Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orange2009

Tears, Laughter and Pain for Armagh Players as they "Shave and Dye" for the Irish Cancer Society. Click on the link below to view gallery. Photographer: John Merry

http://tinyurl.com/y8oeo8m

winsamsoon

Some craic there i would say the pain threshold was going through the roof. lol
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

only1clansinlurgan

I would need my chest done pal...  :P

thewanderer

only1clansinlurgan

ur right wanderer saan.. nat my fault ma mum cums frum the country and me da is frum the town.. half sheep half man.lol :P :P :P :P ;)

i play lak 1 2!!! ;D

orchardkop

Does anyone have the league fixtures?

winsamsoon

Quote from: only1clansinlurgan on February 19, 2010, 05:39:07 PM
ur right wanderer saan.. nat my fault ma mum cums frum the country and me da is frum the town.. half sheep half man.lol :P :P :P :P ;)

i play lak 1 2!!! ;D

fcuk a duck

illdecide

Bar Cross and the Ogs what other team are you expecting big things off this year?

I've a funny feeling Cruppin will improve big from last year as well as Dromintee
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

orange2009

Tony Scullion, All Ireland medal winner with Derry and Former All-Star will be taking a session on Wed 24th Feb at 7.30pm in Pearse Og Pk. Click link below for more details:

http://armagh-gaa.com/Football/News/Armagh-Coaching-the-Coaches-Workshop.aspx

winsamsoon

Lads i'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic but i often have to laugh at things like this because like most other sports in the GAA we see players having great playing careers and then being put up as the next best manager. Now i believe that people who were decent players don't always make good manager. I think there is a whole new set of criteria required to be a coach/manager.

Another thing that really get on my tits is people who know absolutely fook all about Gaelic and they are coming out with all these coaching badges and trying to teach kids how to play the game when they have never kicked a ball themselves. I thinks some sort of happy medium has to be found. Are these coaching courses neccessary ? do we need to be spending money on trying to ensure people that really haven't a clue can obtain levels of coaching? Surely this money could be channelled into a centre of excellence that could exist on a regional basis where all  have access and the proper coaches are in place.

What's your opinions on this lads?

I fail to see where i have said in this post that newcomers to the Gaa are unwelcome???? I also fail to see where i have said that unless you have played you cannot coach. Infact Ogs head you are arguing the same point as me (I am saying that because you have played football all your life it doesn't make you a good coach) You for some reason are thinking that i am saying if you haven't played football then you can't coach. Don't know where you have got this out of my post.

I am all for new people coming into the GAA but FFS lads it has to be run right. Someone that has no experience at all shouldn't be allowed to come straight in and become a coach. IMO there should eb a set of criteria set aside for you to become a coach, the major one being some form of experience around football or playing football. As I'lldecide says we have people looking to take teams because they have a son or a daughter playing and thus they are going to be there anyway so they may aswell help. This is fine let the help with the setting up of drills or the filling of water bottles and all the other thankful task (that are also crucial and never get the respect they warrant) But they shouldn't be allowed straight into coaching the children. At a youg age is where the kids learn good and bad habits so it is crucial the best people are in place at these early levels. I think the university route is the way to go in some sort of informal set up.

illdecide

Quote from: winsamsoon on February 23, 2010, 02:12:45 PM
Lads i'm not trying to be funny or sarcastic but i often have to laugh at things like this because like most other sports in the GAA we see players having great playing careers and then being put up as the next best manager. Now i believe that people who were decent players don't always make good manager. I think there is a whole new set of criteria required to be a coach/manager.

Another thing that really get on my tits is people who know absolutely fook all about Gaelic and they are coming out with all these coaching badges and trying to teach kids how to play the game when they have never kicked a ball themselves. I thinks some sort of happy medium has to be found. Are these coaching courses neccessary ? do we need to be spending money on trying to ensure people that really haven't a clue can obtain levels of coaching? Surely this money could be channelled into a centre of excellence that could exist on a regional basis where all  have access and the proper coaches are in place.

What's your opinions on this lads?

you do have a point there saan, i was at a level 1 course there a few years ago and some of the breeds at it wouldn't have known what was inside the ball never mind trying to coach players :o. You don't have to have been a good footballer to be a good coach but 90% of the time that usually is the case as you've been there and got the T shirt and you know whats it all about. The guy who has never kicked a size 5 in his life what would he know about pressure situations on a pitch and what to tell some cub how to deal with it but i bet he'd be the biggest mouth at a match shouting on his opinion and such and such is shite etc etc
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

brokencrossbar1

I did the level one last year and brought this issue up with the "coaches".  they said that with the increase in young players fathers getting involved in running underage teams they had to put some basic training process into place to cover their asses.  from this year on if you do not have at least level 1 done you cannot be involved in coaching any underage team.  They did say that the long term goal is to have a core of coaches in each county up to the level 3 standard with the possibiltiy of going into partnership with a university and having some form of Diploma/qualification in relation to training and promoting the GAA.

mhacadoir

any idea when the Armagh - Mayo hurling game is refixed for?

winsamsoon

The only problem with that university side Bc would be the terms set out to gain admittance. Possibly still leaving the door open for some head the balls to get into it.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: mhacadoir on February 23, 2010, 02:45:29 PM
any idea when the Armagh - Mayo hurling game is refixed for?

Saturday 6 March
Allianz NHL Division 3A
Armagh v Mayo, Crossmaglen, 2.30pm