Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewanderer

what a load of cr-p. there was no in fighting among players just bad management team and worse county board running the show.

slievegullion

Well there is of course the fact that a player leaked tactics and team before the monaghan match, i suppose some people might consider that infighting.

umgolaarmagh

Quote from: slievegullion on August 06, 2009, 02:52:42 PM
Well there is of course the fact that a player leaked tactics and team before the monaghan match, i suppose some people might consider that infighting.

What tactics are you on about, it was hardly a secret the way he had armagh playing for the last two years

thewanderer

yes umgola s--t with no management tactics or confidence. ( i can still see the manager with head in hands looking up into the hogan stand when wexford scored instead of doing some thing )  >:(

stpauls

are you sure it was a player that leaked the tactics?

fitzroyalty

Was there not a bit of a hissy fit when Paddy McKeever & co were shown the door?

corn02

Quote from: umgolaarmagh on August 06, 2009, 10:01:17 PM

What tactics are you on about, it was hardly a secret the way he had armagh playing for the last two years

You can't honestly suggest that the leaking of tactics and marking assignments didn't have a big impact. Anyone who thinks it was not a big deal is living in loopyville.

mackers

Quote from: corn02 on August 07, 2009, 10:27:13 AM

You can't honestly suggest that the leaking of tactics and marking assignments didn't have a big impact. Anyone who thinks it was not a big deal is living in loopyville.
I'll have to admit to living in loopyville so........seriously corn, marking assignments would've been fairly obvious. The one that had the most effect on the outcome of the game was AOR on Rory Woods but that was jumping out after the team was selected. McEnaney pulled a master stroke by keeping Aidan close to goal and exposing a lack of mobility and counter-acting Aidan's strengths particularly his passing. But I don't think he would've needed a mole to work out that Aidan was going to take Woods.

As others have said, our "tactics" have been the same for about three years now, which is a depressing truth.......
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

The GAA

Yeah, that's about right mackers. the obvious question from the game is why we left aidan at corner back ffs. how difficult would it have been to make a switch?

slievegullion

Quote from: The GAA on August 07, 2009, 11:03:13 AM

Yeah, that's about right mackers. the obvious question from the game is why we left aidan at corner back ffs. how difficult would it have been to make a switch?

True. You could see a switch was needed after the first 5 minutes.

Anyway still doesn't take away from the fact of the leak.

mackers

Quote from: slievegullion on August 07, 2009, 12:01:26 PM

But it does take away from McDonnell's statement that we were beat because of this leak. Really don't think so...........
Yes, it's very annoying that a leak would exist but there was nothing mysterious about our marking strategies or tactics and that's the reason that McDonnell failed, we hadn't moved on and our tactics had become stale and very, very predictable........
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

slievegullion

Quote from: mackers on August 07, 2009, 01:24:50 PM
Quote from: slievegullion on August 07, 2009, 12:01:26 PM

But it does take away from McDonnell's statement that we were beat because of this leak. Really don't think so...........
Yes, it's very annoying that a leak would exist but there was nothing mysterious about our marking strategies or tactics and that's the reason that McDonnell failed, we hadn't moved on and our tactics had become stale and very, very predictable........

I disagree.

Again this has been talked about in the other thread but we drew? It went to extra-time and we were beat by the smallest of margins? Not to give Peter McDonnell any credit because to be honest I was not one of his biggest fans as a manager but how do you know what kind of difference the leak might have made? Considering how close the game was, if the leak made any difference at all surely theres a possibility it may have had a bearing on the result.

charlie stubbs

intermediate predictions

tones to win by 3 extra experience in tight championship games over recent years to pull us through

ballyhegan by 2 think they will have the bit between their teeth after their surprise win against madden in the last round.  keady getting talked up by few posters, think ballyhegan be too strong

sarsfields cullaville tie of the round and in many peoples eyes the final.  sarsfields finishing season strongly, choked in the championship last year, cullaville after a horrific round have picked up twop wins in a row and will want to return to the final for the 3rd year in a row.  sarsfields by 1

silverbridge v newtown hard game to call.two sides on poor runs that have only managed 3 league wins between them this season.  newtown will have the benefit of having played 2 championship games this year and kevin o rourke could be the difference here.  st.michaels by 2

corn02

Quote from: mackers on August 07, 2009, 10:59:15 AM

I'll have to admit to living in loopyville so........seriously corn, marking assignments would've been fairly obvious. The one that had the most effect on the outcome of the game was AOR on Rory Woods but that was jumping out after the team was selected. McEnaney pulled a master stroke by keeping Aidan close to goal and exposing a lack of mobility and counter-acting Aidan's strengths particularly his passing. But I don't think he would've needed a mole to work out that Aidan was going to take Woods.

As others have said, our "tactics" have been the same for about three years now, which is a depressing truth.......

But that's specious reasoning though, isn't it?

I don't think it was a given that Aidan would pick up Woods. In fact, it was not a given that Aidan would be man-marking anyone. To know he was taking Woods, he deployed him further forward than usual. If he didn;t know until the start of the match the witch would not have been made before the throw-in and crucial scores were lost.

Of course not switching him out of the corner played a part. But knowing who was marking who, and that goes for all the defenders, gives you a massive advantage. YYou can shape your gameplan knowing that there will be no surprises.

I think it is naive to see it as just tactics that could have been worked out, implications run deeper than that and tactics and gameplans are just not that black and white.

umgolaarmagh

Quote from: corn02 on August 07, 2009, 03:20:27 PM
Quote from: mackers on August 07, 2009, 10:59:15 AM

But that's specious reasoning though, isn't it?

I don't think it was a given that Aidan would pick up Woods. In fact, it was not a given that Aidan would be man-marking anyone. To know he was taking Woods, he deployed him further forward than usual. If he didn;t know until the start of the match the witch would not have been made before the throw-in and crucial scores were lost.

Of course not switching him out of the corner played a part. But knowing who was marking who, and that goes for all the defenders, gives you a massive advantage. YYou can shape your gameplan knowing that there will be no surprises.

I think it is naive to see it as just tactics that could have been worked out, implications run deeper than that and tactics and gameplans are just not that black and white.

at the end of the day it was a derby match and armagh lost by a point, if it had of been the other way there would be no talk of leaks and tactics

two dromintee posters persistant on blaming the leaks for the defeat!!!  Maybe there is an underlying reason for this!!!!!!!!