Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AFS on March 04, 2010, 09:55:07 PM
Quote from: mackers on March 04, 2010, 09:42:41 PM
24th is a Wednesday AFS, defo not in Cross then..........

Good spot. It would be a pity to have to cede home advantage. Surely there are other floodlit options in the county, especially since this game won't attract a massive crowd.

And if we do cede home advantage surely we should take the match to Newry rather than Omagh.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

drici

Stephen clinches draw
by Jimmy Geoghegan

Meath 1-20  Armagh 2-17

James Boyle in action for Meath against Armagh in the NHL Div 3A at Páirc Tailteann on Sunday.

There was a time when a hurling contest between Meath and Armagh guaranteed one result - and it wasn't a victory for the Orchard County.

Now times have changed and the transformation was clearly demonstrated in this contest at Páirc Tailteann on Sunday when a new-look Meath side struggled to keep in touch with a lively Armagh outfit in the NHL Div 3A.

Once again Meath, who made three changes from the team that beat London, turned to Stephen Clynch to come up with a little piece of magic and rescue them. This time around he produced the late point that earned the draw from the jaws of defeat.

What would Meath do without Clynch? His repertoire of skill makes him the type of player who would not be out of place with the likes of Tipperary, or even the Cats.

He conjured up six points against the tenacious Armagh side which included that late free that he converted from about 35 metres out to pull his side back on level terms.

Armagh would not have been flattered by a victory as they dominated for lengthy spells. They produced some fast-paced hurling and combined considerable know-how and skill with a determination that stretched their opponents.

The Ulster side enjoyed a 2-10 to 1-10 lead at the break and despite playing with the aid of a stiff breeze, Meath were unable to lift their game enough to stay with their opponents.

Last year Meath defeated Armagh, and with considerable comfort. This time around it was different and Meath will be glad of the point earned as they prepare for what promises to be a stern test against Kerry on Sunday week. Meath could be without Alan Nestor for that contest as he was carried off late in this contest with what looked like a nasty leg injury.

Sunday's game was almost four minutes into added time when Armagh's Cathal Carvill slotted over from long-range to edge his team one point in front.

His score was well-taken and would have been a worthy winner of any game.

The denizens of the press box - and doubtless some members of the paltry crowd - were expecting the referee to blow the final whistle. Instead Meath were allowed another roll of the dice.

The play moved on and Paul Fagan won the ball in his own half. He passed to Clynch who delivered onto Derek Muldoon who was fouled. At least Offaly referee Ciaran Groome thought so although some of the Armagh players protested vigorously.

Up stepped Clynch to easily split the posts with that easy style of his to earn Meath the draw and a league point that could yet prove crucial.

Most of the real drama in this contest was packed into the last 10 minutes or so with Clynch applying the finishing touch.

Maybe there was an element of taking things for granted in the Meath camp, but Armagh should not be underestimated this year as they were fit and eager and clearly well prepared.

At times TJ Reilly's men gave frees away too easily and they were all too often second to the loose ball. Armagh were also capable of taking the chances that came their way although if they had been a little more clinical Meath would have been staring at a certain defeat.

The balance of the play flowed both ways in the opening half and the sides were level a number times before Armagh took a decisive step forward after just nine minutes.

Their pacy forward Kieran McKernan lacked nothing in sharpness when he won possession close to the Meath goals and let fly with a stinging shot.

Stephen Quinn produced an superb save, but the sliotar broke kindly for McKernan and he rifled to the net from close range. Ger Enright found the net for Armagh for the second time just before the break.

In between Armagh's goals Meath also made the net dance. It was a product of an enterprising move they were capable of producing from time to time.

Mark Mullally and Kevin Keena were involved in getting the ball to Clynch who showed vision and perception to cross for the unmarked Peter Durnin who fired home from 20 metres.

Throughout the second-half every time Meath threatened to edge ahead Armagh hit back. On 63 minutes James Boyle stormed forward to score an excellent point. Immediately afterwards Armagh managed a fine score from Enright.

Neil Hackett ended up with seven points, five frees while Joey Keena and Horan were others to get on the scoresheet. The home side were also helped by gritty performances from Enda Fitzgerald, Michael Foley, Paul Fagan and Mark Lynch.

