Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Passing_Interest

Wanderer, fair comments on the silly posts about class and money.
You raise an interesting point in your last post - a point I first heard just recently from a proud Ogs man.
But is it really true that the Ogs started as a result of some perceived class distinction on the part if the Harps at the time ?
Or was it not simply the case that the town was big enough for 2 teams given the amount of boys not getting football with the only club in the town ?
Can't remember if Phil's history deals with this issue.
Nothing but the same old story.........

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Passing_Interest on October 06, 2009, 08:04:36 PM
Wanderer, fair comments on the silly posts about class and money.
You raise an interesting point in your last post - a point I first heard just recently from a proud Ogs man.
But is it really true that the Ogs started as a result of some perceived class distinction on the part if the Harps at the time ?
Or was it not simply the case that the town was big enough for 2 teams given the amount of boys not getting football with the only club in the town ?
Can't remember if Phil's history deals with this issue.

Rufus Senior called round and we were taping a copy of Joe McManus's video of the life of Jim McCullough. The Ogs definitely started because there was not enough football for all those that wanted it.

maddog

My understanding of the formation of the ogs was because the Harps could have fielded enough teams to have their own league. Dont think it had anything to do with percieved class etc, just that guys werent getting enough football. I suppose with all the street leagues going on at the time (Navan street for example) it was only natural that a team would form up the other side of the town. Its a pity that the street leagues died off - id say they would have been some craic.

illdecide

You are lucky there are only 2 teams in Armagh...

Lurgan = Clan na Gael, Clann Eireann, St Pauls & St Peters. With Eire Og 1 mile from the Clans and Wolf Tones 2 miles from Clans

I know Armagh have clubs on the outskirts too but i wouldn't imagine they'd be as close as the Lurgan ones, maybe somone from Armagh could educate me on the other clubs on the outskirts of Armagh
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

maddog

Quote from: illdecide on October 07, 2009, 11:48:25 AM

Lurgan = Clan na Gael, Clann Eireann, St Pauls & St Peters. With Eire Og 1 mile from the Clans and Wolf Tones 2 miles from Clans

I know Armagh have clubs on the outskirts too but i wouldn't imagine they'd be as close as the Lurgan ones, maybe somone from Armagh could educate me on the other clubs on the outskirts of Armagh

Why so many clubs - is there a history to that ?
nearest would be the grange i suppose - 2 miles out the Moy road.

lurganblue

Quote from: maddog on October 07, 2009, 12:02:49 PM

Why so many clubs - is there a history to that ?
nearest would be the grange i suppose - 2 miles out the Moy road.

yes. we do f**k all but argue and fight in lurgan... hence so many teams. couldnt agree on the colour of shite  ;D

armagh leg-end

madden about two mile out the road. nab would be close enough as well!
Ard Mhacha Abu

IVEDECIDED

They are only in the vacinity its not as though the Harps and Ogs are competing with them for young players. Lurgan also has St. Marys on its doorstep, although they play in the Antrim league they compete in the North Armagh championship. (Pat McMahon cup) Clans, Clann Eireann, St. Peters, St.Pauls, Eire Og, Wolf Tonnes and Sarsfileds all have their own catchment are of sorts however they all compete frantically for players, facilities and fundraising opportunities! When one club comes up with a good fundraising plan all clubs support it however it usually means that they have to wait to do one themselves as the people of the town be sick of handing out to the Gaelic clubs!

winsamsoon

14,590 population of Armagh city (wikipedia) (Not sure how what percentage kick with the other foot) estimate half???

25,000 (wiki) Population of Lurgan and i would estimate about 13,000 would kick with the other wan) so it is a lot of teams for such a small population.

People make the mistake of thinking that Lurgan is a massive area but when the population is broken down it becomes relatively small in comparison with a lot of places. You can see how 6 or 7 teams in a small area could cause potential problems. All i have done is mentioned religious divisions but this isn't even taking into account the amount of people that are not involved in Gaelic plus the amount of soccer heads that are increasingly prevalent in Lurgan.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

illdecide

Yeah man...but i'd imagine Armagh would be every bit as bad as Lurgan with regarding drinking and anti social behaviour

thewanderer

plenty of left footers in armagh too plus soccer, rugby ones etc. so the amount of Gaelic families get narrowed down. also the teams on the edge of the city tend to get players from both clubs ie madden, grange, tullysarron, ballymacnab and mullabrack. It therefor is not possible to facilitate a 3rd club.

naka

guys what about the camlough area--cruppen, shanes, belleeks and corrinshego all within a very small radius
when i was growing up there was only cruppen

illdecide

Quote from: naka on October 07, 2009, 04:39:00 PM

guys what about the camlough area--cruppen, shanes, belleeks and corrinshego all within a very small radius

aye Naka but that was a long time ago...the population has trebled since then

fitzroyalty

did shane o'neills form as a result of fallout in cruppen? i'd say all the lurgan clubs can trace their formation to a fall out of some sort  :D

bennydorano

Quote from: illdecide on October 07, 2009, 05:00:44 PM
Quote from: naka on October 07, 2009, 04:39:00 PM

aye Naka but that was a long time ago...the population has trebled since then
How did yous end up with so many teams in an around Lurgan, no 'parish' rule??  Clans, Clann Eireann and St Peter's seem very close together for all 3 to thrive. 

Armagh had 3 teams about 20 odd years ago, Naomh Brid were a junior team, nominally from the windmill area.  Suppose there's also the hurlers at Cuchulianns.  Theres plenty of ex-Harps and Ogs lads playing for 'country' teams near Armagh.