Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IVEDECIDED

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 29, 2009, 11:32:30 AM
I was up the other night and had a very interesting conversation with a few Ogs' lads and a Harps girl.   The girl told me who her dad is and I would actually have rathered listen to what she had to say than the lads as they didn't seem like they had much of a clue, but anyway.  They all reckoned that the Ogs or Harps would beat Cross this year with a bit to spare.  Now factor in a lot of pints and a bit of banter, but they were pretty adamant that Cross were a finished team and that the Og's would dominate over the next few years.  I haven't seen any games this year but I reckon that the results and scorelines would suggest that if anything the gap is getting bigger at the minute.

What would people think?

I think they were on drugs lad!!! If you joined Harps and Ogs they wouldnt beat Cross this year and the only thing the Ogs will dominate over next few years is Armagh city such is the state the Harps are in!!

BerfArmagh

last comment is a bit OTT. If the Harps & Ogs joined together, I would be confident with the pick that they could beat cross. Ye have a short Memory, Harps were robbed last year by some dismal refereeing & Umpires. Cross were holding on.... If Ogs had a mid field in last years final it could have been a different story. The Mc Entees, belllews & mc convilles of this world are'nt getting any younger, & while they have some fine new young players, they did'nt exactely cover theselves in glory in last years AICF.

The main problem with Armagh football at the minute is the dimise in North Armagh, maybe it was too many clubs, or too much competition from soccer (I don't know) but to see a once great clans struggling is not something which is good for Armagh football. Cross's dominance will end at some stage. The main problem as I see it at the minute is, if you look at 95% of senior club teams now, they are full of Minors, U 21's and guys under the age of 25. There is very little experience & battle hardened guys anymore. I remember when the Harps were dominant, we had plenty of youth, but a back bone of county & experienced men such as 2 Grimleys, Clarke, Toner, O Kane, Corvan, Rath etc... You don't see that any more....

The Iceman

Is the game dominated by younger men because the older lads have too much going on? Are they picking up more injuries than they used to 10-20 years ago? Is the game too fast now for the late 20 early 30 something's?
I wonder if other sports like Rugby are finding the same statistics? Or is it just Gaelic games?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

winsamsoon

Iceman that would be an interesting study because it clearly is a visible problem in the GAA, at club level mostly
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

qub la la la

think the injury thing is a valid point. always hear the oul ones about the club giving out about physios and the like and saying "there was no hamstrings in my day"

armaghniac

QuoteIs the game too fast now for the late 20 early 30 something's?

Perhaps. But a lot of clubs would take John Donaldson if they could get him.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

The Iceman

Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2009, 05:50:27 PM

I'm sure they would be glad of him - but the trend now is more youth and one or two old brigade whereas in days gone by it would seem the old brigade made up the majority of the team.....
Either way some of you are bound to have contacts with local rugby teams - are they older - the Og's boys play against Armagh rugby team in a charity game every year - what age are those boyos?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

pintsofguinness

Tir na og beat the bridge tonight - 3 or 4 points in it I think
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

BenDover

Quote from: The Iceman on July 01, 2009, 07:20:47 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 01, 2009, 05:50:27 PM

I'm sure they would be glad of him - but the trend now is more youth and one or two old brigade whereas in days gone by it would seem the old brigade made up the majority of the team.....
Either way some of you are bound to have contacts with local rugby teams - are they older - the Og's boys play against Armagh rugby team in a charity game every year - what age are those boyos?

when the Ogs played Armagh RFC the past few years they've been all young fella's (and some of them would be dead on with the round ball in hand)

full back

Cullyhanna & Dromintee drew 1-9 apiece in the South Armagh B C'ship final last night
Replay next Wednesday

winsamsoon

Lads does anyone know the exact date for the all county B championship final

corn02

Quote from: full back on July 02, 2009, 08:09:18 AM
Cullyhanna & Dromintee drew 1-9 apiece in the South Armagh B C'ship final last night
Replay next Wednesday

How Cullyhanna did not win this one I will never know.

Our boys never got going and really under performed. Were seven down with about 10 minutes left and blitzed Cullyhanna in the final moments with Cathal O'Neill scoring an excellent last-gasp point to tie it up.

illdecide

Quote from: winsamsoon on July 02, 2009, 12:36:33 PM
Lads does anyone know the exact date for the all county B championship final

6th August saan (i think) apparently it's the week b4 the senior championship ???
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

winsamsoon

anportmorforjfc

What is the reason for the intermediate championship starting before the junior and senior?