However it was left to the classy hurler from Kilmessan to slot over that late free that earned Meath a draw they just about deserved.

Armagh - J Burke; B Mallon, P McArdle, F McMullan; N Curry, P McCormack, B McCann (0-2); B Breen, K McKernan (1-1); R Gaffney, J Corvan (0-1), C Carvill (0-4); P Breen (0-2), G Enright (1-3), F Bradley (0-4). Sub - C McCann for Gaffney.

Meath - S Quinn; B Coughlan, E Fitzgerald, M Foley; M Horan, P Fagan, M Lynch; S Clynch (0-6), J Boyle (0-2); P Durnin (1-2), N Hackett (0-7), P Garvey; J Keena (0-1), N Horan (0-2), M Mullally. Subs - K Keena for Garvey, D Donoghue for Lynch, A Nestor for Hackett, D Muldoon for Nestor.

Referee - Ciaran Groome (Offaly).

winsamsoon

I was at the Mc Davitt cup final yesterday in Healy park and a tyrone lad approached me and asked me was i coming back up on wed night. To which i asked him what for and he told me that Armagh where playing Donegal in the u-21's
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

thewanderer

Win, just had a peep at the ulster league, pre-season not goin too well at the moment? Told u it was a crap league anyway ;)

true

how can u honestly say ulster league crap league.   You obviously were never really involved in it !!!!!   surely better than trailing teams to the likes of Fintona or anywhere else for friendlies  :P :P :P :P

fitzroyalty

Quote from: thewanderer on March 05, 2010, 04:45:06 PM
Win, just had a peep at the ulster league, pre-season not goin too well at the moment? Told u it was a crap league anyway ;)
Don't you worry saan we're saving the big performances for when the league starts back! The ulster league is very good imo though. Properly officiated games against Division1 teams from other counties. good chance to blood players and better than fannying about trying to organise challenge games.

thewanderer

Dodgy division 1 teams in a lot of cases. Have been in it in the past, wait to see the amount of teams not fulfilling their final games now they cant win it and alot of teams not having full squads due to county games. It should be renamed the challenge league. not too many of last years county champs r/up or big clubs in it except of course derry teams who struggle to get challenge matches further south anyway. fintona might beat u at the minute ;) saan/fitz dont be all sensitive just an observation, it must be crap if yous are not top of your division :)

torres

Quote from: winsamsoon on March 04, 2010, 08:25:32 PM
Quote from: torres on March 04, 2010, 06:23:13 PM
i see laois are missing 5 regulars for the armagh game this weekend while were nearly back to full strength , should be 2 pts in the bag   8)

Should be but Armagh have a habit of making easy things difficult.

laois 12 - 13 armagh  ;)

fitzroyalty

Quote from: thewanderer on March 06, 2010, 10:05:41 AM
Dodgy division 1 teams in a lot of cases. Have been in it in the past, wait to see the amount of teams not fulfilling their final games now they cant win it and alot of teams not having full squads due to county games. It should be renamed the challenge league. not too many of last years county champs r/up or big clubs in it except of course derry teams who struggle to get challenge matches further south anyway. fintona might beat u at the minute ;) saan/fitz dont be all sensitive just an observation, it must be crap if yous are not top of your division :)
Now now I wasn't being sensitive ??? Just defending what I think as an excellent pre-season competition! Maybe it's you being sensitive after that wee rant!

GAAsupporter

Anyone know the winners of the Armagh Scor Sinsear Finals??

If anyone does...please post them!

;D

Thanks!
Are ye well?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: GAAsupporter on March 07, 2010, 01:36:07 PM

;D

Thanks!

The final is tonight.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

GAAsupporter

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 07, 2010, 02:45:25 PM
Quote from: GAAsupporter on March 07, 2010, 01:36:07 PM

;D

Thanks!

The final is tonight.

Will u be able to post the winners after??
:)
Are ye well?

true

anybody any info on pat mc cmahon matches 2day!!!! ???

fitzroyalty

Quote from: true on March 07, 2010, 04:25:29 PM
anybody any info on pat mc cmahon matches 2day!!!! ???
Tir na nOg beat Sarsfields and Tones had a sneaky 1 pt win over St Paul's who i am reliably informed missed two penalties.

torres

bellaghy bt granemore by 3 pts .