Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie stubbs

Quote from: the scenic route on October 14, 2009, 03:29:51 PM
Talking a look at boylesports odds for the county final there they have it

Ogs 4/9
Draw 15/2
Harps 11/5

Think these odds are a bit harsh on harps think ogs have more firepower but i think the local derby factor will play effect to make this game very close and go right down to the wire which makes me think the draw  may be the value bet or maybe Harps +2 at 5/4

do they do handicap betting scenic route?

ogshead

Just read in the Gazzette today that Beefer thinks thinks that the Ogs had the easier route to the final. What does everyone else think of that. I never get bogged down over how teams get to finals but thinking about the Ogs played Carrickcruppin (finished 3rd in the league behind Ogs and Cross), then Cross themselves (nothing needed to be said there) and then Clann Eireann (about the only perceived weak game). Obviously, the Ogs fancied their chances big time against Clann Eireann it was still a tough campaign so far (and will be tougher by Sunday). Harps played 2 div 2 teams on the way and a Clan na Gael team that's rebuiling. So... what's the verdict??

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ogshead on October 14, 2009, 09:44:03 PM
Just read in the Gazzette today that Beefer thinks thinks that the Ogs had the easier route to the final. What does everyone else think of that. I never get bogged down over how teams get to finals but thinking about the Ogs played Carrickcruppin (finished 3rd in the league behind Ogs and Cross), then Cross themselves (nothing needed to be said there) and then Clann Eireann (about the only perceived weak game). Obviously, the Ogs fancied their chances big time against Clann Eireann it was still a tough campaign so far (and will be tougher by Sunday). Harps played 2 div 2 teams on the way and a Clan na Gael team that's rebuiling. So... what's the verdict??

Off the top of my head, there were four Division One teams in our half of the draw, i.e. St Pats, Clans, Dromintee and Mullabawn. I think there were five Division One sides in the Ogs side of the draw, including themselves of course.

In my humble opinion, and looking at our opponents, Granemore would be a better side than Carrickcruppen and Clann Eireann, whilst Ballymacnab, again in my opinion, would be better than Clann Eireann and at least on a par with Carrickcruppen.  Rangers of course would be superior to any of these sides by a distance.

If each opponent was to be given a difficulty rating out of ten, then I don't think there would be a lot of difference when the totals of each Championship run are added up. However that does not reflect on the achievement of the Ogs overcoming Rangers.

To be honest, both sides are there on merit, and the respective difficulties of their Championship runs is not really relevant to Sunday anyway.

ogshead

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 14, 2009, 10:30:32 PM

Off the top of my head, there were four Division One teams in our half of the draw, i.e. St Pats, Clans, Dromintee and Mullabawn. I think there were five Division One sides in the Ogs side of the draw, including themselves of course.

In my humble opinion, and looking at our opponents, Granemore would be a better side than Carrickcruppen and Clann Eireann, whilst Ballymacnab, again in my opinion, would be better than Clann Eireann and at least on a par with Carrickcruppen.  Rangers of course would be superior to any of these sides by a distance.

If each opponent was to be given a difficulty rating out of ten, then I don't think there would be a lot of difference when the totals of each Championship run are added up. However that does not reflect on the achievement of the Ogs overcoming Rangers.

To be honest, both sides are there on merit, and the respective difficulties of their Championship runs is not really relevant to Sunday anyway.

I realise that, just thought I'd raise the point to see what other people thought. He mentioned it in the context that the Ogs would be complacent due to their easier run to the final. Think he was talking a load of cack anyway

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ogshead on October 14, 2009, 10:58:14 PM
I realise that, just thought I'd raise the point to see what other people thought. He mentioned it in the context that the Ogs would be complacent due to their easier run to the final.

Don't get me wrong now, I enjoy the debates on here about the relative merits of the various teams in the County. I just don't think it will be a factor come Sunday.

Think he was talking a load of cack anyway

I couldn't possibly comment!!   :-X

ogshead

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on October 14, 2009, 11:04:46 PM
I realise that, just thought I'd raise the point to see what other people thought. He mentioned it in the context that the Ogs would be complacent due to their easier run to the final.

Don't get me wrong now, I enjoy the debates on here about the relative merits of the various teams in the County. I just don't think it will be a factor come Sunday.

Think he was talking a load of cack anyway

I couldn't possibly comment!!   :-X

No, your right, 50/50 game come Sunday... I enjoy the banter as much as the next man and the talk has died off a bit in the last week. The nerves are set in big time and can't wait til Sunday. As I mentioned a few weeks back, I'm glad I'm not a player as I would absolutely crumble under the pressure. May the best team win and may the best team be green and gold  ;D

fcuksake

getting closer to the big day now, and as mentioned the board has gone a bit quiet.

I expected the Harps to be a better price than 11/5, but being a derby game you never know.

Hopfully the pints will be flowing on sunday nite/ monday morning/nite, & the Gerry Fagan parked just off the loughgall Rd ;D

Come on the HARPS........................

