Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Yes BC1 i agree to a certain extent but me and you have clashed before on the field and there have been a few punches thrown but in all fairness was the venom in the punches (i think not). If a lad hit me on the pitch I'd give it back but to an extend where it's just a stinger and wouldn't cause damage (just enough to let him know he'll not get away with hitting me). This lad from Cullaville had obviously been setting this hit up and had thought this thru (waiting on the play to be elsewhere) and he obviously hit the lad with everything he had to cause that damage. To me there is a difference there, I've hit many a people on the pitch (retaliation) but I've never ever had it in my head to cause damage or hit someone with everything i have to do that damage.

If the lad that was guilty of the punch owned up and done the right thing and handed himself in at least it would show some remorse and would benefit both club and himself (may also reduce the punishment, if any)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JUst retired

The number of the player is now known and it appears he had just come on as a sub. Would this suggest it was accidental? I think not.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on June 16, 2010, 11:34:39 AM
Yes BC1 i agree to a certain extent but me and you have clashed before on the field and there have been a few punches thrown but in all fairness was the venom in the punches (i think not). If a lad hit me on the pitch I'd give it back but to an extend where it's just a stinger and wouldn't cause damage (just enough to let him know he'll not get away with hitting me).

But that is exactly the point I am trying to make.  I came off the field the other day and thought to myself "why did I get involved in that?".  There was no real malice in what i did but I could just have easily broken his jaw.  I wouldn't class myself as a clean player, more of a mullocker really, but I never go out with the intention of wrecking some young lads jaw.  I don't know if  if the lad from culloville went on the pitch with a specific intention to break Kevin Nugent's jaw but in a split second he made the decision to give the punch that extra bit that did the damage.  When I drew out and struck the lad last week I could have given it another 10% and broken his jaw.  That is the difference between me and the lad that hit Nugent and I think that the underlying acceptance in our games of the "fair dig" has allowed the situation where behaviour like happened in Maghery can occur.

IVEDECIDED

In all fairness I dont think we are talking about one dig here - read the injuries the lad has sustained, there is no way one punch did all that. I suspect there may well have been a boot involved.

bennydorano

I hope the Cullaville man gets cleaned in court, it's the only way boys & clubs like that are going to learn, a slap on the wrist form the County board does f**k all.

illdecide

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on June 16, 2010, 12:22:12 PM
In all fairness I dont think we are talking about one dig here - read the injuries the lad has sustained, there is no way one punch did all that. I suspect there may well have been a boot involved.

you stop making stuff up that you don't know, there was a maghery lad on here stating it was a punch. If he'd have been kicked then he would have said he was kicked...if you hit someone hard enough and catch him in the right place you could certainly cause that damage with one punch

IVEDECIDED

Bollocks! One punch broke a lads jaw, cheekbone, dislodged his lower jaw, smashed out all his lower teeth and tore his entire gum such that he cant eat solid foods for 4 months!! Wise up man!! Of course it wasnt a single blow...

IVEDECIDED

Sorry and a broken chin too! f**k me lads if that was one punch then im Mickey f**king mouse!!

IVEDECIDED

Ive just thought about that and it would be physically impossible to acvhieve all that damage with one punch especially one that is supposed to have come from behind. If people believe it can then its worse than the magic bullet theory!!

Ill give my opinion on such injuries - before I do im stressing its the opinion of someone who wasnt there and doesnt know all the facts before some of the tits here get their knickers in a twist.

To sustain those injuries I believe the lad was hit and as he fell was caught square with a boot. Its the only way I see these injuries occuring.

To you illdecide - ill let you line me up and give you three square on punches to my face and I bet you couldnt do the damage that was done to this lad. (Although no doubt you would enjoy it)

One punch my hole!!

nrico2006

Unless Mike Tyson was the perpetrator, I doubt it was one punch. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

winsamsoon

BC i would agree with you about the fair dig culture that has been accepted over the years in Gaelic games. In other sports it is a straight red card and at least a four week ban.

All this talk about a wee dig, a half dig a withdrawn dig etc is bollox. Truth be told if you hit someone  around the head when they unexpect it then you can do a lot of damage, irreagardless of the force. Young Nugent hasn't been expecting to be hit and he has probably been tracking back into position and this guy has lashed out at him from the side by the extent of his injuries. The report said he was knocked out so the damage could have been furthered by the fall.

This culture within our game has to be changed. We all witnessed the disturbing scenes that occured in the international rules games. The public outcry and reaction of the GAA was correct. ie Boycott unless the safety concerns of the players was met. No one should go out onto a sports field putting their lives at risk.. Especially lads that have to earn a living and raise their families. This incident should be dealt with by the same firm hand, ie the player in question should be banned for life from the sport, forwarded to the police and the club itself should come under scrutiny regarding discipline. If so the club would be heavily fined aswell as their discipline leaves a lot to be desired and that is only this year.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

nrico2006

On another note, can anyone confirm if there has been any additions to the Armagh Minor Panel?  I heard a young lad from Clann Eireann has been called up, McKavanagh?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

illdecide

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on June 16, 2010, 02:03:36 PM
Ive just thought about that and it would be physically impossible to acvhieve all that damage with one punch especially one that is supposed to have come from behind. If people believe it can then its worse than the magic bullet theory!!

Ill give my opinion on such injuries - before I do im stressing its the opinion of someone who wasnt there and doesnt know all the facts before some of the tits here get their knickers in a twist.

To sustain those injuries I believe the lad was hit and as he fell was caught square with a boot. Its the only way I see these injuries occuring.

To you illdecide - ill let you line me up and give you three square on punches to my face and I bet you couldnt do the damage that was done to this lad. (Although no doubt you would enjoy it)

One punch my hole!!

It would only take the wan saan ;) although it would need 3 to improve your looks :D

IVEDECIDED

I dont mind the dig for dig culture and I dont think our game needs to lose anymore of its physical nature (Its becoming like soccer!) However there is a line that the vast majority of people know and accept. Digging one another in the ribs or 'getting to know your marker' etc are all valuable traits in this game which is known worldwide for its physicality. This lad has gone way beyond that. What he did was nothing to do with the culture of our game. Not only was it against our games ethos it was against the law of the land. Something that has to be punished severely!

winsamsoon

Quote from: illdecide on June 16, 2010, 02:26:23 PM
Quote from: IVEDECIDED on June 16, 2010, 02:03:36 PM

One punch my hole!!

It would only take the wan saan ;) although it would need 3 to improve your looks :D

You keep it up and i'll have your face mangled in two lol
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.