Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IVEDECIDED

Clans hit 12 second half wides including 8 unanswered!! Game could have been won only for this.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Sarsfields 2-9 St Pat's 0-14. Sarsfields got a goal and a point in injury time to win the match. Very frustrating as we played reasonably well at times. Very poor start to the league losing at home to Whitecross and away to Sarsfields.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

sickboy

ballymacnab beat ballyhegan 1-16 to 3-08

ardmhaca08

St Michaels beat Silverbridge. 1-7 to 12pts.
We missed alot but St michaels were all over us. Kevin O'Rourke scored 6 points from play.

TacadoirArdMhacha

ACL Division 1 St Patrick's 0-14 Highmoss Sarsfields 2-9

The Senior side travelled to North Armagh on Sunday afternoon looking to bounce back from a disappointing display against Whitecross last week however they got off to the worst possible start with Sarsfields scoring a goal after 6 minutes. Aidan Mackin replied with a point after a good interception before the sides exchanged points from frees with Robbie Tasker and Eugene Casey on the mark for Cullyhanna. After 17 minutes Tony Donnelly narrowed the deficit to the minimum with an excellent score from a tight angle as St Pat's started to get a stranglehold on the match thanks to the midfield dominance of Gary McCooey. St Pat's got three further successive points through Mal Makin and Tony Donnelly. By this stage Cullyhanna were very much in the ascendancy though two rare forays forward late in the half resulted in Sarsfields side as they regained their lead by half time on a scoreline of 1-5 to 0-7.

The second half began brightly for the men from Lower Creggan as Tony Donnelly exchanged passes with Robbie Tasker before scoring a fine point. Eugene Casey then got two scores to put his side two points ahead. Sarsfields replied with a score from a long ball into attack. The final quarter of the match was fairly even with both sides pressing forward when possible however Cullyhanna looked to have secured the victory when Eugene Casey made a superb solo run down the touchline before kicking a miraculous point from the sideline while under pressure. Robbie Tasker added a further point after 31 minutes to put St Pat's 3 points up and seemingly in control. But disaster struck deep into injury time as a Sarsfields crossed pass was punched to the net for a goal. With the wind in their sails, the home side won possession from the resultant kick out and kicked what proved to be the winning score 5 minutes in injury time. Although they had a couple of late opportunities Cullyhanna could not find an equalising point and slumped to a morale sapping defeat.

While the result was clearly a huge disappointment, particularly given the presence of our county players, it is only fair to note that this was a much improved performance. Spectators were treated to some fine point scoring however it was the home side's greater ability to score goals at crucial times which cost Cullyhanna the match. With no points from 2 matches, next weekend's match at home to Maghery will be a crucial fixture.   

ACL Div 4: St. Patrick's 0-15 O'Hanlon's 0-8

St. Patrick's made it two out of two in their first season in the all county league with this deserved win over O'Hanlon's in a game played in good conditions at Cullyhanna. The team got off to an unfortunate start losing no less than 3 players to muscle injuries in the first 10 minutes of the game. Despite these setbacks the team showed good spirit to get on with the matter in hand with the subs who came in quickly settling into the rhythm of the game. On play the first half was even enough with both sides having periods of dominance. Brendan Nugent opened the scoring with a point for St. Pat's before the visitors equalised with converted free a few minutes later. Ciaran Nugent edged the homesters ahead again with a minor score but Poyntzpass having their best period of the game tacked on a brace of points to take the lead for the only time in the game. As the game entered the last 10 minutes of the half Cullyhanna stepped up things with points from Tony Durnin and Brendan Nugent. O'Hanlon's pulled one back but once again St. Pat's responded positively with another brace from Rory O'Neill and Patsy McKeever to leave their time 0-6 to 0-4 ahead at the break.

