Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

My memory may be palying tricks on me here but if I remember right the Geraldines were actually a break away club from Carrickcruppen in the Eighties who played at Junior level.  They were only in existence for about 7-8 years and the amalgamted again once the row was sorted out. 

A similar thing happened in Cross around that time with the Cross Red Hands being re-established circa 1985 by a few disgruntled senior players who also played soccer and the club would not allow both.

Spiritof98

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 25, 2007, 04:28:59 PM
My memory may be palying tricks on me here but if I remember right the Geraldines were actually a break away club from Carrickcruppen in the Eighties who played at Junior level.  They were only in existence for about 7-8 years and the amalgamted again once the row was sorted out. 

A similar thing happened in Cross around that time with the Cross Red Hands being re-established circa 1985 by a few disgruntled senior players who also played soccer and the club would not allow both.

Never knew that, but just a note, another prody type name
I'll go back if Marsdens back

bennydorano

Correcto, I remember Geraldines playing.  There's been a few teams that have disappeared, I'd wager that there aren't too many on this board who remember a team called Naomh Brid playing football in the Armagh ACL and junior championship?!

brokencrossbar1

The club was originally affiliated with the GAA in 1887 as the Crossmaglen Red Hands, as in the the O'Neill's who had a stronghold behind my house and changed to the Rangers a number of years later.  Nothing Prody about that.  

Benny the names rings a bell with me.  Were they an Armagh city team?

laughinpaddy

There is a Camogie Club in the City that go by that name, but not to sure if there was a football club as well.
I ain't gettin on no plane!

john mcgill

Played against St Brigid's in the early 80's in the Madden tournament.  I was just home from the US having played with Pearse Ogs on their US tour.

bennydorano

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 25, 2007, 05:09:41 PM
The club was originally affiliated with the GAA in 1887 as the Crossmaglen Red Hands, as in the the O'Neill's who had a stronghold behind my house and changed to the Rangers a number of years later.  Nothing Prody about that.  

Benny the names rings a bell with me.  Were they an Armagh city team?

They were indeed, seemed to come out of the Windmill/Callan street area which would be mostly Ogs territory, although they had a mix of city boys in their ranks.  They went out of existence because they couldn't pay county board dues of £1,400 odd.  Sure the Harps and Ogs were heartbroken..not.

Armagh Exile

How did St Pat's do against Newtown and Belleeks against Shane O'Neills or did these games take place this evening?

rolloutking

Where did you get your profile image Spirit. Is that you in the Mac Rory final there?

Goats Do Shave

My uncle was their manager for a while. I remember them playing Ballyhegan years ago. They played in maroon? or maybe my head is making these memories up!!  :P  :o

Must ask him at the week end & confirm your theories!

lurganblue

Quote from: rolloutking on April 26, 2007, 12:08:34 AM
Where did you get your profile image Spirit. Is that you in the Mac Rory final there?

is that not raffo?

Spiritof98

Quote from: lurganblue on April 26, 2007, 08:48:14 AM
Quote from: rolloutking on April 26, 2007, 12:08:34 AM

is that not raffo?

Definately Raffo, Full back never took my fancy, looks a bit Slim for me! ;)
I'll go back if Marsdens back

ard mhaca abu

st pats beat newtown by 4 points last night

naka

The geraldines were not a breakaway, at the time Cruppen around 83/84 were not allowed a second team(cross amongst others  objected ) in the league and the forming of Bessbrook Geraldines( a team that played around the 30s in Armagh )was the only way forward.They played in cruppens colours and at their pitch winning the 4th division and junior championship,they were disbanded when it became apparent that more people in the club wanted to play for the geraldines than the senior team.

lurganblue

lads how do you get to pearse ogs new pitch in ballycrummy?
is it out the cathedral road?