Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davo

took in the mullabawn v ogs game. ogs won by 4. 1 11 to 0 10. ogs were missing alot of players. good result which puts them top

winsamsoon

Quote from: centrefield on May 09, 2010, 09:00:34 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 05, 2010, 06:32:01 PM
Just organise a few training sessions beforehand and I'd say it sorts itself out. Wouldn't have thought that side would have a huge pick altogether anyway.

couldnt be further from the truth, they had a panel of almost 40, 18/19 lads on the bench, how these teams were allowed to amalgimate makes a joke of the county board and a joke of the competition...the whole idea of giving boys the opourtunity to play U21 football is all a fraud!
my thoughts exactly, some of the teams they are forming are too strong and are made up of 30+ players. This is a contradiction of the argument they use saying they want to give people football as there are 15 not getting any football. I realize there are teams that do need help fielding teams but theses almalgalmations are not the answer IMO
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

true

hear theres a bit of discontent in the Tones camp already poor turnouts at training, Manager not happy!!  any insights.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Benny Barnaveld on May 07, 2010, 09:24:18 PM
ACL Division 2

St Peter's Lurgan      0-10     Ballyhegan   0-14

McGrane still reeling back the years, MOTM by a mile. Ballhegan's first win/points this season

I think they're getting the points from the Keady game also.
McGrane has been in excellent form. In truth the scoreline flatters St Peters. The seemed to score from each attack they had.

thewanderer

Ogs proving that their squad has improved greatly this year with two hard earned victories at the weekend. 9 regulars missing against mullabawn last nite r.clarke,a.mallon,p.duffy,a.duffy,g.barton,g.mccoy,d.mcmanus,r.clarke & c. clarke who made a cameo apperance after his long term injury. jp was immense in new full-back roll and d.d, rafferty and hughes proved their experience. good chance for fringe players to get much needed game time.

thewanderer

mojo & afs if yous had checked the OFFICAL armagh web site on saturday all fridays results and updated tables where there. >:(

illdecide

Quote from: thewanderer on May 10, 2010, 08:41:36 AM
Ogs proving that their squad has improved greatly this year with two hard earned victories at the weekend. 9 regulars missing against mullabawn last nite r.clarke,a.mallon,p.duffy,a.duffy,g.barton,g.mccoy,d.mcmanus,r.clarke & c. clarke who made a cameo apperance after his long term injury. jp was immense in new full-back roll and d.d, rafferty and hughes proved their experience. good chance for fringe players to get much needed game time.

Well if recent displays are anything to go by you can send your minor team to Lurgan on Friday night :-[
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

AFS

Quote from: thewanderer on May 10, 2010, 08:44:18 AM
mojo & afs if yous had checked the OFFICAL armagh web site on saturday all fridays results and updated tables where there. >:(

Eh?

centrefield

Quote from: winsamsoon on May 09, 2010, 11:48:14 PM
Quote from: centrefield on May 09, 2010, 09:00:34 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 05, 2010, 06:32:01 PM
Just organise a few training sessions beforehand and I'd say it sorts itself out. Wouldn't have thought that side would have a huge pick altogether anyway.

couldnt be further from the truth, they had a panel of almost 40, 18/19 lads on the bench, how these teams were allowed to amalgimate makes a joke of the county board and a joke of the competition...the whole idea of giving boys the opourtunity to play U21 football is all a fraud!
my thoughts exactly, some of the teams they are forming are too strong and are made up of 30+ players. This is a contradiction of the argument they use saying they want to give people football as there are 15 not getting any football. I realize there are teams that do need help fielding teams but theses almalgalmations are not the answer IMO

exactly, atleast one if not two out of these three teams could have fielded a team in my opinion and to allow them to amalgamate is something of a joke however has the final word in such matters needs to take a hard look at themselves.

pearseog

Quote from: illdecide on May 10, 2010, 09:56:27 AM
Quote from: thewanderer on May 10, 2010, 08:41:36 AM

Well if recent displays are anything to go by you can send your minor team to Lurgan on Friday night :-[
Good oul clanns playing down their chances!  :D
i remember this last year aswell. ended up 3rd in league with a c'ship semi was it? :D

winsamsoon

Championship quarter final and third in the league (but also 2 points from relegation) First league win last year came against the ogs though maybe this is an omen.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

thewanderer

we always like to help our good friends out ;) looks like once again the ogs will travel with an understrength squad to clans which should even it up.

illdecide

Quote from: thewanderer on May 11, 2010, 08:55:39 AM
we always like to help our good friends out ;) looks like once again the ogs will travel with an understrength squad to clans which should even it up.

what are friends for wanderer... ;) i think you'll be shocked on fri nite when you see the standard we're at but as you say we were in big trouble last year too and a win against yourselves turned our season around and hopefully it happens again but i just can't see it this time around ???
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

drici

Donegal hurlers can't rob the orchard as Armagh progress

Ulster Senior Hurling Championship
Donegal 1-12 Armagh 3-23

Published Date: 11 May 2010
By Alan Foley

Donegal hurlers bowed out of the Ulster Hurling Championship with a heavy defeat to Armagh in O'Donnell Pak on Saturday.
Although Andrew Wallace's side certainly didn't hold back in the Letterkenny sunshine, the intention for the season was always the Lory Meagher Cup, which throws in on June 6 when Longford provide the opposition. Saturday's loss doesn't really change that in any way, although aspects of the performance might.

