Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Aidan O'Rourke is slow certainly too slow to play county level and he is carrying too much weight one has only to look at him. You say that no forward has got the better of him??? If you examine his game most of his good work is done going forward ie picking the precision ball not man marking a man out of the game. He was never renowned for his defensive qualities. He provided a good knowledge of the game and a coolness under pressure however he would no longer cut it at county level in my eyes.What does the rest of you think?
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

tackle

SimpleSimon

I think Aidan O'Rourke should definitely still be on the Armagh panel, he still has a lot to offer. Whether that is as cover for others or starting I'm not sure. The only problem is, would he settle for that?

illdecide

Quote from: winsamsoon on May 01, 2007, 12:26:13 AM
Aidan O'Rourke is slow certainly too slow to play county level and he is carrying too much weight one has only to look at him. You say that no forward has got the better of him??? If you examine his game most of his good work is done going forward ie picking the precision ball not man marking a man out of the game. He was never renowned for his defensive qualities. He provided a good knowledge of the game and a coolness under pressure however he would no longer cut it at county level in my eyes.What does the rest of you think?

Winsamsoon is correct, Aidan's best days are behind him. He's a stone overweight and the wrong side of 30. However, he will still be a very good club player for Dromintee for another year or two. He was also better at bombing forward than man marking and he was (and i am sure still is) very good and picking a man out with a killer pass but you Dromintee lads have to admit that to many birthdays and pies have got the better of him for intercounty football :D :D. And don't forget big Joe and Aidan are not the best of buddies anyway. Remember county final a few years ago and a few punches were landed on a member of the Kernan clan ;) ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ard mhaca abu

sure the o'rourkes wouldn't fight... :D

Aghdavoyle

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. AOR's biggest strength has always been his tackling, followed by his passing. The last games he played for armagh were the two ulster finals, all ireland quarter final and all ireland semi of 2005. in the three tyrone games he marked dooher out of it and he was mom in the 1/4 final against Laois playing centre half back.

Bensars

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on May 01, 2007, 10:31:33 AM

Looks like we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. AOR's biggest strength has always been his tackling, followed by his passing. The last games he played for armagh were the two ulster finals, all ireland quarter final and all ireland semi of 2005. in the three tyrone games he marked dooher out of it and he was mom in the 1/4 final against Laois playing centre half back.

in the three tyrone games he marked dooher out of it  ;D :D :D :D :D

Aghdavoyle

You didn't get to those games bensars. pity, they were good games...

Just read your "recent posts". you fairly make a contribution to every debate you get involved in  :o

Uladh

Previous performances can't be used to assess how anyone could perform at county football now. O'Rourke taking care of dooher 18 months ago doesn't mean he could do it now and i suspect county football no longer interests him. The poster who claimed that he was never noted for his defensive work hasn't seen many armagh games since 2000 as thats basically why he was in the team. mccann, hughes and laterly Kernan and Duffy are attacking wing backs whereas O'Rourke always had the defensive jobs on the likes of toye, dooher, cavlan, sheehan, etc. Obviously his passing was a great weapon for armagh during that time also. Oisin McConville, bumpy o'hagan and O'Rourke have consistently been the best club footballers in armagh over the last 5/6 years and in Dromintee's clashes with Cross over the last 5/6 years he has been consistently excellent.

charlie stubbs

i heard marty has never fought b4 ;D

Crossban

Jeez, forget i mentioned it. i simply said that going on sunday's performance against us AOR should still be playing for the county. calm down one and all!

Six Inch Nail

Aidan O'Rourke is still paying the price for a bad team performance against Fermanagh in 2004, where, in particular their wings forwards give us a roasting.  After that Joe straight away started looking for smaller, faster halfbacks (McKeever, Kernan, Duffy).  None of these boys can defend like O'Rourke, strong in the tackle and a great sence of where to be.  I think he should still be there.  Sean O'Sullivan bullied Paul Duffy out of it last year, he wouldn't have done that to O'Rourke.  Obviously his passing is sublime - remember the pass to McDonnell for the winning score in the All-Ireland final in 2002.
Silverbridge Harps GAC, Co. Armagh

Scarface

I think there is a risk here of overdoing a particular subject - the Aidan O'Rourke debate has been done to death - yes he is a good footballer and probably should at least be on the county squad but for whatever reason he is not - next subject please....

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: Scarface on May 01, 2007, 03:34:12 PM
he is a good footballer and probably should at least be on the county squad but for whatever reason he is not - next subject please....

ok....

Does Joe Kernan put his own family and club priorities above those of the county team?

full back

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on May 01, 2007, 03:38:25 PM
Quote from: Scarface on May 01, 2007, 03:34:12 PM
he is a good footballer and probably should at least be on the county squad but for whatever reason he is not - next subject please....

ok....

Does Joe Kernan put his own family and club priorities above those of the county team?

Catch a f**king grip of yourself.
We are from Dromintee and no one likes us attitude doesnt wash anymore