Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: IVEDECIDED on June 15, 2010, 02:33:32 PM
Its also unsuprising that relative sympathy for this thug comes from a cullyhanna man. Yourselves and culloville should form MMA clubs instead of GAA clubs.

I would explain to you the point I'm trying to make but your record on this site suggests you lack the capacity to understand it.

Quote from: armaghniac on June 15, 2010, 03:02:10 PM
QuoteAll due respect but when a fella just out of minor has to be rushed to hospital for surgery it doesn't take a genius to figure out who was in the wrong.

A player could be hospitalised from a legal tackle or simple misfortune. John Toal is a good example.
If there was assault here then it needs to be dealt with, but you cannot conclude without having seen it.

Exactly. Indeed many of us would have attended a match where worse than hospitalisation occured through sheer accident.

What I have the problem with is people rushing to judgment without any facts other than gossip and hearsay. We've already seen some fairly vitrolic language used and a person named incorrectly. I've seen countless occasions on this thread where people make false and exaggerated claims about what they perceive as thuggery and I think its a fairly wise proposition that people should think very carefully before making wild and emotive statements on a public forum.

And most importantly, I wish the young fella whose been injured all the best and hope he recovers and is back playing football as soon as possible.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

winsamsoon

Ok then lets then say we don't know what happened ! ffs lets not . This was no accident i know the young lad involved and at most he would have been doing a bit of mouthing. f**k the playing it down craic throw the book at them
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

IVEDECIDED

Sorry I didnt realise we had records - could I please see mine from whoever keeps them?? Cheers.

Dont be a tit lad - I understand the need for calms heads in a heated situation untill all facts are known but we havent formed a group and were not on our way to the lads hose to murder him!

Its just harsh words on public forum about an atrocious incident. The lad hardly fell and broke his jaw and cheek and whatever else now did he?? And no matter what provocation (if any) preceeded the 'event' - these injuries cannot be justified anywhere in a normal society so to happen on a football field is completely unnacceptable.

centrefield

surely omeone must know the lad who did this? his name..rightly or wrongly should be in every paper throughout the county...last year mullaghbawn and tullysarren were thrown put of U21s for three years due to an incident which resulted in serious injury to a player as a result of a brawl...will similar action be taken here? i no for a fact that it wont because the county board are as spineless as the perpetrater of this incident they comdown heavy on underage events but fall to punish the senior members whom the underage players watch every week and a good few are involved in training the youngsters

JUst retired

As someone who was at the match, I can say with certainty that the player did not bring on the assault on himself. The facts are a free in was given to C/ville on the 45 mtr line and most people were watching for the free being taken. This includes the referee. The free was about 3 mtrs in from the sideline on the dugout side of the pitch. The incident happened on or about the 21 mtr. line on the bank side of the pitch. Anyone standing there would have had a good veiw of it. I was standing below the score board and therefore was looking up the pitch.I saw the player being hit but could not identify the culprit. Maghery as a club are well aware what happened last year, and as a club we took steps to ensure it never happen again. What happened on Sunday was not part of a game incident it was sheer thuggery. In fairness to C/ville they had a man sent off for 2 yellow cards( poor tackles) With about 2 mins to go no-one saw an ending like this. Kevin Nugent`s only crime was playing well and sweeping up in defence, someone didnt like it and dished out his own answer.I dont wish to try any club or player on the internet,and I think it will be dealt with at CCC level.I hope this post clears up any discussion as to what happened. As a member of Maghery I would like to thank all the poster`s for their good wishes towards Kevin and hope it won`t be too long until he is playing again.

Abble

dirty yellow tramps like this who think they're hard men by hitting someone from behind in this fashion need locking up. nugent will be in for a tough time of it both physically and mentally as there will now be court proceedings to go through and no doubt the cullaville club will be backing their man up to the hilt !

Onion Bag

This incident headlined the sport news this morning on Radio Ulster,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

JUst retired

I`m sorry to hear it made the news headlines as it brings the sport we all love into disrepute, as for court proceedings that is a decision him and the family will have to take. Scuffles and rucks are unfortunately part and parcel of physical sports, but that does not mean we have to accept this type of action. 40 years ago he would not have got away so easy with regard to some form of retribution Swimming lessons maybe  ;)

Onion Bag

Wish the lad the best of luck and speedy recovery, hopefully it wont set him back with regards confidence and his footballing ablilty

regal

Best wishes to Kevin Nugent and his family and clubmates. I hope his recovery goes well and we are watching him in an Armagh jersey in the very near future.

el_cuervo_fc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8743095.stm

Kevin Nugent recovering in hospital after attack

Kevin Nugent, one of the teenage stars of Armagh's All-Ireland winning team, is in hospital recovering from injuries sustained in a club game on Sunday.

Nugent underwent extensive surgery for injuries caused by the vicious assault during a Division One club game between Maghery and Cullaville.

The 19-year-old was knocked unconscious and suffered horrific facial damage.

Armagh's disciplinary authority, the CCC, is in the process of launching an investigation into the incident.

The attack, which occurred in the final moments of the game, caused damage which will prevent the teenager from chewing solid food for four months.

Nugent suffered a broken chin, broken jaw, split lower gum, and all his lower teeth were displaced and part of his lower jaw dislodged.

The CCC will seek to establish the facts surrounding the incident and quickly identify who was responsible.

Orior

I hope Kevin makes a full and speedy recovery.

It sounds like the culprit was a boxer and I hope Cullaville do the right thing.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

brokencrossbar1

They are savage injuries for any lad to suffer and it is not something you would do to someone in the heat of the moment.  there would need to be real venom in that kind of hit.  Things like that make me wonder about how I personally play the game.  I have always played on the edge and have never held back in playing it hard and have had the same back.  I played a game last week where a lad was puling and hauling at me the whole game and he hit me a sly dig in the guts.  I lashed out and knocked him with a punch on the cheek.  We were both wrong but I could easily have broken the lads cheekbone.  I went into the changing room after the game as I am captain of the team and wished them all the best in the next round as they had beaten us in championship.  I mentioned the incident in the changing room and said that these things can sometimes happen and if you give it you have to take it but that when we leave the pitch it is over.  I got a good few 'here here's from the players and myself and your man shook hands. 

My point is that in different circumstances the lads jaw was broken and I was no different than the lad from Culloville whether I meant it or not.  There was an "acceptance" that me and your man had a fair dig at each other but if it was a sneaky dig from behind I would have been rightly villified.  This is a problem that needs to be addressed, the latent acceptance of a cetain level of violence that runs through the sport, the "fair dig" mentality.  It spills into injuries that happened to the young Nugent lad sometimes.  I think there has to be a sea change in how the games are coached and how managers push the "win at all cost" mentality.  It is correct to be competitive but the game inmy view is in a bad place at the minute and there is need to bring it out of there.

Onion Bag

GR8 post BC, agree with every word

el_cuervo_fc

it is what is known as a section 47 offence. Triable either way in the magistrates' court or the crown court. If in the mag court max sentence 12 months plus fine. If in the crown court 7 years plus fine.

Could be prosecuted with gbh same sentencing.

Case of Moss in 2000 where offender punched an opponent in face during a rugby game fracturing his eye socket. Got 8 months.