Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nashville

Congratulations to Pearse Ogs on a very well deserved Senior championship, think it has been coming for a while, just a pity it had to be against us!

On the game itself, I just think it was a case of Harps being out-played by a team with a deeper fitness reserve, a tighter defence and to be honest, and it hurts to say, looked like the team with the far greater will to win. They fully deserved to win what was an atrocious game and only for some wayward shooting in 2nd half Ogs could and maybe should have won by more. It seemed that it just wasn't to be Harps day with Toal and Swift both missing 21 yard frees straight in front of the goals, for Toal's miss I think Kevin should have told him where to go and hit it himself, maybe a bit of naiivety on Kevin's part but his game will come as he gets older and more experienced.

Remember lads it took the Harps 4 attempts in finals in the 80s to win one, yes losing to your biggest rivals in a Championship final will hurt, but hopefully it isn't the end of the road, the boys really need to push on and gain promotion next year and who knows what could happen with a the championship, if we can keep men like Toal, McCoy and Kelly working hard at it with noone leaving for the summer anything could happen with a good bunch of minors coming through, there has to be some talent there you don't win 2 in a row without the ability!

As someone else has already said, I am still proud to be a Harpsman today and was pleased to see so many of our players were gracious in defeat, I noticed quite a few of the boys waiting around afterwards to shake the hands of Ogs men.

Congratulations to Ogs and all the very best for your Ulster championship campaign, time to show all those doubters in Ulster who for the past 13 years have criticised Armagh club football as being crap. Good luck.

NaClairsigh AbĂș!

BenDover

Mackers come out of it! JP never transferred 2d best team in armagh for nothing. As someone already said with it bein so close 2 full time maybe a good talkin til n a yellow card each would've been better. Is there any chance that red can be rescinded?           Hard luck yest umgola

Rufus T Firefly

First of all, congratulations to our nearest and dearest. Pearse Og were the better team and we can have no complaints about the defeat.

For ourselves of course it was a very disappointing day. Looking back on the game now I feel that a lack of experience may have been a factor and possibly a lack of self belief amongst our players. At half time we were hoping that the players would be inspired by going in level and realise that the game was there if they wanted it badly enough. It wasn't to be unfortunately.

It is the nature of GAA games to look back after defeats and try and pinpoint where it all went wrong, and there can be a tendency to look at your own side only. For instance we missed a number of relatively easy scoring chances at vital times, that could have put the Ogs under pressure, and left the game more in the balance. However, on the flip side, Pearse Og dominated play in the second half, and by my count throughout the game had twelve wides to our six - they were the better team and deserved their victory - simple as that.

For us, I thought Conan Lennon, Collie Holmes, Charlie Vernon and Simon Lennon were excellent, and I thought Nippy, Martin McCoy and Philly McKinney gave it their all. For the Ogs, I thought the Duffys were very good, as was Andy Mallon, Ciaran McKinney and young Cullen in the full forward line.

Irrespective of the result and the performance, I'm still very proud to be a Harps man, and proud of the effort that the whole squad put in this year! Hopefully this experience can be built upon in the future! Onwards and upwards!   :)

Onion Bag

Quote from: under the bar on October 18, 2009, 10:31:37 PM
Well done to Pearse Og's.  Gives their fans something to do now instead of smashing the windows of opposing fans cars.

What is that about UTB, did someone break ur car window?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Onthe40

What age is Kieran Hughes, now lads? I thought he had retired, he must be mid-30s is he?

orange2009

Ronan Clarke speaks to Armagh GAA TV about his fulfilling his dream of winning an Armagh SFC Medal

http://www.armagh-gaa.com/Armagh-TV/News/Og-Power-to-County-Title.aspx

orange2009

Pearse Og manager Brendan Hughes praises captain Ciaran McKinney after the Lucozade Armagh SFC title win

http://www.armagh-gaa.com/Armagh-TV/News/Og-Power-to-County-Title.aspx

ogshead

Well done to Pearse Og's.  Gives their fans something to do now instead of smashing the windows of opposing fans cars.

w**ker tryin to be a dick, I have been drinkin with harps boys all day and never heard a mention of this, don't take away from the occasion and let us celebrate!!!!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ogshead on October 19, 2009, 10:55:41 PM

w**ker tryin to be a dick, I have been drinkin with harps boys all day and never heard a mention of this, don't take away from the occasion and let us celebrate!!!!

I know nothing of what under the bar is referring to, but the man himself is from Tyrone if I'm not mstaken? 

Onion Bag

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 20, 2009, 12:05:07 AM
Quote from: ogshead on October 19, 2009, 10:55:41 PM

He is indeed from Tyrone, Pass no remarks lads he is just stirring the pot

I know nothing of what under the bar is referring to, but the man himself is from Tyrone if I'm not mstaken?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

thewanderer

Well done to ogs and good effort by the harps. Best team won on the day. Conditions didnt help the football but it was still very intense. I thought JP,s sending off was very harsh and im sure he will be appealing it.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

Congrats to Harps Minors,
Killevay posed a few problems but a strong defence is what won it for Harps. Mark Mc Coy and Conor White above the rest along with thwe shooting from Padraig Rafferty in attack.

Congrats to Pearse Ogs,
Not an all time 'great game' but none the less the result is always important in finals.
Good to see a few 'clubmen' with county medals, heres hoping they add a small ball county medal next year.
Its all about the Hurling.

winsamsoon

So it's the ogs now to take on St Galls on the 1st of nov. Really can't see the ogs winning this game as they don't have the fire power to score naturally up front. I too would rather see Ronan on the edge of the square think he would add another dimension to their game. Overall i think the Og's lack pace up front but they have a decent defence. I noticed on sunday that the ogs half backs always played deep up the field effectively making the Harps half forwards track back and become defenders, thus nulifying their attack as they had no one good enough to exploit the huge space. I think this tactic was spot on against the harps as they could always outscore them but St Gall's will be a different animal. I wouldn't have thought the Ogs would want to leave the likes of CJ Mc Courty a massive amount of space to run into to. I would say they would want to compact the defence as much as possible like they did against cross. I eagerly await the battle of A.Mallon and CJ. Both clinking players and almost certainly no quarter will be given. My money is on Mallon to come out on top of this one because he simply won't give Mc Courty a minute (but then again he can be deadly in seconds) :o :o. I can honestly say i have never seen Andy mallon get the run around and i don't expect that to change on the 1st.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

BenDover

Quote from: winsamsoon on October 20, 2009, 12:12:46 PM
I can honestly say i have never seen Andy mallon get the run around and i don't expect that to change on the 1st.

would have to agree i've played with andy for years and i can't remember anyone gettig much change from him, paul duffy was the same underage

brokencrossbar1

The only time I saw it was from Jim McConville when Andy was a young lad.  Jim made a dummy of him in Cross, not sure of the year.  Jim was in his last year I think and Andy was just in his 2nd season I think.  Real master teaching the pupil that day.