Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loughshore lad

Judging by those photos on flicker no 10 for pearse og was Kieran Hughes who was wing back for Armagh in 2002?  What age is he now?  I always thought he was a good robust player.

Al I right in assuming Stephen Kernan didnt start for Cross?  Not dishing the lads as I wouldnt have seen enough to pass comment on his footballing ability but I find it strange he is on the county panel but is not an automatic starter for cross regardlees of how good they are.

Unknown

Quote from: torres on September 06, 2009, 01:31:51 PM
well done to the ogs  ;D cant see anyone beating them  :( OGS V ST PATS FINAL .
Firstly id like to say last nyts match wasn't the best i've ever seen both teams play, cross only managed 1 point in nearly 45mins of play and that in no way reflects the ogs defence, I thot they struggled to work the ball out.. But that was just my observation of the game!! U cannot rule out the Armagh harps for the final/winning.. Big enough task next sat nyt, think it will defo be a better match than last nyt! And I am almost certain granemore will beat st oats this evening.. Going by there last 2 performances against kileavy they are defo nothing to fear by any  side left in the championship!

Onion Bag

I also fancy Granemore to beat St Pats, the championship has been blowin wide open now, the Ogs should go ahead and win in it, ut there a couple of potential banana skins left
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Unknown

I reckon granemore will beat st pats by 4 points.. The ogs seem to have the ryt frame of mind at the moment.. Well most of them do!! Suposedly away to a spa retreat today for relaxation, altho I'm not sure if the whole panel will attend as I'm sure any Armagh person nos there are a few of the lads like to celebrate it will be there downfall if they have treated there win as there championship final!!

yellowcard

Well done to the Ogs on putting an end to the run of consecutie county titles from the greatest club team ever. I thought it was a good game of football and proved that it doesn't take a bucketload of scores to make for a good contest. Ogs were cleaned out at midfield but there full back line was outstanding and their strong running and support play tore the Cross defence apart on occasion. I thought the referee had a great game and whilst the Ogs were refused a stone wall penalty and a baffling disallowed point he was at least consistent overall.

I think what is evident from a Cross point of view is that whilst they have a lot of talented younger players they will not have the mental toughness and leadershp of the likes of McEntees, Bellew, Donaldson, McConville etc. These men were the cornerstone of the team and will not be replaced easily. The McEntees and Clarke were probably Cross's best players yesterday and too many of the younger lads huffed and puffed. I've seen Tony Kernan oftn enough now to believe that he is not a county standard footballer.

When the chips were down and Ogs needed a score it was Clarke who came up with the goods and it was he who showed true leadership when it was needed. Hopefully now the Ogs will go on and win it and if they keep their feet on the ground there is no club left with the players to beat them.

Unknown

The only kernan that is county standard is aaron... The rest of them r only on the county sqaud because their father still has a big say!! Stephen kernan is tottally useless can't make cross team but is still a "county player"???

Onion Bag

the teams left in the c'ship,

div 1: Pearse Ogs, St Pats, Clan Na Gael,

div 2: Granemore, Whitecross, Clan Eireann, Harps,

the gulf aint that big between the divisions, and i expect The Ogs to be the only Div 1 team left after all the Q/F are played
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Unknown

Harps v Ogs final this year... Will be brilliant for Armagh! Altho I defo think the harps can take the championship this year!! Cheated out of it last year against cross.. Armagh Harps senior champions???

Throw ball

I believe Stephen Kernan was injured and not togged out. He had a knee operation earlier in the year.

Although I do not believe the 4 Kernans are good enough to start for the county some of the criticism they get is unwarranted. When Cross were in the All Ireland series last year three of them still made themselves available for Armagh for a couple of games - while other players have not in the past. Also when Armagh last won the Ulster under 21 title Tony Kernan made himself available for the first round game against Tyrone, got injured and missed the All Ireland club final. Their commitment cannot be questioned. I also thought that Paul Kernan played well last night when he was on Ronan Clarke.

yellowcard

I think Harps are probably the only team left who could trouble Ogs on their day. However if The Ogs bring their 'A' game it will not matter because player for player they are well ahead of the rest.

yellowcard

Quote from: Throw ball on September 06, 2009, 04:28:13 PM
I believe Stephen Kernan was injured and not togged out. He had a knee operation earlier in the year.

Although I do not believe the 4 Kernans are good enough to start for the county some of the criticism they get is unwarranted. When Cross were in the All Ireland series last year three of them still made themselves available for Armagh for a couple of games - while other players have not in the past. Also when Armagh last won the Ulster under 21 title Tony Kernan made himself available for the first round game against Tyrone, got injured and missed the All Ireland club final. Their commitment cannot be questioned. I also thought that Paul Kernan played well last night when he was on Ronan Clarke.

Would agree, his committment is not in question and he is obviously a decent player just that I haven't seen enough to suggest that he is county standard. Paul had an ok game last night and even though Clarke had a good game PK done as well as anyone could be expected.

Family guy

Lads did johnny murtagh play for cross or was he a sub,he left the states last week to go home????

Unknown

I think the harps are a far better side than any1 left in championship.. We have not seen the full harps side yet and feel they may have a few surprises up their sleeves!! A better attitude and bigger numbers at the trainings and matches I have watched the past number of weeks since the SACKING of nudie Hughes..

fitzroyalty

Would agree Harps will have a huge say in the qfs and an Ogs/Harps final is a huge possibility, probably the two strongest teams left in the championship. That said, the remaining teams will still all fancy their chances

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Family guy on September 06, 2009, 04:43:30 PM
Lads did johnny murtagh play for cross or was he a sub,he left the states last week to go home????

He came on very late.