Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Madden beat Tones in the IFC...

crossfire

Division 1

Cross beat Ogs 1-14 to 0-9.

8 of Ogs scores came from frees, most of them courtesy of Gary Smith.

TacadoirArdMhacha

St Patrick's 3-13 Clan na Gael 0-11

Superb second half performance from St Pat's as we ran out comfortable winner. It was very tight at half time, we lead 2-4 to 0-9 but Clans threw in the towel very early in the second half. Mal Mackin was the star of the show scoring 1-4 from play and laying on the other 2 goals. Steffan Campbell was excellent for Clans in the first half as well.

Brilliant result, our best performance of the year by quite some distance but it'll count for nothing at Abbey Park in 3 weeks time.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Armagh Cúchulainns

Decided to take in the IFC double header in Pearse Og Park today

Sarsfields 1-10 v Shane O Neills 0-11:

Not a great match from neutral view with both sets of forwards missing some easy chances, the easier misses coming from shanes and i feel that had 2 scores gone over at crucial stages in the game Shanes could have sneaked it in the second half but hard luck.

Keady 0-9 Ballyhegan 0-5:

This made tthe first match look good, no scores until 13mins into the game, pretty even in the first half finishing 0-4 to 0-3. Keady started the better team in the second half but the dismissal of 3 ballyhegan players
1 for 2nd yellow for pulling off ball,
2  was straight red for mouthing at a penalty decision (wrong decision on the pen imo),
3 for 2 yellows for mouthing.
All in all had the men stayed on the field Ballyhegan i still feel Keady would have seen them off.

Word to Pearse Ogs on their set up with a great looking surface for both games.
Its all about the Hurling.

ardchieftain

The referee was poor today in the davitts v ceide game but the hungrier team won. Ballyhegan just didn't turn up. It was a terrible game to watch

TacadoirArdMhacha

ACL Division 1: St Patrick's 3-13 Clan na Gael 0-11

St Patrick's travelled to Lurgan on Sunday afternoon full of confidence after recent results but mindful that away fixtures in Lurgan have rarely been fruitful ventures for Cullyhanna over the decades. Due to Clan na Gael's redevelopment works they were forced to cede home advantage with the match being played at Pairc Clann Eireann. Cullyhanna raced out of the traps in the early stages like a thoroughbred greyhound as Gary McCooey caught the ball from the thrown in, burst through the Clan na Gael defence, played a constructive "one-two" before slipping the ball to Mal Mackin who slotted to the net on his return to the side. Despite suffering that early thunderbolt, Clans regrouped and slowly worked their way level with 3 points in a row before a well-taken Gary McCooey point after a short 45m kick put St Pat's back in the lead. The sides exchanged points before Mal Mackin robbed the Clans goalkeeper of possession and passed to Kieran O'Neill who found the net for a second St Pat's goal. A brilliant Eugene Casey point put St Pat's 5 ahead but the final 10 minutes of the half saw Clan na Gael dominate as they managed 5 unanswered points to draw level. St Pat's regained the lead just before half time as a typically purposeful run from midfield by Gary McCooey resulted in a point to leave Cullyhanna ahead at half-time on a scoreline of 2-4 to 0-9.

The second half was only seconds old when the Lurgan men levelled again however that was to prove the sole highlight of a wretched second half for Clans as Cullyhanna took control around the middle of the field and put together some excellent phases of football. A Eugene Casey pointed free initiated this period of domination while Kieran O'Neill put his side two ahead. With the game firmly in the balance, Mal Mackin stamped his authority on proceedings with four superb points. While no doubt Mal would be the first to acknowledge the quality of ball provided by his team-mates, particularly Shane McKeever and Barry McConville, the county man deserved immense credit for the manner in which the opportunities were dispatched over the bar. The match was over as a contest soon after when Mal Mackin expertly found Tony Donnelly who rattled the Clan na Gael net for the third time. The match petered out with Shane McKeever, Tony Donnelly and Robbie Tasker all adding point before the finish as St Pat's finished convincing winners by 3-13 to 0-11.