A point from a free by Rory O'Neill got St. Patrick's off to a good start on the resumption. O'Hanlon's responded again with a point before Brendan Murray stretched Cullyhanna's lead with a well taken point. The same player then added another two as Cullyhanna moved up a pace but as before O'Hanlon's were able to respond with a brace of their own. As the half progressed the game opened up a bit more with chances being created by both sides. With only 10 minutes left their was still only a goal in it with the result still up for grabs. St. Pat's showed a very positive attitude at this stage of the game and hit 4 unanswered points to claim a comfortable enough win in the end. The win marks a very positive start to the new venture and no doubt the team can build on this and improve as they get more games under their belt.

torres

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 18, 2010, 07:42:25 PM
ACL Division 1 St Patrick's 0-14 Highmoss Sarsfields 2-9

The Senior side travelled to North Armagh on Sunday afternoon looking to bounce back from a disappointing display against Whitecross last week however they got off to the worst possible start with Sarsfields scoring a goal after 6 minutes. Aidan Mackin replied with a point after a good interception before the sides exchanged points from frees with Robbie Tasker and Eugene Casey on the mark for Cullyhanna. After 17 minutes Tony Donnelly narrowed the deficit to the minimum with an excellent score from a tight angle as St Pat's started to get a stranglehold on the match thanks to the midfield dominance of Gary McCooey. St Pat's got three further successive points through Mal Makin and Tony Donnelly. By this stage Cullyhanna were very much in the ascendancy though two rare forays forward late in the half resulted in Sarsfields side as they regained their lead by half time on a scoreline of 1-5 to 0-7.

The second half began brightly for the men from Lower Creggan as Tony Donnelly exchanged passes with Robbie Tasker before scoring a fine point. Eugene Casey then got two scores to put his side two points ahead. Sarsfields replied with a score from a long ball into attack. The final quarter of the match was fairly even with both sides pressing forward when possible however Cullyhanna looked to have secured the victory when Eugene Casey made a superb solo run down the touchline before kicking a miraculous point from the sideline while under pressure. Robbie Tasker added a further point after 31 minutes to put St Pat's 3 points up and seemingly in control. But disaster struck deep into injury time as a Sarsfields crossed pass was punched to the net for a goal. With the wind in their sails, the home side won possession from the resultant kick out and kicked what proved to be the winning score 5 minutes in injury time. Although they had a couple of late opportunities Cullyhanna could not find an equalising point and slumped to a morale sapping defeat.

While the result was clearly a huge disappointment, particularly given the presence of our county players, it is only fair to note that this was a much improved performance. Spectators were treated to some fine point scoring however it was the home side's greater ability to score goals at crucial times which cost Cullyhanna the match. With no points from 2 matches, next weekend's match at home to Maghery will be a crucial fixture.   

over on TOC some poster from sarsfields mentioned they had a player stamped on while one of  your midfielder,s was sent off for a bit of boxing  :o

el_cuervo_fc

charlie stubbs

clann  eireann 0-09 wolfe tone 0-10

true

Quote from: charlie stubbs on April 18, 2010, 10:13:37 PM
pretty poor match for both teams not good viewing at all result could have gone either way.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Orior on April 18, 2010, 11:36:22 PM
Whats wrong with the Armagh resultrs page?

http://www.rte.ie/aertel/450-01.html

By the way Orior;

Redmond O'Hanlon, Barney Canavan, Rory Best, Sir Charles Poyntz, Simon Best, John Rafferty your boys took a hell of a beating.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: true on April 18, 2010, 11:05:14 PM
Quote from: charlie stubbs on April 18, 2010, 10:13:37 PM
pretty poor match for both teams not good viewing at all result could have gone either way.

derby games hardly ever good tbh couldnt give a f**k idf won 0-01 to 0-00 2 points is 2 points

John Martin

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 18, 2010, 11:51:41 PM

By the way Orior;

Redmond O'Hanlon, Barney Canavan, Rory Best, Sir Charles Poyntz, Simon Best, John Rafferty your boys took a hell of a beating.

I heard the pass where missing some important players, most notably their left half forward. You'll not have it as handy in the return fixture.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: John Martin on April 18, 2010, 11:57:58 PM

By the way Orior;

I heard the pass where missing some important players, most notably their left half forward. You'll not have it as handy in the return fixture.

I think its their left half back you're referring to but I take your point John Martin. Every side in Division 4 will be fearful of the return of this giant of modern football.

Orior

By the way Orior;

*Keeps powder dry*
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians