Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fitzroyalty

Clans & Cullyhanna by the end of the week will be sick looking at each other, playing tomorrow night in the B semi final and then again on Sunday in Division1. Pats will be full of confidence after their 18pt win v Cruppen whereas ourselves are in dire need of a victory to keep us from slipping down towards the relegation zone.

corn02

Quote from: slievegullion on July 28, 2009, 01:20:52 PM
Was this debate already had?

Yeah, wasn;t really a debat, more just innappropriate jokes.

thewanderer

see big joe in the irish news today some outfit for a bigbig man.

yellowcard

Is Dyas available for Dromintees c'ship campaign?

charlie stubbs

Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 27, 2009, 11:52:13 PM
Pity we didn't get the glamour tie of Tones vs Highmoss  ;)

want to avoid them to be honest cant see us beating them

Smokin Joe

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Clansman on July 27, 2009, 12:26:04 PM
every club has slabbers but ours are probably the worst. Its most of the older generation who NEVER praise the players no matter what it is just all negative comments . Every week on the sidelines its the same old shit . Shouting too the Ref " Take it yourself " . Even after a win they find something to moan about. Im not saying all of them are like that its just a handful who make the rest look bad. Anyway well done to the players for a great effort so far this season and i know you will see it through in the last few matches. Good Luck

I have never met a bigger set of know it alls than the older Clans men... Its a joke.

The conspiracy theories an all these fellas spout are unreal.

qub la la la

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 28, 2009, 06:46:05 PM
every club has slabbers but ours are probably the worst. Its most of the older generation who NEVER praise the players no matter what it is just all negative comments . Every week on the sidelines its the same old shit . Shouting too the Ref " Take it yourself " . Even after a win they find something to moan about. Im not saying all of them are like that its just a handful who make the rest look bad. Anyway well done to the players for a great effort so far this season and i know you will see it through in the last few matches. Good Luck

I have never met a bigger set of know it alls than the older Clans men... Its a joke.

all in a days work nail!

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: qub la la la on July 28, 2009, 06:47:47 PM

all in a days work nail!

Unfortunately. Does my head in listening to it. Did you know Joe Kernan was still managing Armagh this year and the Kernans refused to pass to Ryan Henderson against Monaghan when he came on apparently??

Thats the sorta shit they talk, I just sit there and nod.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 28, 2009, 06:56:27 PM

all in a days work nail!

Unfortunately. Does my head in listening to it. Did you know Joe Kernan was still managing Armagh this year and the Kernans refused to pass to Ryan Henderson against Monaghan when he came on apparently??

It's not a conspiracy, it's all true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 28, 2009, 06:59:04 PM

all in a days work nail!

f**k!! They were right all along!! Gonna have to start a thread on the main page about this!!

Aghdavoyle

poor oul henderson. He must have spoke out of turn

charlie stubbs

Armagh Intermediate Championship 1st Round 26 July 2009
Wolfe Tones 1-13 Collegeland 2-7
Despite trailing underdogs Collegeland by 2 points at the interval, a marked improvement in the second half saw Wolfe Tones progress to the quarter final of the intermediate championship where they will have to contest a local derby with St.Peter's Lurgan. 
The game was played at Maghery and the Tones players where hoping they could have similar success to that of last year, where at the same stage of the competition they disposed of Annaghmore at the same venue.  However, things did not go to plan four minutes into the game Collegeland fired to the net to lead 1-00 to no score.  A direct high ball into the Tones defence caused confusion and the ball broke to the full forward who drove the ball past both Kieran Murray and Connor McCarron from 8 yards. 
After seven minutes of the contest the Tones had yet to register a score and it took one of their defenders to raise the white flag for the first time.  Finnian Moriarty added hid weigh to the attack and after picking up a break ball was able to split the posts from 35 yards.  This seemed to kick the Tones into gear and the dangerous Emmet Haughian was able to reduce the arrears to one point after a smart turn on the left flank.  The Tones pulled level a minute later after James Lavery was able to win a clean catch at midfield, he again fed Emmet who turned his man again and restored parity between the two sides. 
Collegeland went ahead for the second time in the game after 13 mintes when their centre half forward appeared to win the ball via a slide tackle, he proceeded to carry the ball forward and strike a fine score with his left foot.  The Tones response was immediate and after Finnian Moriarty was fouled Emmet Haughian was able to score his third point of the game and first from a placed ball. 
At the midway stage of the first half, Wolfe Tones where able to edge in front for the first time, when James Lavery was able to round two men and score a point from 30 yards.  Rather than set a platform for the Tones to push on, they where hit with a sucker punch for the second time when Collegeland netted their second three pointer of the half.  Again it was a long ball into the heart of the defence which caused confusion between Michael Carson and David Heaney and the Collegeland no.12 cooly finished to the net leaving Kieran Murray with no chance.  After 21 minutes a goal separated the sides whenever, the Collegeland no.8 was afforded too much space on the Tones 21 yard line and he duly took advantage with a point. 
After the Tones kicked two wides, on 28th minute the Division 3 side where able to increase their lead when a free was awarded against David Heaney for a push in the back and the no.13 was able to convert.  The Tones finished the half strongly, and Finnian Moriarty found Conor Coleman who pointed from 40 yards and after a foul on Chris McAlinden, Emmet Haughian pointed a second free of the half to leave the Tones trailing by 2 points at the half way stage. 
Half time
Wolfe Tones 0-07 Collegeland 2-03

Two minutes into the second half Collegeland went further ahead with a terrific free from 50 yards from the wing from their no.12.  This seemed to lift Collegeland momentarily and their no.7 was able to run half the length of the field and add a fine score moments later. 
After four minutes of the second half, Gerard Kavanagh who had been introduced as a halftime substitute made an immediate impact and was hauled down for a penalty.  Chris McAlinden mad no mistake from the penalty spot striking the ball to the keeper's right.  Moments later, Gerard was causing more havoc in the Collegeland defence breaking the ball down to Finnian Moriarty who's shot whistled across the face of goal.  The Tones at this stage looked like a resurgent side and after a great block by Emmet Haughian in the Collegeland twenty one, he was able to set up Conor Coleman for the equalising point.  Conor's midfield partner James Lavery, was then able to land a great score with his weaker left foot after winning a 50/50 ball putting the Tones ahead after thirty-nine minutes. 
After Collegeland kicked two wides, the Coleman's Conor and Brendan combined and Brendan kicked over a fine score from 35 yards.  The Tones where now mixing the football up a bit and a direct ball into Gerard Kavanagh who was proving a real handful, culminated in Gerard kicking over his first score of the evening from an acute angle after 48 minutes stretching the lead to 3 points.  The Tones then went to sleep immediately and a quickly taken free kick resulted in the Collegeland no.21 reducing the deficit to two points, a very dangerous lead to have. 
In the 51st minute, Brendan Coleman was able to score a real captains score from 35 yards after great persistence by Gerard Kavanagh.  With one minute remaining Collegeland where able to score a free, but it was a goal they craved at this stage of the game and they could well have got this, if it wasn't for a superb take from David Heaney under a high ball that Collegeland had been using for most of the evening. 
One minute into injury time, Johnny McCarron was then left in oceans of space on the left flank and was found by a great cross field pass by Chris McAlinden.  Johnny took one solo and slotted the ball over from 21 yards and this seemed to be the insurance score that the Tones required.  Collegeland had the last say of the game, when their no.21 won a break ball and kicked a consolation score. 
This was a much improved second half performance from the Tones and should be seen as a morale boosting victory.  The focus over the next few weeks will be to get clear of the relegation dogfight and hopefully advance to the semi-finals of the championship, where we where so unfortunate to lose last year to Cullaville. 
Tones team: Kieran Murray, Michael Carson, Connor McCarron, Chris McCarron, Niall Geoghegan, Finnian Moriarty, David Heaney, James Lavery, Conor Coleman, Chris McAlinden, Johnny McCarron, Brendan Coleman, John Toal, John McKeever, Emmet Haughian
Subs Used: Gerard Kavanagh for John McKeever, John McKeever for John Toal

charlie stubbs

i went to the Mullaghbawn Clans game the other week Clans far deserving of the 2 points, only side trrying play football.  I was by myself so just started talking to this older clans supporter, just about general armagh football before the game etc he seemed relatively sound until the ball was threw in.  every free gave to mullaghawn he was screaming in my ear then there was words exchanged with the mbawn supporters.  i actually left ten mins before end was getting a sore head!ref wasnt even bad!

ogshead

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on July 28, 2009, 07:05:13 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 28, 2009, 06:59:04 PM

all in a days work nail!

f**k!! They were right all along!! Gonna have to start a thread on the main page about this!!

I heard a brilliant conspiracy story today that made me laugh out load. Someone was talking about the Peter Mc Donnell exit statement last week and was talking about the tactics getting leaked. They said that was because Joe Kernan had been coaching Monaghan prior to the game. Conspiracy story of the year I reckon!!