Justin McGhee was given a second yellow before half-time and Donegal were forced to continue with only 14 men.

Had they had 15 available, then Armagh would probably have been too steep a mountain to climb, but being a man light for so made the task nigh on impossible.
Donegal made a fist of it for a spell after the break, before Colm Breathnach was also cautioned twice and he hit the showers on 63 minutes.

Thirteen was certainly unlucky for Donegal, who were already without Joe Boyle, sent off in Sligo and suspended, Aidan Begley, who was on a pre-arranged holiday, as well as Niall Campbell with a broken arm and Jamsie Donnelly.

When Donegal collided with Armagh in last year's championship, they led at one stage by six points before being on the receiving end of a 15-point loss, 3-24 to 2-12.

And during that fixture 12 months ago, Paul Breen put Donegal's hopes of a run in the Ulster championship to the sword with a starring role and a personal total of 1-10.

Yesterday in the Letterkenny sunshine, he had a similarly prosperous afternoon and by the end of the 70 minutes, his till reading stated a personal contribution of eight points, while Rory Gaffney posted a goal and five.

For Donegal, Kevin Campbell was the most profitable character in front of goal as the Setanta clubman chipped in with a goal and eight points, all from frees.

Armagh's start was the type of thing that would quash outsiders' ambitions before they ever got racing as Brian McNaughton scored the opening goal, taking down Paul McCormack's pass and getting the better of Donegal's returning goalkeeper Paul O'Brien, inside of two minutes.

Donegal's response was, though, commendable and they battled back to
edge into a one-point lead with Ciaran Mathewson and Danny Cullen
adding to Campbell's two frees.

Armagh soon began to reassert themselves and with the likes of Barry Breen, Fiachra Bradley, Rory Gaffney, Paul McCormack and McNaughton helping Paul Breen out in the scoring stakes.

When Justin McGhee made the lonely walk eight minutes before the break, the visitors were already 1-9 to 0-6 up, so in retrospect Donegal did commendably well not to let the roof fall in on them until the final stages.

Armagh, it must be noted, did work their bench quite early.
Donegal began to second half 1-14 to 0-7 down and staring down the barrel, especially so when Gaffney popped over a couple of well taken points. Wallace can take limited heart from the way in which his troops set about their daunting task.

Lee Henderson and Campbell's scores almost went unnoticed, but when the latter grabbed a goal on 56 minutes, there was a little more fire in Donegal's breath as an element of edginess set into Armagh's play, 1-19 to 1-12 up with margins lowering.

Campbell had seen a first half free on goal blocked on the line, but the second time, although his connection was not as clean and crisp, the sliotar scuttled low into the bottom corner.

O'Brien in the Donegal goals did excellently to prevent a Ger Enright goal, with the Burt netminder touching the stinging shot and the concession of only a point. The, Armagh's full-forward McNaughton totally fluffed an opportunity right in front of goal and the ball trickled wide of the mark.

However, with seven minutes to go, Gaffney, who had certainly been Armagh's best player in the second half, was played into space and he rifled home to give his side a 2-21 to 1-12 lead.

Moments later, Breathnach was dismissed for second yellow, leaving Donegal with only 13 and no chance of a comeback.

Enright then put the cheery on top of the cake in the last minute with a third Armagh goal as Donegal's defensive numbers were just too thin on the ground.

Wallace kept his panel on the pitch for some 20 minutes afterwards, stressing the importance of what the Lory Meager might bring.

Donegal: Paul O'Brien; Mark Patton, Colm Breathnach, Peter Horan; Paddy Hannigan, Justin McGhee, Barry Friel; Ardal McDermott, Kevin Campbell (1-8, 1-8f); Michael McGhee, Danny Cullen (0-1), Lee Henderson (0-1); Michael McCann, Eugene Organ, Ciaran Mathewson (0-2). Enda McDermott for Organ (34); Stephen Boyle for M McGhee (54).

Armagh: Joseph Burke; Brian Mallon, Eugene McDonnell, Barry Breen (0-3); Barry McCormack, Nathan Curry, Philip Kirk; Francie McMullan, Cathal Carvill; Ryan Gaffney (1-4), Ger Enright (1-1), Paul Breen (0-8, 6f); Fiachra Bradley (0-1), Brian McNaughton (1-2), Paul McCormack (0-4, 1f). Subs: Kieran McKernan and Barney McCann and for McDonnell and Bradley (43); Donal Carvill for Mallon (49); Paul Gaffney for Kirk (52); Michael Lennon for P Breen (55).

Referee: Garrett Duffy (Antrim).

thewanderer

well done cuchulainn no fall with the county hurlers from you?