orchard-TV/News/VIDEO---Cullaville-3-11-Madden-1-11.aspx

el_cuervo_fc

Quote from: fitzroyalty on August 09, 2010, 09:25:30 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on August 09, 2010, 12:23:24 AM
Definitely inside. The other foot-block penalty was harsh. That said I think we were the better team throughout and would have won anyway.

I would disagree.  The foul was committed outside but the momentum carried the player inside.  The foot block penalty was just ludicrous.

The 2 penalties killed whatever game it could have ended in.  But then again, we had a couple of goal chances but never took them.

It was a free flowing game that was heading towards an exciting finale before the penalty incidents.

Fair play to Clans though.  They deserved their win.

IVEDECIDED

I think the two pens had a huge impact on the game given the times they occured. The first one was but the second one was very harsh. Having siad that I think the second one was much less relevant as the Clans were very dominant all over the pitch in the second half and didnt really need the penalty.

Fiar play to Ogs they played in the right spirit and played till the end. Clans just seemed to win all the small battles all over the field and definitley deserved their win considering they also shot an amazing amount of wides!

winsamsoon

Well done to the clans lads.

I thought Paudie Hughes actually had a decent enough game . When i saw him in the middle at the start i was expecting a stop start game. But i think he let most things go smoothly enough. The first pen was a brick wall and the second was a bit dubious as the lad went to block the ball and it more or less hit him on the leg rather than a foot block. He gave a few dodgy ones to both teams which resulted in scores but overall he was better than i expected. Clans overall were solid and deserved the victory. Og's No 12 o'Kane was very accurate from the dead ball.

2007 Maghery won it
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

gaapunter

Quote from: JimStynes on August 09, 2010, 10:23:15 AM
Will the Clans be putting forward their manager for the armagh senior job. They only won that b championship because of him. Correct saan

Could all happen Jim but I hear from inside the club the assistant manager was the brains behind the set up

ogshead

Quote from: gaapunter on August 09, 2010, 10:22:31 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 09, 2010, 10:23:15 AM

Could all happen Jim but I hear from inside the club the assistant manager was the brians behind the set up

I don't know if their assistant manager is called Brian or not but I do know that assistant managers in general are always the brains behind the set up. The main man is nearly always a bluffer  :P

the scenic route

Any word of Tir Na Nog, Peters game last night.
Or draw for intermediate semi final???
"Underneath that thin veneer of human civilisation, we're all just a bunch of fu*king animals"