It would be no exaggeration to say that this was St Pat's best performance of the season by quite some distance. While a tally of 3-13 is evidence enough of some fine forward play, the foundations for the superb second half performance were laid by an improved defensive formation which stifled the threat posed by Clans in the first period. Niall McShane in particular was excellent in the sweeper role while Gary McCooey was a constant threat from midfield. However, as pleasing a result as this was, the players and management will be well aware that this game will count for absolutely nothing when St Pat's meet the same opponents in Abbey Park in 3 weeks time for the first round of the Senior Championship.

Division 4: St Patrick's 3-9 Corrinshego 0-8

The Division 4 team got back to winning ways on Sunday afternoon with a good victory over Corrinshego. In an entertaining and hard-hitting first half, the sides were fairly evenly matched but two goals, one from Brendan Murray and another from Brendan Nugent on the stroke of half-time gave Cullyhanna a 2-4 to 0-7 half-time lead. In the second period St Pat's dominated proceedings as they got to grips with a strong and physical Corrinshego challenge to run convincing victors with a Cahal McGlade penalty goal being the highlight of the second half. While this was another welcome win in itself, it also served as excellent preparation for St Patrick's II's debut in the Junior Championship against Belleek in Mullaghbán on Friday night.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

thewanderer

Quote from: crossfire on July 25, 2010, 04:12:04 PM
Division 1

and rightly so the frees where well justified, think cross got a few too.. Ogs missing a big core of their team but improved in the second half. If they had of taken their goal chance when 4 in it and two badly missed frees it could have been interesting. Cross played well in the first half with the breeze but it should be interesting later on in the year. Have to say i never heard as big a mouth or abuse coming from an inter-county manager as i heard yesterday. Cross will be hard to beat but and i think they should be very confident of reclaiming the fegan cup?

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Armagh Cúchulainns on July 25, 2010, 06:37:36 PM
Decided to take in the IFC double header in Pearse Og Park today

Sarsfields 1-10 v Shane O Neills 0-11:

Not a great match from neutral view with both sets of forwards missing some easy chances, the easier misses coming from shanes and i feel that had 2 scores gone over at crucial stages in the game Shanes could have sneaked it in the second half but hard luck.

Keady 0-9 Ballyhegan 0-5:

This made tthe first match look good, no scores until 13mins into the game, pretty even in the first half finishing 0-4 to 0-3. Keady started the better team in the second half but the dismissal of 3 ballyhegan players
1 for 2nd yellow for pulling off ball,
2  was straight red for mouthing at a penalty decision (wrong decision on the pen imo),
3 for 2 yellows for mouthing.
All in all had the men stayed on the field Ballyhegan i still feel Keady would have seen them off.

Word to Pearse Ogs on their set up with a great looking surface for both games.

Keady were definitely the better team, should have won by more only for some terrible wides particularly from early free kicks!

However, I don't think there was a real bad challenge in the game, & Ballyhegan received (I think!) 11 Yellow cards & 3 reds! Ref completely lost himself, forgetting that he'd given Paddy McKeever a second yellow, only to order him off after being told by the Keady players!

DuffleKing

Goats Do Shave

Stephen McKinley

- Don't think there was one yellow on the Keady side by the way (not that here should have been!)

Candyman

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on July 26, 2010, 09:37:28 AM
Stephen McKinley

- Don't think there was one yellow on the Keady side by the way (not that here should have been!)

Enough said.....

Harold Disgracey

When's the draw for the next round of the Intermediate championship?

AFS

Sarsfields v Keady
St Pauls v Silverbridge
St Peters v Tir na Nog
Culloville v Madden

DuffleKing

Quote from: Candyman on July 26, 2010, 10:21:37 AM
Quote from: Goats Do Shave on July 26, 2010, 09:37:28 AM
Stephen McKinley

Enough said.....

More than enough

Carbery

Quote from: thewanderer on July 26, 2010, 08:51:38 AM
Quote from: crossfire on July 25, 2010, 04:12:04 PM
Division 1

and rightly so the frees where well justified, think cross got a few too.. Ogs missing a big core of their team but improved in the second half. If they had of taken their goal chance when 4 in it and two badly missed frees it could have been interesting. Cross played well in the first half with the breeze but it should be interesting later on in the year. Have to say i never heard as big a mouth or abuse coming from an inter-county manager as i heard yesterday. Cross will be hard to beat but and i think they should be very confident of reclaiming the fegan cup?

Who was the inter-county manager?