Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

I know the ins and outs of how amalgamations are formed. I am also on record as saying that they shouldn't be allowed to be strong enough to compete for trophies, This is unfair on normal club teams who are scrapping together teams especially at the difficult age groups (u-21 being one). They are knocking their  pan in to get a team whilst they are coming up against 3 clubs that are just as strong.

On another note Clans beat Sarsfields u-21's

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

fitzroyalty

Sarsfields 1-9
Clans 2-11

Good win against a strong Highmoss side. Ref was poor, wouldn't let the game flow which is a shame given they were two attack-minded sides. Any other scores?

Benny Barnaveld

U21s

Tir Na Og   1-03               Crossmaglen   4-10

Roughly! Not sure if that was the exact score
Very one sided and corss missed at least 3 more handy goals

ogshead

Quote from: torres on May 05, 2010, 07:25:35 PM
Quote from: winsamsoon on May 05, 2010, 03:30:14 PM
How is it possible to select a team when three team amalgamate? Who manages the team and who calls the shots? It is bound to lead to some arguments
an amalgameted team from clonmore , annaghmore and collageland got to the u-16 county final in 2000 they were named st john,s . i think a kilcluney side reached the latter stages of the minor championship in the late 90,s featuring players from ballymacnab,clady and granemore . when teams cant field on their own they normally join up with their parish neighbours , still would,nt like to be a  selector though  :D

Not sure of the spelling but think it was actually Cill Chluana... they reached the quarter finals and knocked out by the Ogs. Another team that was knocking around at the time was Laochra ONeills. Think they were made up of 4 clubs can't remember who exactly. Have to agree with the other posters about amalgamations though, they should only be formed so a team can be fielded to represent the area. Around the late 90's the two teams above were serious contenders for the championship and I feel that they were formed for the wrong reason

thewanderer

ogs well beat  by st pats who look a very good team. minor champs of 3 years ago. didnt help the ogs that they had to field without their main player anto duffy who was injured at senior county trainin the nite before. player welfare what a joke makin players train the night before a championship match. ogs also had a number of other players missing thro injury from the 1st game, held st pats to 3 with a minute to halftime but a goal and a point deflated them. wasnt expecting a lot from this team as they struggled at underage. good luck to st pats who have a good team and will take some stopping especially if they continue to get home advantage.

Goats Do Shave

Shamrocks (Ballyhegan & Maghery) got to the minor final in '99 only to be beaten by a Barry Boylan inspired Ogs. Destroyed every team that year, bar the Ogs, including a much fancied Cullyhanna team!

JUst retired

While agreeing that teams should only amalgamate to keep lads playing football  only. If you look at the clubs who join, they are in the lower reaches of their leagues,they are always in very rural area`s. The fact that they may be lucky and win something every now and then,is no reason to deny them the opportunity to do so.How often to clubs in towns amalgamate? They have no reason to do so.

ogshead

Quote from: JUst retired on May 06, 2010, 08:41:24 AM
While agreeing that teams should only amalgamate to keep lads playing football  only. If you look at the clubs who join, they are in the lower reaches of their leagues,they are always in very rural area`s. The fact that they may be lucky and win something every now and then,is no reason to deny them the opportunity to do so.How often to clubs in towns amalgamate? They have no reason to do so.

If they join up and win something that's fair enough but I remember the time of the Cil Chluana amalgamation their aim was to win the St Pauls tournament in Belfast!! That was even before they played their first game!!

JUst retired

winsamsoon

I remember a few years back St Paul's of Lurgan Joined up with Eire Og can't remember what they called themselves. But somewhere with an area the size of Taghnevan and Craigavon should be able to fields team and there should be no excuse.

IVEDECIDED

Quote from: ogshead on May 05, 2010, 11:03:54 PM
Quote from: torres on May 05, 2010, 07:25:35 PM
Quote from: winsamsoon on May 05, 2010, 03:30:14 PM
How is it possible to select a team when three team amalgamate? Who manages the team and who calls the shots? It is bound to lead to some arguments
an amalgameted team from clonmore , annaghmore and collageland got to the u-16 county final in 2000 they were named st john,s . i think a kilcluney side reached the latter stages of the minor championship in the late 90,s featuring players from ballymacnab,clady and granemore . when teams cant field on their own they normally join up with their parish neighbours , still would,nt like to be a  selector though  :D

Not sure of the spelling but think it was actually Cill Chluana... they reached the quarter finals and knocked out by the Ogs. Another team that was knocking around at the time was Laochra ONeills. Think they were made up of 4 clubs can't remember who exactly. Have to agree with the other posters about amalgamations though, they should only be formed so a team can be fielded to represent the area. Around the late 90's the two teams above were serious contenders for the championship and I feel that they were formed for the wrong reason

I remember being hammered in the U21 championship around 99-2000 by a 4 team mix I think they were called Craobh Rua

winsamsoon

Remember that myself saan in Tir Na Nogs pitch

fitzroyalty

4 teams amalgamating is ridiculous. same goes for ogs/st paul's, mind bein told about that but not believing it, i'm sure that was a match made in heaven  :D

Onion Bag

Quote from: ogshead on May 06, 2010, 10:17:55 AM
Quote from: JUst retired on May 06, 2010, 08:41:24 AM

If they join up and win something that's fair enough but I remember the time of the Cil Chluana amalgamation their aim was to win the St Pauls tournament in Belfast!! That was even before they played their first game!!

who told you the aim was to win St Pauls tournament, i played on that team, and i never even heard of the St pauls tournament till a few years after that, when the Harps and ogs i think won it

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

JUst retired

The St.Pauls /Eire Og amalgamation only lasted 1 year. At that time neither club could field at U16 level.