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

BenDover

Quote from: nashville on October 14, 2009, 06:16:49 PM
Quote from: BenDover on October 14, 2009, 09:17:26 AM
Quote from: nashville on October 13, 2009, 07:43:59 PM

Any Ogs men know what time Loughran's flight in from the states is? He would need some time to get over the jet lag!

Anyone know when the last time a Div. 2 team won the Senior Championship?

Even if Loughie did fly back he would be ineligable to play (plus I wouldn't start him as I don't think it's fair on the boys who've busted their ass all year :P) for the Ogs so I'm sure he'll be enjoying himself in San Fran waiting to hear the result.

Spirit word on the grapevine is a badly injured quad muscle any truth in this? If so its a bummer for him def deserves a crack at a county final.

Why would he be ineligible to play? Surely it's the exact same situation as Kelly, McCoy and McConville who were in San Fran? They came back to play in Quarter Final, just because he comes back later does not make him ineligible to play.

Have heard Ogs men referring to it as their "Johnny Corvan" moment.

Is there not some rule or something that states if you play for a team in the states for 90days + you not allowed to play for your club until the following season? AFAIK them boys left San Fran before their 90days was up any of the harps posters confirm this?

BenDover

Quote from: fcuksake on October 14, 2009, 11:22:28 PM
getting closer to the big day now, and as mentioned the board has gone a bit quiet.

I expected the Harps to be a better price than 11/5, but being a derby game you never know.

Hopfully the pints will be flowing on sunday nite/ monday morning/nite, & the Gerry Fagan parked just off the loughgall Rd ;D

Come on the HARPS........................

i'm sure the Gerry Fagan will pay a flying visit down the loughgall Rd, before going back to rest in McKinneys house  ;)

Passing_Interest

Beefer is some craic alright.
Highlight of the local papers in any given week is reading his column. :D

However one point I agree whole heartedly on is that whatever happens we should be humble in victory and gracious in defeat.

Remember we're all Armagh City by birth
(........its just some of us are Armagh Harps by the grace of God  :P)
Nothing but the same old story.........

thewanderer

the american rule is that when a player transfers to a team in the states he is barred from returning to play for his own club for 60 days. when the 60 days are up he can return at any time and is eligble to play immediatly the transfer is signed back. ps i hope the transfer forms were signed by the harps. a point of note also the boys who returned and then flew back out to boston to play in the all american finals after togging out in the armagh championship 1st round had to be illegal for one club??? was it san fran or ???? rules breach? interesting!

BerfArmagh

Sundays final is a very hard game to call. There are so many permutations. The Ogs in my view have it all to lose. They have the following in their favor

1. County final experience (Crucial, it will be intersting to see how the Harps lads perform on the day)
2. Ronan Clarke (a great player)
3. A water tight defence (especially mallon whom i expect to mark Toal)
4. Better team play
5. They defeated cross.

The Harps on the other hand, will have a real hunger to defeat their arch rivals. They have a stronger midfield & some marque players such as Toal & Quigly (if he plays) I would be a bit concerned about our full back line, as it has a tendency to switch off at times. I believe the game will be won/lose in the Ogs half back line. We need to tackle & track back like tigers, do not allow the ogs half backs to bomb forward... Personally I would put big Philly in mid field with vernon & play swift at CHF along side Toal & young ulty lennon - guys with legs & the ability to compete & run with the ball. Play a 2 man FF line with harpos helping out sweeping up breaking ball....

I think the harps need to drive at the ogs with every opportunity - Vernons performance will be crucial to victory. We are up against it, but i do believe we can win this. Up the Harps

brokencrossbar1

It has been unusual following the build up to the final from a totally neutral standpoint.  I was actually talking to a man down here yesterday about winning finals.  Our local Hurling team missed out on the opportunity to go to senior level this week.  They made a lot of changes on the line before the game and made a lot of errors during it apparently.  The man I spoke to is, like me, a football man and asked me what I thought about winning finals and the sort of tactics that teams use which win/lose the game.  I thought about it and said that the team that can treat the game just like any other game and not a final will be the team who wins.  The team that has the mental capacity to just turn up and play a game of football and not get caught up in the whole occassion will be less nervous and therefore make less mistakes, and finals are won by the team that makes less mistakes as opposed to the team who have the best players.

Because Ogs have been in a few Finals, because they showed great mental strenght to beat us, and because they have an all over steady team I would take them to win.  A derby is always hard to predict but I reckon that Ogs will be able to hold their nerve a small bit better and win by 4.

DuffleKing

I would agree with all of that bc. the only query i would have is the definite capacity within the ogs to self destruct.

everything points to a hard fought win but a poor start by the ogs could spell trouble for them.

fitzroyalty

I never get bogged down over how teams get to finals but thinking about the Ogs played Carrickcruppin (finished 3rd in the league behind Ogs and Cross)
Ahoy! Clans finished 3rd actually!
On this point though it is hard enough to determain who had the harder route. Ogs obviously disposed of Cross which is in itself an historic victory in Armagh football, but apart from that Cruppen and Clann Eireann aren't exactly what you'd describe as top class sides. Harps had Nab, Clans x2 & Granemore (who I'd rate as Div1 standard) and probably have that extra bit of momentum which could go in their favour.