Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Final Whistle

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 17, 2010, 01:58:14 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 17, 2010, 12:21:40 AM
If somebody had accused you or one of your close friends or family of smashing a young fella's face to bits, would you not want to know who they were?

If someone smashed a young fella's face to bits would you not want to know who they were?

with all the eyes of the gaaboard on this thread plus quite a few lurkers trying to scavange information, Dougal should have kept his mouth closed until he got the confirmation on the name. Although he withdrew it almost immediately it was naive and wreckless to name the person you did without clarification or confirmation. Surely it cant be too hard to find out who the number 19 was, not that I think he should be named on here. If it was not from behind I would not condemn, but it was and its a dirty act.

thewanderer

ogs defeated cruppin last nite 2/15 to 1/9 in cruppin. this was a good display by the ogs after trailing to an early goal. good to see g barton and mc coy return from long term injuries. the managers decision to try new players has helped the team improve greatly and is given more competition for the championship a head. still 7/8 of the county final team missing last nite including mallon, p duffy, davidson, a duffy, mc manus, r clarke, j j clarke,  dougan, mc ginley. a good result considering this, interesting to see ferris playing for cruppin he must have left the armagh panel? in relation to the nugent incident, i see cullaville have stated that the incident occurred during a melee involving various players, is this correct or are they running for cover? hope young kevin gets well soon, a good lad and so is his father brian a true gael.

crossfire

Best wishes to Kevin.
I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Final Whistle

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 17, 2010, 09:18:06 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on June 17, 2010, 08:04:11 AM
If somebody had accused you or one of your close friends or family of smashing a young fella's face to bits, would you not want to know who they were?

If someone smashed a young fella's face to bits would you not want to know who they were?

Of course. What's your point?

My point is that the issue of the identity of the culprit must surely be more important than trying to discover the identity of someone who named a person in the wrong and then apologised several times for doing so.

Dougal i think you might be safer keeping stum. There seems to be fear in your recent posts. Say nothing more on the subject and hopefully for you own sake the limelight shifts from yourself back onto the cowardly act that took place on the field.

thewanderer

Dougal i wouldnt worry about it, the name of the thug is common knowledge now. to be honest he must be a real coward as he wouldnt face too many on the pitch one to one. culloville should do the decent thing and name the culprit to the county board and suspend him from their club. theres no justification for this thuggery. there committee needs to show leadership.

winsamsoon

Dougal bottom line here is thay you shouldn't have named any names until you were absolutely 100% certain . The severity of this incident and the repercussions ie law wise are far reaching so it wasn't a wise choice going on hearsay. I know it is a case of mistaken identity which is acceptable in the case of saying the wrong man was sent off or something but this very board could be possibly used as evidence if the police think worthy.

Having said that i think this lad should be named and shamed especially if Culloville and the county board are not going to do all within their power to sort this issue(which they may do). But i think for now we all have to let the county board, culloville and the police deal with the incident and try to refrain as much from playing the guessing game regarding proceedings.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

mackers

Best wishes to young Nugent, horrific injuries. Hope he's back playing soon.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

IVEDECIDED

That said, Dougal has apologised and withdrawn the comments so that should be an end to it. The incident only highlights the dangers of websites such as this though. And again, its worth emphasising that whatever the rights and wrongs of anything discussed on here, the most important issue is the wellbeing of Kevin Nugent.

We live in the North if Ireland not North Korea. This is a public opinion forum within a democracy it shouldnt be dangerous or restrained in any way. Freedom of speech and all that. Of course people do nee to be sensible and sympathetic about things but everytime someone says something controversial (Usually me) people crack up and suggest they are thrown off the board. If you dont agree with something thats fine - say so - but realise its only someone elses opinion. (And he may well only be saying it to cause a debate... ;))

IVEDECIDED

Quote from: Final Whistle on June 17, 2010, 08:32:42 AM

with all the eyes of the gaaboard on this thread plus quite a few lurkers trying to scavange information, Dougal should have kept his mouth closed until he got the confirmation on the name. Although he withdrew it almost immediately it was naive and wreckless to name the person you did without clarification or confirmation. Surely it cant be too hard to find out who the number 19 was, not that I think he should be named on here. If it was not from behind I would not condemn, but it was and its a dirty act.

What????? Are you for real lad - if the lad was struck face to face you think this was ok???

Final Whistle

if he went toe to toe i dont see it classed as a complete dirty act.

IVEDECIDED

Dirty act or not lad this is completely unnacceptable!! If young nuggent had hit him first and was hit in retaliation by a better punch then fair dues - he brought it on himself and id have as much sympathy for the lad who done the damage as his only crime was to punch better.

However - this was unprovoked so it shouldnt matter where the punch came from. He was on a football pitch not in a boxing ring so he didnt have to have his guard up!! Its the easiest thing in the world to smack someone who isnt expecting it - any fool could do it! To do it causing this much damage....the lad deserves eveything he gets.

thewanderer

Quote from: Final Whistle on June 17, 2010, 11:53:38 AM
you clown it was a complete act of thuggery. now go to your club and get them to name and shame

Onion Bag

Lads it doesnt matter a f**k whether it was toe to toe, came in from the side, sneaky one from the back, who hit who 1st,

the lad is lying up in agony with severe facial injuries, club football in Armagh is now tarnished with a bad reputation which doesnt help

the person who done this needs to be punished, this cant go on in football, Culloville should be made an example of, Throw them out of the league, fine them, and ban the culprit for life,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

mackers

Quote from: thewanderer on June 17, 2010, 12:00:34 PM
you clown it was a complete act of thuggery. now go to your club and get them to name and shame
Why would he do that, he's not from Culloville.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Final Whistle

Quote from: thewanderer on June 17, 2010, 12:00:34 PM

??? ??? Ok wanderer, I'll go to MY club in a different county and ask them who did it! Where do you think i hail from?? I understand it was a dirty act, he hit him from behind. What i'm saying is if the injuries sustained by Nugent were of the result of a toe to toe smigging match then it would not be categorised as a dirty act. Simple as.