Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: BenDover on October 20, 2009, 01:41:01 PM
Quote from: winsamsoon on October 20, 2009, 12:12:46 PM
I can honestly say i have never seen Andy mallon get the run around and i don't expect that to change on the 1st.

would have to agree i've played with andy for years and i can't remember anyone gettig much change from him, paul duffy was the same underage

Andy is probably in the top 6 defenders in the country, believe me when I say this you just cant escape him, he was up my hole from I was 11 till 18, Bendover can verify that, although I mind a young slim lad gettin 2-7 off the two above lads in an U-14 c'ship, (just remembered we lost that one too) Quigley I think ya called him.

Anyway, just getting over the weekend, well done to the Ogs on a much deserved win and I wish then every success in the their quest for ulster medals.

winsamsoon

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 20, 2009, 01:45:25 PM
The only time I saw it was from Jim McConville when Andy was a young lad.  Jim made a dummy of him in Cross, not sure of the year.  Jim was in his last year I think and Andy was just in his 2nd season I think.  Real master teaching the pupil that day.

Well at least he learned from a master BC, wee Jim was a legend and the key was that he did learn
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

ogshead

Was just reading through the match programme today (which I thought was very well done) and noticed that the Harps have claimed the county titles won by Young Irelands. Now I know that the Harps have always had a connection with them and all that craic but being registered in the GAA as Young Irelands definitely means a different club and you can't claim those titles. I know it's only a small thing but it was a wee bit confusing

Skiddybadoo

I can honestly say i have never seen Andy mallon get the run around and i don't expect that to change on the 1st.

would have to agree i've played with andy for years and i can't remember anyone gettig much change from him, paul duffy was the same underage
I remember Paddy Bradley turning Andy inside out in Casement a number of years back.  Think it may have been an Ulster semi final.

bennydorano

Quote from: Skiddybadoo on October 20, 2009, 05:04:20 PM

I remember Paddy Bradley turning Andy inside out in Casement a number of years back.  Think it may have been an Ulster semi final.
Correct.  Andy was moved off him after about 20 mins torture.

bennydorano

Quote from: BenDover on October 19, 2009, 01:02:31 PM
Mackers come out of it! JP never transferred 2d best team in armagh for nothing. As someone already said with it bein so close 2 full time maybe a good talkin til n a yellow card each would've been better. Is there any chance that red can be rescinded?           Hard luck yest umgola
Why on earth would it be rescended ??? ??? A punch not counted as striking these days?   

thewingedlady

Quote from: ogshead on October 20, 2009, 04:07:42 PM
Was just reading through the match programme today (which I thought was very well done) and noticed that the Harps have claimed the county titles won by Young Irelands. Now I know that the Harps have always had a connection with them and all that craic but being registered in the GAA as Young Irelands definitely means a different club and you can't claim those titles. I know it's only a small thing but it was a wee bit confusing

Sure saying that the Ogs is a splinter club we should be claiming your four county titles as well.  :P

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ogshead on October 20, 2009, 04:07:42 PM

It's definitely confusing for me. Should I go with the opinion of the hugely respected GAA historian Conn Shortt, or go with the GAABoard poster known as ogshead?   

I'll have to get back to you on that one!!   ::)

brokencrossbar1

I wouldn't worry Rufus, with or without the YI wins, they are still playing catch up.

BenDover

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on October 20, 2009, 02:51:34 PM

Andy is probably in the top 6 defenders in the country, believe me when I say this you just cant escape him, he was up my hole from I was 11 till 18, Bendover can verify that, although I mind a young slim lad gettin 2-7 off the two above lads in an U-14 c'ship, (just remembered we lost that one too) Quigley I think ya called him.
:D :D was that the day you shite yourself and missed a penalty? 2-7 is some tally Spirit can't say i remember ever conceding that much on anybody never mind a slim verison of youreslf.

Benny it's out of optimism more than anything that i asked that question as JP would be a big help to the Ogs next weekend

thewanderer

the learned rufus,s father knows that the harps reformed in 1946 4 years before the ogs formed out of the old street leagues to insure games for more men. i think the harps were preceded by young irelands and st. malachys and then before that were known as the harps. an interesting chat one day with older harps and ogs people was that in the sixties an approach was made to amalgamate the clubs due to immigration to england. thank god it didnt happen or we wouldn't have the great rivalry that exists.

lurganblue

Quote from: BenDover on October 21, 2009, 08:23:37 AM
Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on October 20, 2009, 02:51:34 PM

:D :D was that the day you shite yourself and missed a penalty? 2-7 is some tally Spirit can't say i remember ever conceding that much on anybody never mind a slim verison of youreslf.

Benny it's out of optimism more than anything that i asked that question as JP would be a big help to the Ogs next weekend

a slim version?? dont remember that... maybe i'm too young ;)

orange2009

Wet conditions failed to spoil a great occasion for the city of Armagh at the Lucozade Sport SFC Final - This is actually a very good wee video
&
Also there are now extended match highlights from the game available

http://armagh-gaa.com/Armagh-TV/News/Og-Power-to-County-Title.aspx

the scenic route

http://armagh-gaa.com/Armagh-TV/News/Og-Power-to-County-Title.aspx

Has anyone watched Ronans interview after the game. How many time does he say "like ya know" in 2 minutes i count 13 lol
"Underneath that thin veneer of human civilisation, we're all just a bunch of fu*king animals"

Passing_Interest

Wanderer and Ogshead and indeed anyone else interested in the history of football in the City.......
I recommend you read Phil McGinn's history of the Harps.
It deals in fair detail with a lot of the points you have raised on here.
Yes, its a history of the Harps but when you read it you realise that its a history of football in the city. A history from which evolved the Harps and the Ogs as we are today.
It showed to me that we have much more in common than we thought.
A good friend of mine, an Ogs comittee member agrees whole heartedly.
Nothing but the same old story.........