Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 04, 2009, 05:37:53 PM
Terrible news for Charlie and for Armagh.  Reports say that it was a hospital ball and the full back shouldered him full frontal.  there doesn't seem to be much made of this tackle, which by description sounds a small bit similar to Francie's on Mickey Linden a few years ago after a hospital pass from Coulter.

Time now to look forward and see what can be done.  Given the nature of the game that Tyrone play I have a wild suggestion.  Obviously play Toner out round the middle, but throw Aaron Kernan in there.  He can run all day, is comfortable on the ball, Tyrone never dominate the mid field sector so there is no real need for a dominating pair in the middle.  Only a thought.

I like the thinking outside the box BC, but wouldn't go for that at all.

I get what you're saying about not needing to dominate, but he would be operating in a cluttered zonbe and that would take away his best attributes - galloping into space and having time on the ball to pick out a great pass.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: corn02 on May 04, 2009, 05:43:43 PM
Terrible news for Charlie and for Armagh.  Reports say that it was a hospital ball and the full back shouldered him full frontal.  there doesn't seem to be much made of this tackle, which by description sounds a small bit similar to Francie's on Mickey Linden a few years ago after a hospital pass from Coulter.

Time now to look forward and see what can be done.  Given the nature of the game that Tyrone play I have a wild suggestion.  Obviously play Toner out round the middle, but throw Aaron Kernan in there.  He can run all day, is comfortable on the ball, Tyrone never dominate the mid field sector so there is no real need for a dominating pair in the middle.  Only a thought.

I get what you're saying about not needing to dominate, but he would be operating in a cluttered zonbe and that would take away his best attributes - galloping into space and having time on the ball to pick out a great pass.

I actually think it might be a case that both teams would not use their midfield at all and that there would actually be more space.  Keep the half back line deep, do not get involved in a slugging match between the 50's, play McEvoy in goals(you'll love me for saying that) hit the wing positions with the kick outs and run the ball into the space to allow the longer pace into the FF line.  Toner and McKeever can hold the centre and the wing backs and Aaron can run like fug forward creating the overlap.

corn02

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 04, 2009, 06:15:31 PM

I actually think it might be a case that both teams would not use their midfield at all and that there would actually be more space.  Keep the half back line deep, do not get involved in a slugging match between the 50's, play McEvoy in goals(you'll love me for saying that) hit the wing positions with the kick outs and run the ball into the space to allow the longer pace into the FF line.  Toner and McKeever can hold the centre and the wing backs and Aaron can run like fug forward creating the overlap.
I do indeed love you now.  :P

Harpo

Harps beat Clans by a point............brutal match IMO.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: Skiddybadoo on May 04, 2009, 04:15:26 PM
Quote from: Sandy Hill on May 04, 2009, 03:42:46 PM
Quotehis jaw is broke in 2 places he will be out for 12 weeks.

............ by which time we'll be well and truly out of the AI Championship!

Sure you don't rate Charlie anyway, Sandy.  Or have you changed your opinion.

Skiddy, I don't think I ever said that I didn't rate him - I said that I had a reservation about him! Having said that, there's no doubt that we'll miss him big-time.
"Stercus accidit"

mackers

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 04, 2009, 06:15:31 PM

Think that the obvious replacement is your club mate McKenna, although I still reckon he has some way to go to be an inter county midfielder, as you say Tyrone don't really use their midfield and as such the game would suit David. He has tons of ability on the ball and plenty of pace and Vernon's bad luck could prove to be a big opportunity for him.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

fcuksake

I think the final score from Harps game was 1-06 to 0-08.

I didnt get to the game tonight but from what I hear it was an awful game.

A win is a win.
I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody.

winsamsoon

Interesting,what was this harps game in because the clans had no match. I take it you guys are refering to Clann Eireann?? I have seen several posts on here refering to Clann Eireann as the clans but i always thought there was only one team called that and it was Clan Na Gael. This is the case in North Armagh anyway. just as a matter of interest who would the rest of you guys call the clans????
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

The GAA

Decent game on sunday - made all the sweeter by an ogs steward letting me slip in for nothing!

Armagh played some nice football with the strong breeze in the first half. with marty o'rourke, stevie and duffy all linking well.
vernon was competing hard around the middle but he had no help from McKenna, who looked intimidated by whelan.
disappointed with forker, who made good runs and got into good positions but could not old onto the ball.

full back line was solid, although donaghy made a lot of errors in possession. mallon was great.
rafferty bombed forward well but, again, hasn't any defensive awareness at all. ak did his usual job and wasneat and tidy. harte will have a plan for him come the 31st. McKeever had a poor first 20 mins - seemed not to know what his instructions were. eventually when he dropped off the roaming brogan he picked up a lot of loose ball and tightened everything up ithink brogan scored 5 o dublin's 6 first half points.

for dublin, they seemed to lack any sort of structure or plan. lally started wing back on duffy and got roasted. cullen couldn't get near o'rourke and the poor corner back on McDonnell got an awful lesson too. whelan dominated midfield for long periods and looks to be moving well. not sure abot ross mcconnell. alan brogan had a good first half and lally did well when he was moved to wing forward.

the second half was a bit of a farce with the entire team changed. overal it was a good run out but definitely lacked bite.
terrible news on big charlie. best ishes to the fella.

davo

Thought the armagh team played well. the full back line was rock solid. Andy Mallon totally cleaning sherlock

I thought the half back line was also very good. rafferty caused the dubs alot of trouble going forward and was assured in his defensive duties, mckeever when he switched to the holding role mopped up and tackled anything that moved extremely well, aaron kernan was again very assured on the ball and gave some nice passes.

vernon was good in midfield, getting some strong tackles in and mckenna would need more game time if he is to be ready for tyrone.

Duffy was the pick of the half forwards and will feature in the tyrone game either starting or coming on as a sub. O'rourke got through a mountain of work and this match will stand him in good stead.i thought brian mallon also put in a lot of work and scored a nice point.

Mc Donnell was brilliant. If he plays like this against tyrone they will not be able to cope with him. here's hoping. henderson scored some lovely points and will feature in the championship at some stage.

naka

Quote from: davo on May 05, 2009, 03:26:22 PM
mckenna would need more game time if he is to be ready for tyrone.

have we any more friendlys lined up
are armagh heading to spain, bath anywhere this year

aroundincircles

Has Big Audi left Tullysaran or was he sacked or what?

winsamsoon

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Sandy Hill

Quote from: aroundincircles on May 05, 2009, 07:00:01 PM
Has Big Audi left Tullysaran or was he sacked or what?

Heard last night that he was pushed.
"Stercus accidit"

corn02

Quote from: winsamsoon on May 05, 2009, 09:33:09 PM

Ruth baby ruth ;D

Win this did not cause friction before? I would delete it lad.